Metroid mix that needs some feedback...

I like your drums sampling alot. You had some good sequencing stuff and some good fills/breakneck stuff. However the production needs to step up a little bit. The drums need to be a little more up front and punchy. Also, some counter melodies and other musical arrangements need to happen or else people will call it a midi rip w/drums.

You have a very slick and dark idea going. With a little production polish and some creative arrangement I think it will do just fine.

So...I need some harder kicking beats, a counter melody (like I like making arpaggioes..and those are usually good counters), maybe some sampling from game as a melody? Anyone else have ideas? I'll post a newer version after a little work...thanks for the help so far though!

The keys are intentionally off from the original...its not a midi, I wrote the notes from my head til it sounded close...I wanted a diminished feel...

Hmm, well now that you put it in that light I guess its good. Like I said it might just be me who finds it unpleasant. But I'm willing to ignore that part because I like what you did with the Brinstar feel - that was my favorite zone music in the game and I find it wayy to hard to remix myself. So don't get me wrong I like your remix :P

this needs quite a bit of work.

there's a lot of empty space in the whole track that needs filling, pads or strings of some kind would help. yes countermelody can do that but often that's not enough. the drums at times are ok...but most of the time i just hear the same loop with a little bit of processing done to it. the kick needs a lot more punch...use some compression on it if you haven't already.

the stuff that you have modulating at different parts are pretty cool ala 1:20

oh yeah the bass feels like it needs to be varied as well.

This isn't bad at all, the Green Brinstar part in particular is made of win, but the Metroid 1 Brinstar theme sounds strange. I know you wanted to give it a different feel, but are the notes you're using still in the same key? Might be a stupid question, I can't quite tell, but it sounds like they might not be. I think if you actually transpose the song into a different key instead of doing it by ear, that'd sound great. If you already did, then ignore this part. The ending could use some work, and maybe a little more to flesh out the song in parts to keep it sounding empty, but this is a really really good start. I'm looking forward to hearing the finished version of this!

So...punchy kick...what that mean :D? Sorry, not really familiar with the term. I still need to work on the metroid 1 brinstar notes, I am doing them all by ear and I know they are a bit off, but I haven't quite nailed it yet...I'm gonna get my friend who is particularly good at note descrimination to help out with it because I'm a bit lost to tell you the truth :P.

The little sound effects added in the part after the death sound aren't quite done, actually I just barely added them and they definitely need work, I'm gonna have a little almost breakbeat made out of samus sound sampling...you'll enjoy, I swearz.

Besides all that, I'm thinking of completely re-vamping the drums for the intro and metroid 1 sections. They seem kinda stale or repetetive. I'm also gonna be dropping a couple of audio tracks over the top, vocoded, for descriptions of metroid beings as per a suggestion I recieved from a friend.

If anyone else has a good suggestion please tell me, I want this mix to be win.

• 1 month later...

Hahahaha, this needs so much more than just feedback.

This track is completely lacking in the layering department. The arrangement is weak and thin, the "beetz omg" you added do absolutely nothing to hide the lack of musical competence. What I mean is, you need to add an extra level of complexity.

Experiment with layers of instruments that are consistently used in the song, and ones that come in and out of the song. Write some basslines that add character to the song, add some harmonies. The techno/trance/house/crap style you're going for now sucks (yes, I said it sucks, because the genre sucks, eat dicks, all of you), consider adding some elements of other genres in here so that you have a more solid foundation and then you can add in cooler lead sections and more exciting chord progressions without it sounding off.

My best advice is to start over, what you have now doesn't work at all, and if you want to take all my advice above it's best to restart. But I know you wont, you'll end up going this route, finishing it and submitting a total turdbomb like all the other countless NO's in the judging forum.

As good as your input is Snappleman, the context you used was harsh and unnecessary. I'd take it pretty seriously if my music was called crap, which still is, when compared to OC material; however, the fact remains that it's real hurtful when you put some one down like that. I don't care if you've got +1200 posts and could quite possibly be a popular person in this forum. And I couldn't give a rat's ass if you are a director of an entire music project - the fact remains that you put this hard-tryin' remixer down. If I was Bombshellboy, I'd not do as you "suggested" for this remix, just to spite you - whether or not I hit pay dirt on OCR. Liontamer or JJT wouldn't say something quite like this, unless they were joking, so why should you? Sorry Snappleman, but I had to say this since I was a victim of bullying and all that jazz, so I'm pretty sensitive to this shit.

@ Bombshellboy: you probably should listen to what Snappleman here has to say, his tips are nonetheless good...just yeah don't take this stuff as seriously as me ;-)