Is there a way to get Win95 now a days?

L.T.W.

Win95 hasn't been good for anything since 1998. Have we gone back in time?
Protip: Compatibilty mode for windows.

Maybe he wants his solitare fix on PSP?

Not every older Windows game runs well in compatibility mode, and some of the user-made patches, hacks and fixes you have to try and apply/get working don't always work well either. Plus, with a real DOS environment, it can run a lot of older games without the need of tinkering with DOSBox (a program I'm throughly thankful for).

Not everyone is only interested in the current game crop. Some of us like playing the older games too... especially those that aren't made for DOS, but XP hates with a passion. And really, MechWarrior 2: Titanium Edition is worth having Windows 95 for by itself ;)

Not every older Windows game runs well in compatibility mode, and some of the user-made patches, hacks and fixes you have to try and apply/get working don't always work well either. Plus, with a real DOS environment, it can run a lot of older games without the need of tinkering with DOSBox (a program I'm throughly thankful for).

Not everyone is only interested in the current game crop. Some of us like playing the older games too... especially those that aren't made for DOS, but XP hates with a passion. And really, MechWarrior 2: Titanium Edition is worth having Windows 95 for by itself ;)

Thats basically why I want it, I want to play the greatest adventure game ever (imho)

Maniac Mansion: The Day of the Tentacle

I find its an incredible game, but XP fails terribly to emulate DOS, which I find very stupid.

I also have many other games that run on DOS and they are incredible.

Thats basically why I want it, I want to play the greatest adventure game ever (imho)

I find its an incredible game, but XP fails terribly to emulate DOS, which I find very stupid.

First off, why is this stupid, why should a 32-bit OS support 16-bit or earlier emulation when production and maintenance of that software has all but stopped. The small amount of software that the corporate world screamed about losing actually works just fine under emulation so it makes perfect sense for poor dos emulation for games.

Second, the fun thing about a lot of dos games is there cycle based. A lot of time based things (count downs, graphic refresh rates, etc) were based on CPU cycles and because of that, running games in a pure dos OS may cause your game to jump into hyper-speed.

Third, give dos-box a try first, less crap involved getting that to work then getting win95 working on any hardware.

***shouldn't walk away when posting....I missed they last two comments....

Have you tried running it in DOSBox? According to their website, the game is fully supported. Grab the latest version from that website, and then go here for a tutorial on how to set up DOSBox.

Also, should that not work, look into this SCUMM emulator, since that's what the game was programmed to run under. It's supposed to be 95% complete under that emulator.

Edit: Or, just point and laugh at me for taking too long to type this up and get the links.

I think the reason why he said "since 1998" was because he was suggesting Win 98 is better than Win 95. I can't think of a single program or game that supports Win 95 but not Win 98. Win 98 is also much less likely to crash for no apparent reason.

But yeah, it's kinda odd that XP doesn't have decent built-in DOS emulation.

I have one word for you:

Virtualization.

Here's why. If you're going to be running an OS from 1998 or 1995 on hardware made after 2002 or so, it's just not going to work. Instead, you can run the second operating system inside a window, and do everything you need to from there.

The only games that would really give you problems would be those that require 3D acceleration. Not many programs provide it for their VMs, and those that do consider it very beta (read; half-assed).

As for acquiring the OS, you could probably find it around the internet somewhere and legally too, on someplace like eBay.

why do you want a 95? i have a 98 and it's a piece of crap. why should 95 be any different?

Please read the thread before you post something like that. That has been addressed and his issue has already been solved. Not to mention, he does explain why he wants this done. It's actually a riveting story about action, drama, and love. I recommend giving it a read because you're only on the second page. It's not that hard.

Heck yeah. Just played through MW2 DOS version via DOSBox - great game. Though I don't have Titanium edition :/.

Mechwarrior 2 and Interstate 76 are the only reasons to have win95/98 anymore. Neither work with 2k or later. It has to do with Microsoft's complete lack of backwards compatability for games based on older DirectX versions (MW2 and I76 were DirectX 3 iirc).

Unless there's a "WindowsBox" or something out there that emulates old DirectX.