SPOILERS: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Zombie

It is weird knowing that the series has finally come to an end, though.

I don't know about that. The worrying part of the epilogue is that it seems so much like fanservice to avoid people whining about the story having no proper "happy ending," I'm not sure she's got the force of will to follow through on her past convictions and be done with Harry Potter for good. Even if his story is over, I have this lingering doubt that she'll be able to stay away from his world and the money its loyal fanbase provides when appealed to.

Then again, her fame as "the author of Harry Potter" will probably give her a sort of Midas' touch for quite a few years to come; anything she produces in the near future is likely to turn into gold, at least financially, so she may never feel the need to return to good ol' Harry.

Finished it. Several twists I had guessed from the start, and as a whole I'd have to say the book was predictable, but in the best way possible.

The highlight of the book was probably the Snape-reminiscence chapter. It carried a certain degree of finality, and illustrated Snape in an altogether believable light.

To be honest, I hate epilogue's like the one in this book. I suppose Rowling did it to dispel any public expectations of sequels, but I felt the conclusion was fluff, plain and simple.

Now I guess I'll go back to the Dark Tower series... Wolves of the Calla ftw.

Now I guess I'll go back to the Dark Tower series... Wolves of the Calla ftw.

Now that's another series that ends distastefully :sad: . Series with good endings are always in such short supply...

But yeah, I finished the 7th book, and as has been said, it is predictable. I wonder how long Rowling has had the complete story planned, as this is the 7th book and she reveals in it that there are 7 horcruxes.

I don't know about that. The worrying part of the epilogue is that it seems so much like fanservice to avoid people whining about the story having no proper "happy ending," I'm not sure she's got the force of will to follow through on her past convictions and be done with Harry Potter for good. Even if his story is over, I have this lingering doubt that she'll be able to stay away from his world and the money its loyal fanbase provides when appealed to.

Then again, her fame as "the author of Harry Potter" will probably give her a sort of Midas' touch for quite a few years to come; anything she produces in the near future is likely to turn into gold, at least financially, so she may never feel the need to return to good ol' Harry.

The story of Harry Potter, however, is done. It was a carefully constructed seven-part epic. Anything she writes now in the universe will have to all be planned out again before even penning another "first" book. Frankly I think that after writing Harry Potter for a decade, she'd want to move on to other works.

However, she already expressed interest years ago in publishing some kind of encyclopedia or sourcebook for the series. She's got a ton of notes of background information that never made its way into any of the books. If they're anything like "Quidditch Through the Ages" and "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," I'm not complaining; those two were awesome reads.

The more time I've had to sit here and think about it, the more the ending of the book is frustrating me. I want to know what happens to all the other main characters! Rowling has said if she made another book it would be a sort of encyclopedia. I really hope she does that, as it would be a good opportunity to explain the future lives of all the characters.

EDIT: Darksword, you beat me to the punch on the encyclopedia thing.

Not enough complexity for my taste, but still enjoyable. Needed more Snape. Also, I'm beginning to understand why Hermione seemed such a genius to Harry--Harry doesn't seem to have read any of his textbooks.

Also, I liked the touch of the house-elves at the end. Little foot-tall demons carrying cleavers and screaming high-pitched war-cries as they attack the ankles of the embattled death-eaters.

Also, I'm beginning to understand why Hermione seemed such a genius to Harry--Harry doesn't seem to have read any of his textbooks.

Did you miss out on the dozens of references throughout each book to Hermione pretty much doing all of Harry's and Ron's homework assignments for them? I don't think he's ever needed to.

Having finished the book, I must say I am supremely satisfied with the way it turned out, and I think I have just read one of the greatest works of fiction in modern history. I think in time (if it hasn't already) that Harry Potter will take its place alongside the likes of Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia in the list of modern greats. It's astounding, really, but for the first time in history a work of fiction has defined an entire generation. (Unless you choose to include the Bible as a work of fiction, which I do not, and that's a topic for PPR at any rate.) Harry Potter is to this generation what Star Wars was to the last... it defines the culture in a sense. It's been an astounding ten year journey, and while I'm sad to see it draw to a close, I could not be happier with where the journey took me. Congratulations to J.K. Rowling for her extraordinary story.

I was told such by my roommate, so it might be a rumor. *nods* But it's what I heard, and he's not a liar in any sense to my knowledge, so it might be worth looking into.

Harry Potter fans can be as obsessive as Star Wars/Trek fans. If this was at all legitimate, then a ton of people would have heard of it. Sorry, but I think your roommate has bad info.

well, thats how the world should be right. Have the women do the boring work.

And get all the jobs, and make all the money, and bring home the bread, all while pushing children out from between their legs... yeah, that's real consistent with Western civilization as we know it. Totally going to happen.

Retards are funny? And thats comedic gold to you?

Do you laugh at people who cry when they lose a loved one? Step down to something smalled... how about a pet? Now step down to my point: Is it really all that surprising that someone who has been following the series for a decade would get seriously upset if some assclown spoiled the ending for them?

Seriously, if you think thats funny, why not go kick a dog. Obviously picking on people weaker than you is how you get your jollies. LOL RETARDZ.

The story of Harry Potter, however, is done. It was a carefully constructed seven-part epic. Anything she writes now in the universe will have to all be planned out again before even penning another "first" book. Frankly I think that after writing Harry Potter for a decade, she'd want to move on to other works.

However, she already expressed interest years ago in publishing some kind of encyclopedia or sourcebook for the series. She's got a ton of notes of background information that never made its way into any of the books. If they're anything like "Quidditch Through the Ages" and "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," I'm not complaining; those two were awesome reads.

I agree...I have both of them.

Joining in a little late, since I only just now had time to finish the book . . .

What was the point of killing Fred, Lupin, and Tonks, though? Like Mad-Eye's death, those three did not seem to die for any purpose other than a failed attempt to shock the reader.

But otherwse it would have felt like, "We just had a big ol' battle with the most dangerous mob of cutthroats in wizarding history! And no one I knew even died!"

You're right, though. Rowling does seem to have pulled her punches regarding character deaths in previous books (e.g. all the people who indirectly saw the basilisk in book 2, Katie Bell and the cursed necklace in book 6, lots of people in addition to Sirius who could have died in the finale of book 5 . . . ) Up until this point, it was restricted to deaths which directly advanced the plot.

I don't like the epilogue.

The last chapter, which I gather means the epilogue, was finished early on in the series (source), so it certainly wasn't included on a whim. I think it's less of a fan service than it is Rowling's way of simply bringing the story to its complete and natural conclusion. I personally could have done without it, but it doesn't do any more than state what I would have expected to happen. (Of course, I guess that's as much an argument against it as it is an argument for it.)

Nineteen years later would be 2017-ish, I think, for whatever that's worth.