SPOILERS: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Zombie

I finished the book a couple of days ago and I'll have to agree with some of you here, that epilogue/final chapter thing was lame. After creating 7 good books you would think she could come up with something better to end it all (Albus Severus Potter? WTF?) But it was a good book nonetheless.

I for one liked the last chapter. I was worried that we would never get a chance to see Harry respecting Severus for everything he did for him, and as Severus is my favorite character in the series, I was glad to see that the final chapter was really, in its own way, about letting us know that Harry truly understood him in the end.

Now that's another series that ends distastefully :sad: . Series with good endings are always in such short supply...

Really, series with endings at all are in short supply these days... So many that keep growing, so many others that are just not done yet.

So many that keep growing, so many others that are just not done yet.

I'm sorry, but aren't those two the same thing?

But this is very true regardless. You don't find many complete series in my opinion because it doesn't make the most profit. If you can keep producing and have a captive audience, then you'll definitely get good cash flow. On the flipside, it also makes it more daunting to get into a series where you have to decide to start from the beginning and massively catch up while knowing that the list will expand while you read, or just take your losses and start from something somewhat recent.

On topic, I did enjoy the book. The epilogue didn't bother me, but knowing that it was all planned out made me feel better about it, because I didn't necessarily agree with the pairings and especially not the naming of the kids, but whatever. S'all good.

Just thought of something. Wouldn't it have been hilarious if instead of focusing on Harry and co., the epilogue had revealed what exactly happened to the Dursleys?

Maybe we'll get that info if Rowling decides to write that encylopedia.

"They finally got their peaceful life as they lost their ties to the wizarding world. Dudley still lives with his parents and is a basement geek. Though, Harry likes to send them the occasional howler just to show his love."

I have to be honest, I've always tried to stay away from fan-sensitive things and things that are already massively popular.

Part jealousy, part prejudice, part utter annoyance over the feeble minds of the general public and the way they are played by the "big minds".

I don't even care for the whole wizard theme but for some reason I feel like I'm missing out on something here.

Still, I doubt I will ever indulge myself in the world of whats-her-face famous writer, for reasons above and others unmentioned, but I do miss the feeling of growing up with something great.

I can't even believe that this Harry Potter thing has been going on for so long. Partialy due to my life changing so rapidly that the past years have been a blur. I do remember vividly how we used to play Pokemon cards here and then suddenly they had the HP card game, which wasn't nearly as popular.

That must be at least 6 years ago now 0_0; damn I want my life back.

Anyway, I know the fans must be kind of dissapointed that it is over now, but I felt like that with Lotr and Starwars as well. Though I was never a "true fan" of either, since fans bug the hell out of me.

It's just great to be part of something. Something for your generation alone...like Nintendo was in the past haha:)

Okay now I'm just rambling...I can only hope my own novel will be succesful as well, if I ever do get to finishing it.

;_;

Warning: spoilers (given the thread title it shouldn't matter anyway)

I finished reading it two days ago. I thought some of the storyline to be rather clever, but I thought the ending was rather anti-climactic. Walking around in a circle for 5 minutes with only 5 seconds worth of actually battling with the greatest dark wizard was pathetically disappointing. I expected so much more (although the part with Harry unvolutarily faking his death was rather interesting).

I was a bit surprised (although not completely) that Snape wasn't really so evil. I still thought he was a complete jackass even though he was on the side of the good guys afterall.

The actual romance between Ron and Hermione was so brief was so short I'm not completely sure it was necessary. The exact same amount of romance took place between Harry and Ginny (if you can call sloppy French kisses at random "romantic"). I thought it pretty stupid that they go from a single hot scene in the book for each couple to 19 years later with everyone being married with children; absolutely no transition; it seemed completely unneccisary and rushed. This is a long novel, not a movie.

I was even disappointed by the length of the novel. It seems to rush things rather quickly near the end, as if Rowling just wanted to get the book over with. Her style is very different from that of Tolkein, who takes nearly half of a book just for things to resolve themselves. There were many questions left unanswered in Harry Potter 7. It was even one of the shorter books of the series, with less than 700 pages.

Most of the book seemed wasted on Harry camping out with friends. They could have at least been studying new kinds of magic to battle the dark arts, rather than bickering with each other in the tent. Of course, some of the scenes were rather interesting and unexpected, like when they broke into the bank and escaped on a blind rampaging dragon.

It seemed rather odd that at the battle of hogwarts, very few professors died apart from Lupin, when they should have been the core of people fighting the battle. On the other hand, Harry loses more of his close friends. Tragically, the boy Teddy is orphaned, much like Harry, but the book discloses very little about him during the epilogue.

Overall it was an enjoyable read, but still a disappointment in many ways.

Yeah, it was basically like Rowling was beating us over the head with "only a TRUE GRYFFINDOR could pull that sword out of the sorting hat" and then Neville pulls it out and we're like, "oh, I guess that's why Neville's in Gryffindor, it all makes sense now."

