It's so beautiful....

Geoffrey Taucer

http://www.coverpop.com/whitney/

Do you like music?

Do you like art?

Do you like math?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, you absolutely must click that link. If you did not answer yes to any of those questions, you probably lead a sad, empty, miserable life, and you have my pity. But click the link anyway.

Heh, kind of like a whole bunch of orbiting planets.

Awesome find, thanks for linking. I love the sound.

EDIT: Daaaamn, listen to Vars. 14 and 18 with headphones. That's amazing. I'd love to have a high-quality and fullscreen standalone version of this just to have on my computer.

I'm not a math person (or a music person), but I do like how the line of dots becomes a swirl, and then goes through 3, 4 5, and 6 point stars, and back again as they go around.

Geometry... whoa.

When the farthest-out dot has travelled 1/5 the way around, there will be a very clear 5-sided star. When it's gone 1/4 the way around, there will be a four-sided star. When it's gone 1/3 of the circle, there's a 3-sided star. And so on.

I could spend hours delving into the patterns in this thing.

it's mesmerizing... I love when it "ends" and then all of the dots come back in a big "wham!" (minus the george michael, and the other guy... the one who isn't george michael).

mesmerizing...

so mesmerizing that I must quote the prophet, Will Farrell:

"That show was delightful... no, no, it was brilliant... no, no , no... there is not word to describe it's perfection, so I'm forced to make one up. And I'm going to do so right now... scrumtralescent."

yep, I think that that sums it up.

20 was my favourite, bell carol.

A mathematical understanding of music is probably the most powerful tool in creating the most beautiful patterns within it. Autechre and Boards of Canada, and some similar mathematically conscious artists make some amazing stuff just by better understanding how synthesized sounds work.

If there was a course in musical mathematics readily at my disposal I would take it in a heartbeat.

Similarly, one of my previously favoured musical programs, Audiomulch, had this really cool demo file called the Perfect Fifth Drone. I won't pretend to understand how it works, I just know it fucking floored me when I first heard it. Still does every time. It's something ridiculously simple too, like some sine wave tones just phasing around with a perfect fifth interval with a touch of delay.

I saved the file. Check it out.

This sort of stuff creeps me out. It was novel at first, but when you start allowing yourself to completely listen to a piece, you lose yourself to something that you don't quite enjoy, but find irresistable, nonetheless. I suppose you can chalk it up to sheer technical beauty, but with no emotions or thoughts attached to it. I had to snap myself out of what felt like an odd sense of exasperation.