Attention All Who Plan on Attending PAX '07!

JackKieser

To those OC fans who will be attending PAX '07:

Technomancer-Press is collaborating with Gabe and Tycho from Penny Arcade to attempt to break a world record for the largest live action RPG in one setting at this year's PAX. Named TerraDrive Live, this incredibly simple game will be open for all PAX attendees to play, as all that's needed to play will be given at the doors!

The catch, though, is that we need YOU to make the game first! Over at www.terradrive.net, you can sign up and edit the wiki that will be used to create the game itself; you don't even need to play at PAX to edit, either. If you wander by and have a good idea for the game, go ahead and edit away, and you might see TerraDrive game items in the future using your idea!

You can also sign up for one of the four color factions in the TerraDrive universe (go Crossbones Exchange!), or if you're planning on attending and want to head up your own, register your own faction and align it with one of the main four. Or, if you see a faction on the Wiki that you like, sign up for it. If you aren't sure if you want to play yet, you can also register for any of the official factions when you get to PAX.

The best part is, this game is totally free play. You can join one of the factions and get in on some turf war action, or simply play as a freelance mercenary and attack anyone you want! Who knows, you could also sell your services to the highest bidder...

So come on over to www.terradrive.net and join in on the fun!

--Jack Kieser, leader of the CBX

now really, if you wanted people from here to be going to the convention, you should be telling them that the OneUps will be performing at PAX.

nice fail at advertising :D

Just so you know, I don't have an official affiliation with the game; I'm just playing. But the concept is really, really cool. Which is why I wanted to spread the word, because people probably don't know much about it.

And yes, the OneUps ARE going to be there, which will be freaking awesome. Making an already good show better... :)

--Jack Kieser

See, the thing is... it's not LARPing.

Like, at all. You can play it that way if you want, but you can also just run around killing people. The game is designed to be whatever you want it to be. If you want to be really in-depth, you can create a character and play as him/her if you want, but in no way is that a requirement for playing.

And, one of the big things about the game is that we are going for breaking the Guinness world record for largest live game in one location, which is really possible considering the projected PAX attendance of like 20k this year. Probably more, but who knows. Since you get the stuff you need to play at the door anyway, a lot of people can play just killing people. If you sign up, though, like register either at the site or at PAX, you get real-time kill tracking and a leaderboard. And you can win stuffs. Which is a bonus.

--Jack Kieser

Yes, that right, not a LARP. MMLARPG /= LARP. Live action only means (in this instance) that you aren't in front of a screen. Doesn't mean that you are in chain mail that you made in your mother's basement.

Two totally different meanings for 'live action', man. Totally different.

--Jack Kieser

Yes, that right, not a LARP. MMLARPG /= LARP. Live action only means (in this instance) that you aren't in front of a screen. Doesn't mean that you are in chain mail that you made in your mother's basement.

Two totally different meanings for 'live action', man. Totally different.

--Jack Kieser

Whatever lets you sleep at night, buddy.

Listen, like I (and the site, if you read further) said, you can play the game however you like. If you just want to run around killing people, you can. Just walk up to someone who is playing, say, "I wanna fight you", and there you go. If you are so concerned about "LARPing", you don't need to risk it by playing more hardcore-style (btw: if you do play a little more in-depth, you will see the 4 factions will probably be engaged in turf wars around the Convention Center, because the kill log stations are going to be surrounded by the different factions).

And, again, like I said, the whole point of this is to try to A) have fun playing a simple game with lots of people and B) to try to break the world record, a noble goal in its own right. If you don't want to play, that's fine. But please don't trash-talk just because. It's all in good fun, after all...

--Jack Kieser

"Hardcore LARPing" lol!1*

Every time you tell us why it's not LARPing, you add more points that we can use to argue that it is. Kill log stations? Turf wars? Factions? Sounds like a LARP to me! :<

*I never use "lol", but this time, it seemed appropriate.

Stop provoking him. He'll go off on another "it's not LARPing it's LARPing" rant.

Live - Yes. You are living.

Action - Yes. You're randomly fighting or fighting for a clan with a purpose in mind.

Role - You are yourself. In a game. As a loner looking for fights or as a clan member.

Play - This is a game. So you play your role in real live action.

Also, if that wasn't clear: LARP

What a fruitful discussion.

Anyway, I was thrilled to hear the OneUps were gonna be playing the event. I'm not gonna be able to make it out but I'd love to hear stories and see footage or pictures.

Sweet gig for Mustin too.

I've never had the pleasure of seeing the OneUps live and I prolly never will..

Anyway, it definitely is good publicity for the band and hopefully a good place to announce Volume 2. =D

Stop provoking him. He'll go off on another "it's not LARPing it's LARPing" rant.

Reminds me of that tv show Comedy Central had with Michael Ian Black, etc. like 2 years ago, called Stella. "FUNK rock, not funk rock" or however the line went. Ah, I loved that show.

Anyway, I think the One-Ups split up then they got back together...there was a thread about a show they did after getting back together again, had to have been in late winter/early spring.

You misconstrue my meaning, gentlemen. I'm not denying that indeed I am alive and that indeed there are people in prescribed roles. I AM, however, saying that this stigma that you are no doubt thinking of (guys with swords in chain mail yelling about spells and dragons) is incorrect; no one HAS to play the game in any set manner.

Yes, some people will want to follow the Wiki to the 'T'. Some people won't. Some people will get to the show and have never heard of the story, and will just want to get into some fun card fights. That's the whole point; play however you define fun.

And, of course, about the kill stations... you play online games with leaderboards, do you not? Yet, I hear nothing about that. The only purpose the kill stations, as far as I know, serve, is to track how many people are officially playing (for the record thing), track how many people are in each faction, and track who is doing well in their battles.

I honestly see no reason for you guys to badmouth so much... it's a game. You don't want to play, then don't. For those involved with the story and implementing the game itself, we have explicit instructions not to involve people who aren't playing. So, if you go and don't play, you probably won't even notice us.

Lighten up. Or at least keep the thread open for people who DO want to discuss the game, intead of filling it with off-topic banter.

--Jack Kieser