Someone sniped my domain. What do I do?

zircon

Actually, you can copyright something right now, and if you got it through fast enough, you can have a legal right to the name and the domain thereof.

Copyright laws are kind of screwy that way. I'd ask a lawyer or grab a copyright book first, and make sure. If it's as I remember it, you can fight for it to be returned to you.

www.soundtempest.net - which I've had for a good 3-4 years now - expired yesterday. I forgot to change my renewal preferences back to "auto", and apparently someone has registered it, even using my name (but putting some crappy ad spam type page there instead).

I want my domain back. What can I do?

replacing a page with a crappy spam page is common practice when a domain expires. you sure someone else registered it?

There is almost always a 3-6 month holding period on the part of the registrar where the domain is not back in public. Usually, when one expires, your registrar has a process of still allowing you to renew it during that itme period, but typically it costs more and requires some additional paperwork on your part.

Like some others have pointed out, the "spam" page is probably just their placeholder for your domain while it is in limbo. After whatever holding period they have, then it will go back out to the public where anyone can have it.

You should still be able to get it back. I let one of my domains expire with Network Solutions, and even after the fact they still held onto it and kept emailing me giving me chances to renew it. Email the support people with your registrar and I'm sure they'll help you out and let you know that you can still renew it.