Poor Rejected Me Needs Help (T_T)

HoboKa

A lot of the stuff in your song was also off tempo. Like this:

http://www.ngst.nu/Offtempo.mp3

Here's what it could have sounded like.

http://www.ngst.nu/Ontempo.mp3

I think was JJT was getting at is that if you can't tell the difference between these two, or if you can't tell that what happens in the first of these two samples happens in your song as well, then making music isn't for you, because anyone who can tell the difference finds the first sample to be very unpleasant to listen to and will think the same about your music. The thing is, I kinda enjoyed the song up until when it started getting fucked up like that and I don't understand why you would do that if you were able to tell whether individual parts in a song are off tempo or not. Either you can't, or you didn't listen the song through before submitting it. Both of these possibilities warrant instant rejections from Liontamer. Your new, shorter clip does not suffer from being off tempo, however, so I'm going to have to assume you are not tempo-deaf, but didn't listen the song through before submitting it.

A lot of the stuff on your song was also off tempo. Like this:

http://www.ngst.nu/Offtempo.mp3

Here's what it could have sounded like.

http://www.ngst.nu/Ontempo.mp3

I think was JJT was getting at is that if you can't tell the difference between these two, or if you can't tell that what happens in the first of these two samples happens in your song as well, then making music isn't for you, because anyone who can tell the difference finds the first sample to be very unpleasant to listen to and will think the same about your music. The thing is, I kinda enjoyed the song up until when it started getting fucked up like that and I don't understand why you would do that if you were able to tell whether individual parts in a song are off tempo or not. Either you can't, or you didn't listen the song through before submitting it. Both of these possibilities warrant instant rejections from Liontamer. Your new, shorter clip does not suffer from being off tempo, however, so I'm going to have to assume you are not tempo-deaf, but didn't listen the song through before submitting it.

Oh god the first one does burn your ears...I can tell the difference here, it's as if the piano and the drum are colliding with one another and not working in unison. My remix is that bad huh.

I just have no experience whatsoever with basses and drums, my better field is Pads and orchestral elements. But drums and bass are very new to me. I sort of knew that the drum felt out of place but I didn't know HOW to address it, thanks to Fishy I think I'm getting a hang of it ^^.

He didn't mean you need to have that many variations for the sample, he meant you'll need at least that many throughout the entire piece.

Add hihat hits on 1 and 2 and that part will sound more natural.

here is your rhythm:

1 2 3 4

Offbeat is like:

1 and 2 and 3 and 4

it's the ands

Ah yeah I see :P, this wasn't my strength in piano...that was why I had to practice quite a bit, though when I did get it right, it was like riding a bicycle for me - never forgot the rhythm.

http://media.putfile.com/Improved-Tyrano-Lair-Remixmethinks

This is taking everything I have supposedly learned. It was a lot of new stuff to absorb, so bare with me if this is still far from what you guys intended me to do. BUT, I think this is a major improvement over my old drum patterns...

http://media.putfile.com/Improved-Tyrano-Lair-Remixmethinks

This is taking everything I have supposedly learned. It was a lot of new stuff to absorb, so bare with me if this is still far from what you guys intended me to do. BUT, I think this is a major improvement over my old drum patterns...

Its getting better, but the drums are still not great. I think you misunderstood what I meant by variations. I meant variations in patterns. For example, at 1:23, you have this going on:

K = kick, S = snare

1-----2-----3-----4---

K-K-S-K-K-K-S-K

What I'm saying you need are a few slight changes to throw in every now and again, for instance:

1-----2-----3----4---

K-K-S-K---K-S-K

(Damn auto-remove spaces feature made that far too hard to write out)

Even something simple like that. People will be expecting a kick on 3, and when it doesn't come, its more interesting. Try to make up a few different patterns for each section.

Make sure you spend some time listening to remixes, and at the drum parts, and try and recreate some beats that you like. Use your ear and try and get them as similar as possible. Also look up what EQ is, and some basics on how to use it.

Okay, that can be easily arranged, although it'd help if I knew what the full word for EQ is...Equalizer??

BTW, did you hear the drum pattern at 2:00 I think its a lot different than the first parts and its varied all throughout, though I think I may have over done it. And do you really not like the actual change in the drums, not just in their patterns? :(

Does this sound good Fishy/every one else? http://media.putfile.com/Improved-Tyrano-Lair-Remixmethinks-2

Please check out the 2:00-2:30 region, no one commented on it last time, so I'm unsure if its good or not. Thanks.

