Help I got rejected:(

oo smrpg yay

hmm unless you are steve reich you should not have such heavy repetition.

i'm gonna go by section here. from 0:00 to 0:32 you basically have a piano repeating a very small bit of the source with strings repeating the same two chords over and over. one thing this mix has going for it is the polyphony; i would suggest writing a more creative string part to emphasize that, as well as using more than the same 1 bar of the source over constantly.

0:33 to 1:01 has most of the same problems, only now you have introduced rock drums into an orchestral arrangement...doesn't work here at all. also, the part writing for the instruments is very noticeably amateurish. same problem with you going back and forth between two chords and maybe 10 notes of melody.

drum "solo" 1:02 to 1:11 is ridiculously out of place, not to mention if you're going to include a drum solo then at least throw in some fills (it really should be one big fill anyways) instead of looping the same 1 bar pattern.

1:12 to 1:40 is just a repeat of the previous section, no new ideas introduced. that is not necessarily wrong, but in the case of this song it is.

key change at 1:41 to 2:08 is long overdue...unfortunately no new ideas introduced here either, and really a key change is the best place to do that

finally at 2:10 something new, but you quickly return to the old loop. and then it goes to the outro.

the short version of all that is you are not using enough of the source, and the little bit that you do use is used far too often. what i'd recommend is that you work on creating a more engaging and dynamic piece with more polyphony and melodic variation (if you plan on doing this sort of minimalist-orchestral style). i'd recommend looking at some of the wingless' remixes like aphrodite oceanus or pearlsong for ideas on how to take a relatively short musical idea and expand it into a full song.

Perfection? Really now...

While nothing comes off as insanely wrong (aside from minor clipping here and there), there's absolutely nothing outstanding, nothing impressive, nothing worth noting, nothing that stands out in this mix. You have what sound like MIDI instruments with no TLC on anything, you have the same basic melody playing for pretty much the 3 minutes, and the mastering could have been better.

This is basically a 'listen to it once, then forget about it' mix. There's nothing in it that would really want someone to listen to it again. There's nothing in it that says 'This is a LagunaCloud remix'. This is like plan old white rice that went bad.

Sorry to sound harsh, but on a big ol painting campus, this is but a small black spot sitting in the corner. You have to do more, be more creative, experiment, etc.

hmm well the trumpet sound you're using is not a very good sample, so i'd work on masking that with some reverb and maybe some eq to give it more treble. also it's way too loud. try using some panning on it.

the string part is much better and i noticed a couple little changes to the piano but it is still too repetitive. the best way to fix that would be to make the strings go to different chords other than the I and V chords. try adding the VI and IV chords (a minor and F major in this case). it's a really cliche progression but it's less so than going back and forth between C and G. this way you can keep your repeating piano (though i wouldn't) but keep the song interesting.

Oo, oo OR you could use the "chop" feature (if you use FL) and put the piano notes in appregios (or however you spell that word) or a like he said, add in a minor chord to mix things up. I find it easier that way, btw what piano sample do you use? FL keys suck :(

BTW these are just ideas you probably shouldn't do everything that I say :P, cuz I'm a newb at this stuff so yeah.

hmm well the trumpet sound you're using is not a very good sample, so i'd work on masking that with some reverb and maybe some eq to give it more treble. also it's way too loud. try using some panning on it.

the string part is much better and i noticed a couple little changes to the piano but it is still too repetitive. the best way to fix that would be to make the strings go to different chords other than the I and V chords. try adding the VI and IV chords (a minor and F major in this case). it's a really cliche progression but it's less so than going back and forth between C and G. this way you can keep your repeating piano (though i wouldn't) but keep the song interesting.

