OCR00779 - Hang-On "Journey to the Finish"

orkybash

Hmm. for what its worth, it does belong on OCR. But I just didnt like it too much. I guess what makes me upset with this remix is the synths and loopness.

The leads just seem too dry. I thought the drum samples were a bit dry too. Its arranged well for a techno remix, however I feel its not produced well enough. This is why I stay away from doing techno, its not as easy as it may sound to produce.

What could have made this remix better would be re-engineering all the synths, make the fat, make the percussions wet, etc. Its still an 'ok' arrangement nonetheless, but 6min is too long with constant melody loopage.

• 3 months later...

Excellent! The original piece was one of my favorite video game songs of all time, but was in dire need of a remix. Ryu7x answered my call with a wonderful techno mix. I especially love the part around 1:20, when the motorcycle engines start to rev in teh background, Very cool, indeed. Vocal samples are also used well, but are really audible without headphones. I shoudl also make note of this songs length. 6 minutes, give or take 5 seconds. Quite the opus, if you ask me. My only grudge is the remix is a little repetitive, and is pretty boring by 6 minutes. I advise you to get this well done remix, now!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The chiptune beginning earns this one a place in my heart...

The blipping that seems out of time with the chiptune-ness, however...kinda irks me...I do *not* like that.

I think the way the square wave plays the whole of the melody is a little unimaginative...I would have preferred a trancy lead to come in and take over...slowly fading in and eventually taking it over, y'know?

The part where chords play...Im not too keen on them, they seem a little off key for the tune...too much so for dissonance, in my opinion.

Repetition is this remixes demon...there's just too much of it...

If the track were shorter it would have been far better in my opinion...but the lack of extreme variation throughout the piece makes it worse, I think...

And the ending is a little off, too...I would have preferred the background synths fade out and the last note on the square wave to 'stutter' as it were

But its still good though...of course its good, I recommend it to anyone looking for a kinda ambient trancey track.

• 8 months later...

Woah! This is the best "Mini-Mix" of any of the mini-mix songs, in order now are, "Bubble Bobble: Speed Garage" (3rd), "Excitebike: TitleTechnoPhatulence" (something like that and 2nd), finally "Hang On: Journey to the Finish" (obviously 1st)! I really liked the BGM from this game and it serves to be a catchy part of the tune!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This ReMix is very long, so one may be led to think that it's boring or repetitive. I don't think so. Ryu7x is a skilled ReMiXeR and he managed to keep the song interesting for almost 6 minutes. If nothing, this is good background music, in fact, I have this MP3 on the CD I use in my car when I drive. And when this song starts, I always start to drive a bit faster.

Nice arrangements here, especially given that the original wasn't very long.

A good piece by Ryu7x.

• 1 year later...

Beat-wise this is super repetitive and boring,but there is some nice melodic work going on, and the texture shifts keep it from getting too monotonous, though by the end it is definitely running on fumes idea-wise(get it? motorcycle reference :P ). I recognize a bunch of vocal samples from back in the ol' dance party days, and I guess it gives the track some "authenticity", but the fact that they are used exactly the same way as several other tracks i've heard just seems to me like cut and pasting.

Production is unremarkable but serviceable.

Overall decent but too long for the material there.

• 7 months later...

It's just long overall. A little too much repetition, though it fits the style. I like the squiggly line that you hear near the beginning, both in and out of time. Adds a nice touch.

Would have liked more variation on the theme, even if it was a few change-ups here and there. Just something to make it stand out a bit more. Vocal samples don't bother me, but I'm not crazy about them either.

A decent piece overall.

• 5 years later...

It's dated, especially due to the thin claps. I wish the textures were denser; even for its day, there should have been at least a bit more density to this.

That said, it had a good groove. The bike rev SFX at 1:19 was actually pretty baller, and the source tune itself is fun. Michael pulled off an effective gradual build, finally getting to the meat of the source at 2:38. Smart stuff for one of the longest mixes out there in OCR's old days.

• 7 months later...

As a person whose brain feeds on repetition I found this mix actually quite pleasant to listen to. The intro instantly transported me back to the amazing old days where this was the best sound you were gonna get from your games, and we loved it.

Added bonus for making me feel all nostalgic about the old school days of OCR as well. Really took me back to the early 2000's and listening to OCR to survive my job/boss.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00779 - Hang-On "Journey to the Finish"