So, I thought some of it was a little heavy-handed, but still a good read.

Here is a link that is about a Rowling interview, and includes information on what happens after book 7. *SPOILER WARNING ON THAT LINK*

That link goes into more detail than the Epilogue. For example, this it explains what Luna is up to after book 7. Surf around a little on that site: there are a few other links that provide additional info, too. Just beware if you haven't read book 7 yet.

...and I'd have to say I was rather amused by Trelawney taking out the werewolf dude... the earthy guy being taken out by the airhead, so to speak. :D

So much for the idea of Luna taking her father's place as editor and then dueling Rita Seeker to the death on a crumbling bridge over rushing water.

Still, it fits. =P

Despite a couple of tiny nitpicks, I enjoyed the book overall. I was a little worried that Rowling would have build up this massive thing and left herself with nowhere to go, but it looks like she really did have it all planned out from the start, and it resolved better than I'd hoped for.

All in all it was good.

But, I really wish that the ending wasn't so weak, and the Epilogue wasn't so "Smack my face on the desk" stupid.

They spent a whole lot of time sitting in the tent not doing anything.

And the body count was a tad high, with little reason.

Anyone made a list of the people who died? I lost track.

All in all it was good.

But, I really wish that the ending wasn't so weak, and the Epilogue wasn't so "Smack my face on the desk" stupid.

They spent a whole lot of time sitting in the tent not doing anything.

And the body count was a tad high, with little reason.

Anyone made a list of the people who died? I lost track.

Hrm.

Incomplete, probably, and from another source, with some additions:

-Charity Burbage

-Hedwig

-Mad-Eye Moody

-Bathilda Bagshot

-Dobby

-Pettigrew

-Gregovitch

-Grindelwald (?)

-Lupin

-Tonks

-Colin Creevey

-Fred Weasley

-Crabbe

-Snape

-Voldemort

-The muggle family of five (pg 439)

-The goblins Voldemort kills in Gringotts

-Ted Tonks

-Dirk Cresswell

-Gornuk

-Scrimgeour

Hrm.

-Charity Burbage

-Hedwig

-Mad-Eye Moody

-Bathilda Bagshot

-Dobby

-Pettigrew

-Gregovitch

-Grindelwald (?)

-Lupin

-Tonks

-Colin Creevey

-Fred Weasley

-Crabbe

-Snape

-Voldemort

-Ted Tonks

-Dirk Cresswell

-Gornuk

-Scrimgeour

Well, the count was indeed high, so I may have missed others, but Ted Tonks doesn't die. He's in the final chapter kissing Victoire, remember?

Well, the count was indeed high, so I may have missed others, but Ted Tonks doesn't die. He's in the final chapter kissing Victoire, remember?

"Teddy" lives, but his namesake (Tonks' dad) kicks the bucket. He was travelling with Dirk Cresswell and the goblins, remember?

lol it's Lupin

Ted Lupin. You got your Tonkses mixed.

ALSO:

Ted Lupin, son of a werewolf (Remus).

Victoire Weasley, daughter of a semi-werewolf (Bill).

Think it not ironic/planned?

Hrm.

-Charity Burbage

-Hedwig

-Mad-Eye Moody

-Bathilda Bagshot

-Dobby

-Pettigrew

-Gregovitch

-Grindelwald (?)

-Lupin

-Tonks

-Colin Creevey

-Fred Weasley

-Crabbe

-Snape

-Voldemort

-Ted Tonks

-Dirk Cresswell

-Gornuk

-Scrimgeour

I made up a death list as I was reading. Here are all the deaths I wrote down, in the order the reader is informed of them. (Page numbers are from the American version of the book.)

p. 12 - Charity Burbage

p. 56 - Hedwig

p. 78 - Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody

p. 159 - Rufus Scrimgeour

p. 233 - Gregorovitch's wife, and perhaps two children

p. 280 - Gregorovitch

p. 340 - Bathilda Bagshot

p. 377 - Slytherin's locket, Horcrux #3

p. 439 - Ted Tonks, Dirk Cresswell, Gornuk, five muggles

p. 471 - Peter Pettigrew

p. 472 - Grindelwald

p. 476 - Dobby

p. 549 - a Gringotts goblin et al.

p. 619 - two gargoyles

p. 623 - Hufflepuff's cup, Horcrux #4

p. 634 - Vincent Crabbe

p. 635 - Ravenclaw's diadem, Horcrux #5

p. 637 - Fred Weasley

p. 658 - Severus Snape

p. 661 - Remus Lupin, Nymphadora "Tonks" Lupin

p. 694 - Colin Creevey

p. 704 - Harry Potter, Horcrux #6

p. 733 - Nagini, Horcrux #7

p. 737 - Bellatrix Lestrange (or at least cursed)

p. 744 - Voldemort

I think the only additions here are the horcruxes, Gregorovitch's family, gargoyles, and Bellatrix.