To'al n00b trying to set up DP 5--pweez help.

New_You

So here's my sitch-ee-ay-shin:

I am in the process of setting up Digital Performer 5.12 on my newly-acquired MacBook Pro. It installed smoothly and everything, and I opened up the demo song. I hit play. I heard nothing. Here is where everything spiraled into troubleshooting hell.

I've never set up a DAW before. For years now I've been working on my dad's DAW, but I'm just now setting up my own. So I apologize if some of this sounds mind-bogglingly n00b. Here we go.

In "Audio MIDI Setup," I found two options: IAC Driver and Network (I don't have a MIDI controller to connect just yet). Network didn't exactly seem like what I was looking for, and the IAC Driver icon featured little musical notes, so I selected IAC Driver. Suffice to say that I haven't the slightest idea what this "IAC Driver" is, but selecting it didn't fix the problem anyway. The demo song still refused to make a sound.

The demo song utilizes the virtual instruments included in DP 5. I've never used virtual instruments myself, so I'm completely ignorant as to how they would function (or, in this case, not function) within Digital Performer. Maybe that's the root of my problem. I just really don't know.

Basically, what I can tell is that the MIDI information is indeed being read, but no sound is being generated. I've tried different songs, checked the speakers and volume levels, scoured the DP 5 manual, etc., but I can't figure it out. I know this isn't much info to work with, but can anyone offer some suggestions as to how I can fix this problem? Any help would be much-appreciated.

Here are some specs:

Machine Name: Mac

Machine Model: MacBookPro2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP21.00A5.B01

SMC Version: 1.14f5