And there's a few technical words that I don't understand (please excuse my newbiness): EQ, frequency and offbeat.

well if you've taken high school physics you should know what frequency is...frequency in terms of sound is basically what gives a sound its pitch (e.g. high frequency = high pitch, low frequency = low pitch). and all you really need to know about EQ is that it allows you to control individual frequencies in a sound.

Does this sound good Fishy/every one else? http://media.putfile.com/Improved-Ty...emixmethinks-2

Please check out the 2:00-2:30 region, no one commented on it last time, so I'm unsure if its good or not. Thanks.

well first of all i'm not really feelin the pads you've got, they sound pretty cheesy to me

the drums aren't too bad when they come in but the pads have too much release. they should have more clearly defined starts/stops instead of overlapping each other. also the note changes in the pads don't seem to follow the drums at all...coming in on offbeats. i don't think it's a great idea really.

ugh fl keys...one thing you could do to make this sound better is use eq so the piano doesn't sound like it's being played underwater, and also edit the velocities on the chords so they don't sound so noticeably robotic (accenting the chords that are played on the beat is always a good way to go)

i think there's too much starting and stopping in this song. if you're going to have it like that, at least have something to fill in the spaces. doesn't have to be a huge drum fill, just...something.

the section from 2:00 to 2:30 isn't really that good, but that isn't to say it couldn't be...i think if you could make the piano more expressive that would help. also the way you have the snare hitting on all the piano chords is very robotic. that section sounds to me like i could be something really chaotic. you can keep the snare shots but in between make the rhythm more creative using some hi-hat playing sixteenth/triplet rhythms

well if quarter notes are like:

1 - - - 2 - - - 3 - - - 4 - - -

and eight notes are half the value:

1 - + - 2 - + - 3 - + - 4 - + -

then sixteenth notes are half that:

1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a (1 e and a 2 e and a is generally the way of counting sixteenths)

basically, four sixteenth notes make up one quarter note. triplets are basically the same idea, three quarter note triplets make up one quarter note.

really just use a combination of both. a pretty basic technique is using closed hi hat for carrying the rhythm and open hi hat for shots (i.e. on snare hits or bass drum hits)

The problem is, I couldn't do a straight 1/16 or triplets of open and closed hats, because the snares are not actually on a constant pattern, what should I do in this case?

well the snares don't have to be on a constant pattern...just write your hihats to fit the snares and all the spots in between

Ah there we go...I've been on the computer for too long today, brain's going to mush thanks ^^.

http://media.putfile.com/barf-tastic-drums Does this sound kinda off to you, or is it just me? I tried to do as you said :S

Ah there we go...I've been on the computer for too long today, brain's going to mush thanks ^^.

http://media.putfile.com/barf-tastic-drums Does this sound kinda off to you, or is it just me? I tried to do as you said :S

yeah it's not bad. you don't need to ALWAYS use the open hi hat, usually it's just an end-of-the-bar type thing. also it isn't really a good idea to switch snare sounds...maybe layer the two different sounds?

but in the context of the section i was talking about i was thinking of a much less robotic rhythm. 2:00 to 2:30 is pretty dissonant and chaotic like i said before, so the drums should reflect that and be a lot less controlled. organized chaos.

pretty much yeah. in the menu, go to channels, add one, layer (i'm assuming your using fl), then highlight snare 1 and 2 and click Set Children. then copy the main snare pattern onto the layer one and tada you have layered snares.

or you could do it the slightly more complicated way and copy and paste the main snare pattern onto both snares. this way allows for more control of the individual snares but it also means more editing...

I like where your going with this but there are a few mistakes that I noticed

at points it sounds like your bass is lagging to your melody,

like at around 1:30

I don't know if you want that in there or not but

the bass is usually the ground for the rest of the melody, I don't know to me it sounds off

I like where you go just under 2:00 the sound and fx you use are really nice.

hmmm I don't know if I like the ending, I kinda like what you had before you added the drums, but maybe turn down the choir a little bit.

Just some thoughts

Thanks for the helpful critiquing. It's actually not a bass though lol. Guess it's kinda hard to tell, but it's actually a PAD from Toxic III. I was thinking of using an actual bass guitar and doing an actual melody with it.

Oh and is the drum on-tempo all throughout? I'm still new to the getting tempos down pat...

And I never actually asked: but does this remix actually sound like the original to you?