Windows refuses to load

I was on my computer the other day, and it started to get really slow. So I decided it was time for a reboot. Only, it didn't start back up. It still won't boot.

I turn on my computer, and the DOS-lookin' screens go through fine, they say there's not a problem. Windows XP (professional) takes about 5 minutes to try to load, and then the screen goes blank. After the blank screen, there's a BSoD that spurts random gibberish (Fatal error at oxc0000000xx or something).

I have another hard drive with XP installed on it, and I'm running my computer off of that.

All the data on the old drive is still accessable, but it can't boot. Also it has just recently started telling me that the drive is BAD and needs replacing on the BIOS screens, but I think it's just a corrupted windows file.

I've tried the checkdisk tool, and it didn't seem to work. Is there any way to isolate or fix the problematic file without losing all my windows settings or formatting the drive? I'd really rather not go there.

You've tried safe mode, right?

Have you tried booting from the XP CD and seeing if it will let you do a repair?

And, just to be thorough, have you virus-scanned the old drive?

Exploring the unpleasant possibility of drive damage . . . is there lots of dust in the room where you keep the computer? Has the computer been bumped around (e.g during transportation)? Is the drive just really old?

Yes, No, and Yes.

Safe mode did the same thing as just regular booting.

I did a virus scan and a spyware scan, both turned out negative.

I haven't been able to locate my XP CD yet, but that's pretty much what I'm relying on. (If I can't find it soon I might have to 'legally acquire' it.)

It's possible the drive may be damaged, but it booted up fine several times with no sign of problems before it just stopped. I can still access all the files and folders fine, I can even run programs off the drive. Well, everything but windows, it seems.

When I shut it down, I don't know what it was doing, but it was REALLY slow, and may have been managing system files. In hindsight, I shouldn'tve shut it off.