I see what you're saying but it's still too repetitive and unintersting I think I need to either come up with a good piano bass or remove it altogether and let the strings be the bass

Oo, oo OR you could use the "chop" feature (if you use FL) and put the piano notes in appregios (or however you spell that word) or a like he said, add in a minor chord to mix things up. I find it easier that way, btw what piano sample do you use? FL keys suck :(

BTW these are just ideas you probably shouldn't do everything that I say :P, cuz I'm a newb at this stuff so yeah.

yeah, um I either sample them myself, or use my Edirol whatever ends with the better sound

Whoa! How the hell did this get rejected, it's perfection!

All you did was slow the song down and play it with really shitty GM instruments. Not bashing GM though, you can make a great song using GM sounds if you know how to use MIDI properly and can mix the tracks well afterwards.

Anyway, your song has no structure, it's a repetitive loop that just adds something "new" the next time it comes around. Once again there's the problem of not knowing what makes the original song good. It's supposed to be an up-tempo, energetic song. You slowing it down SOUNDS like a slowed down version of the song, to reduce the tempo properly, unlike what you did, you're supposed to add more to the song to make use of the extra time.

If you want to keep it at this speed, then you have to consider adding to the arrangement. The easiest way to start is by adding more rhythm to the song, the drum track is too boring, spice it up.

Whoa! How the hell did this get rejected, it's perfection!

All you did was slow the song down and play it with really shitty GM instruments. Not bashing GM though, you can make a great song using GM sounds if you know how to use MIDI properly and can mix the tracks well afterwards.

Anyway, your song has no structure, it's a repetitive loop that just adds something "new" the next time it comes around. Once again there's the problem of not knowing what makes the original song good. It's supposed to be an up-tempo, energetic song. You slowing it down SOUNDS like a slowed down version of the song, to reduce the tempo properly, unlike what you did, you're supposed to add more to the song to make use of the extra time.

If you want to keep it at this speed, then you have to consider adding to the arrangement. The easiest way to start is by adding more rhythm to the song, the drum track is too boring, spice it up.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm working on improving it alot.

Edirol is a built in synthesizer to my music mixing program

Edirol is a brand name. They're a child company of Roland and make things like audio interfaces (I've got one of theirs) and low-quality monitors. LagunaCloud is probably talking about a particular synthesizer, perhaps this one.

Make a point with your music

Why don't you try to describe what you're trying to express with this remix? What does the original theme mean to you? What's cool about it, what isn't? Let us see the original theme through YOUR eyes (or ears).

Some ideas?

The theme is inanely repetative, try spicing it up with some more variation, harmonic and otherwise. Melodic variation. Play with it, etc.

Seriously, my questions aren't rhetorical.

Don't ever lose sight of musicality when you're remixing. It doesn't matter if you've got amazing technical skills as a producer and you do the best job possible mastering. If your music doesn't go anywhere, if it doesn't show off your musicality, it won't likely be accepted.

I suggest thinking like you're in a studio. Pay some attention to effects, eq, and so on early on (particularly with balancing the various instruments in your piece); the kind of stuff you'll likely do naturally. But don't worry as much about getting an instrument to sound "just right" from a production perspective; get the right notes down, played with the right phrasings and articulations. Then do the production work.

Make a point with your music

Why don't you try to describe what you're trying to express with this remix? What does the original theme mean to you? What's cool about it, what isn't? Let us see the original theme through YOUR eyes (or ears).

Some ideas?

The theme is inanely repetative, try spicing it up with some more variation, harmonic and otherwise. Melodic variation. Play with it, etc.

Seriously, my questions aren't rhetorical.

Wow you're idea has seriously helped me, it has been a very long time since I actually heard the original.

Going back and listening to it has given me some inspiration on what to do next thank you!

Regardless of arrangement, this doesn't sound any better than a midi file would. The WIP is too short, and doesn't go anywhere arrangement-wise.

If you are making a midi file first, before you drop it in some program and use good samples, its fine. But then, I think, we need to hear something more substantial in the arrangement department before anyone here can really give you constructive advice.

On the other hand, if these are the best quality instruments you can get, I would start looking for something better right now. Like I said before, this sounds just like a midi file would, not any better.