trying to find commercial music that matches tastes I've developed here

OverClocked ReMix has drawn me out in many different musical directions that I would have probably never otherwise found. Before I discovered the site from the EGM article in 02, my musical taste was constricted to blink-182, the offspring, and video game midis. At first I did what pretty much everyone does, that being download everything from every game they would recognize. I then followed a pretty standard path of realizing how awesome mcvaffe is and grabbing everything by him. Then at one point I said the hell with it and downloaded everything to listen to it at a point later in time. Then something funny happened. A read the writeupto this, realized I really liked the concept of that genre of music in general, and bought myself a copy of dummy by Portishead. I hadn't bought a "real" music CD in several years before that. And while I hardly consider myself an expert in musical taste (or even an intermediate, for that matter), I now have the pleasure of owning Blue Lines by Massive Attack, Endtroducing by DJ Shadow, Kid A by Radiohead, and Maxinquaye by Tricky. I would have never touched any of this without reading that writeup, probably.

So I'm looking to match another group of remixes I greatly enjoy with music found outside this community.

The following songs are emblematic of what I'm looking for.

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01365/

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01529/

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01477/

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01178/

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00581/

so jazz/hip hop/early 90s dance?

free (legal) music suggestions are especially appreciated, but I'll make a note of checking out anything suggested.

thanks.

90s dance? Madonna's got some good songs for that.

The Chemical Brothers...

After that I'm not sure to recommend...it's love/hate with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Panic @ The Disco, Wheezer for most. I'm not exactly the best to ask for tastes or definitions of genres to bands, but I do now what I like and this may help you out.

This thread interests me. Especially as I'm a college student so I can get free music through Ruckus (then strip off the DRM bwahahaha).

One thing I will say though is don't limit yourself to American music. Some of the best stuff I've heard was made by international groups. In many cases the lyrics weren't in English, but if you're a VG music fan, that probably isn't a concern.

^Judging from the Massive Attack, Radiohead and Tricky albums he's bought I don't think we have to worry about him restricting himself to music that's only American.

PP, I'm only familiar with a few of the mixes you linked to (and too lazy at the moment to listen to the others), but based on your like of Massive Attack (and trip-hop in general, I'm assuming), I strongly recommend checking out Royksopp, a Norwegian-based electronic duo. Their music covers a wide range from upbeat electronic to very mellow chill and jazz.

I also suggest the artist Nujabes for your hip-hop, jazz, and chill needs. His albums Metaphorical Music and Modal Soul are particularly highly recommended, as are his musical contributions to the anime Samurai Champloo.

^Judging from the Massive Attack, Radiohead and Tricky albums he's bought I don't think we have to worry about him restricting himself to music that's only American.

PP, I'm only familiar with a few of the mixes you linked to (and too lazy at the moment to listen to the others), but based on your like of Massive Attack (and trip-hop in general, I'm assuming), I strongly recommend checking out Royksopp, a Norwegian-based electronic duo. Their music covers a wide range from upbeat electronic to very mellow chill and jazz.

I also suggest the artist Nujabes for your hip-hop, jazz, and chill needs. His albums Metaphorical Music and Modal Soul are particularly highly recommended, as are his musical contributions to the anime Samurai Champloo.

I'll look into them.

early 90s dance?

That's easy. Search for Ben Liebrand GRANDMIX 1990 to start with, and you'll get to hear most songs with a beat, in a kickass mix. (Apparently Liebrand didn't do all mixes entitled GRANDMIX. Details on his website etc. These are bootlegs. Aired on radio twice. Impossible to license for a proper release.)

"Trip-hop":

Anja Garbarek - "Big Mouth"

Album: Smiling & Waving (2001)

"Eletro-dance-pop-whatever":

Bel Canto - "Birds of Passage"

Album: Birds of Passage (1990)