OC ReMix @ Otakon: Site Staff Presents Panel on Video Game Music ReMixing

djpretzel

God damn I wish I could have come.

Who made the OCR-tan guitar, and how did they make it?

EDIT: also, Jill as OCR-tan = teh hawt

Yeah, here's a detailed account:

Andy and I found the already silver-bodied guitar for $30 on ebay... Plus another $30 for shipping. I ordered silver spray paint from an art store and he and Bahamut helped me paint the neck, headphones, boots, etc during the Philly meetup last month. I knew about BGC's wife's expertise in polymer clay design, so I placed an order for all the custom SNES buttons with her. Once they arrived, Andy and I spray painted a manilla folder, and I used various glasses to trace the different circle sizes for the back of the D and button pads. A little adhesive, and we were good to go. Very pleased with the results, and huge kudos to Amanda for her precision! :D

Does it need to be said how exhausted I am? :sleepdepriv:

Great hanging out again, folks. I didn't catch many events, because I'm as far behind on anime as I am on videogames, but that last show we caught... some of you will wish you managed to see Eminence. AWE. SOME. In a dark concert hall, where no flash photography was allowed, my camera really stunk with the video, so after Kroze's camera battery conked, I only managed audio of the encores, to come later.

Here's the ice cream truck.

Plenty of photos at my end, but not many meetup pics, because I'm a fiend for cosplay snapshots, and that's what I've been up to the whole time. That's also to come later.

Can't wait to see photos of the panel! The video itself may take about a week because we weren't able to get the footage from Jiggles' camera directly. Also, really bummed we couldn't make it to the Eminence concert. That would have been a great way to end the whole shebang, I'm sure. Next year we'll probably splurge and try to stay somewhere closer by. Poor Dave had to drive over 2 hours every day just to get everyone there and back.

For those who wanted to know, the stuff Eminence played came from the following sources: Laputa: Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Romeo x Juliet, Neon Genesis Evangelion, .hack//Liminality, Gundam Seed, Noir, Lia - Colors of Life, Odin Sphere, Xenosaga I and II, Chrono Cross, and Super Mario World.

I forget most of the individual track names, but for the Xenosagas they played Pain and Sakura, Odin Sphere had the main theme done, Chrono Cross got Time's Scar and Radical Dreamers, and SMW was a large medley (started with SMB1's Overworld, then all SMW tracks: Overworld, Sub Castle, Athletic, Time Up Warning, double speed Athletic, and finished with Course Clear).

One of the best parts, however, was when Hiroaki Yura explained how Yasunori Mitsuda got his job at Squaresoft. Apparently Mitsuda walked into the building, while Uematsu was sitting at a desk doing interviews with a secretary nearby. Uematsu first asked Mitsuda his background and all that, and then inquired as to if he'd ever heard of Final Fantasy. Mitsuda said that he actually preferred Dragon Quest.

After taking a few seconds to get over the inherent WTF-ness, Uematsu also asked him how he considered a potential job at Squaresoft. Mitsuda said that he just considered it a stepping stone.

So apparently if you want a job in the video game music industry, you just need to be a schmuck, and you'll get hired. :)

Also! Hitoshi Sakimoto likes yaoi.

The video itself may take about a week because we weren't able to get the footage from Jiggles' camera directly.

Its most likely gonna take a bit longer then a week...

Also the sound is gonna be crap because we thought you were recording the sound so we were talking and crap.

x.x

I was in the front row and have a handful of photos, though they're not of very good quality (on several of them, I didn't use the flash while y'all were performing). I could upload and link to a few of them if folks want? It might be better just to wait a week for the video and all. KF

Its most likely gonna take a bit longer then a week...

Also the sound is gonna be crap because we thought you were recording the sound so we were talking and crap.

x.x

Jiggles recorded the sound with his camera, so I don't think it'll be an issue. Still waiting on the footage from him, but it could be cool to use some shots from your angle as well. How should we transfer? ^-^

Jiggles recorded the sound with his camera, so I don't think it'll be an issue. Still waiting on the footage from him, but it could be cool to use some shots from your angle as well. How should we transfer? ^-^

Jiggles is sending me the video in the mail...

This way I am working with uncompressed.

And yes, he did record the sound with his camera, but we were thinking you were also recording the sound so there was talking from us on it...

All - I had an awesome time hanging out! It was great to finally meet everyone. It was a bit rough jogging between essentially three different groups of people for the con this year and then missing Sunday entirely (ACK - including the concert!), but I definitely played my part in the advertising, passed out tons of flyers in the gaming hall, and was glad to help out. Definitely felt like one of the gang.

Sorry to hear about the long drive! If I heard earlier, I would've offered up my place since I'm only about 45 minutes or so away. I even hosted a bunch of people (i.e. too much drinking) both Friday and Saturday night. IMHO - getting a hotel no matter how cheap is the best way to go, even if its a bit far away. LIghtrail is awesome.

Anyway - check out new remixes <soon>. Gotta get this new job in place first.

Okay, I'm home.

Ready for the media?

I've got a freakin' ton, so I'm splitting the highlights into categories.

If it's alright with whoever merges these, keep each category in a seperate post to make it less of a headache.

Here we go...

The OCR Panel

I did what I could with a point-and-shoot camera and extremely poor lighting.

2007-7-20otakon029.jpg

pixie's now-famous OCR-Tan cosplay and guitar.

2007-7-20otakon047.jpg

Strong turnout for the panel. We preach mostly to the converted.

2007-7-20otakon050.jpg

Our panelists and their wares.

2007-7-20otakon079.jpg

Our contestant picked to decipher the panel's secret message, coded in the videogame characters used on each page of the PowerPoint.

2007-7-20otakon086.jpg

Live performance! pixie singing, zircon accompanying.

2007-7-20otakon092.jpg

"Name-that-tune" trivia comp! Paul-io and Sean-ic (we are not cringe-worthy...) battle with their knowledge of game music.

2007-7-20otakon099.jpg

Sean notches the comeback win by correctly identifying the high-scoring final tune selection. The word "fix" was probably muttered somewhere.

2007-7-20otakon100.jpg

All our contestants score free swag, nonetheless. That's why OCR's the greatest!