The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

I also have a dumb newbie question about qoutes. How am I able to get "_insert person's name here_ wrote", or the same thing in a double quote? Thanks in advance and sorry for any previous grievances.

Fairly simple.

[quote="Some random forum person"]Stuff[/quote]

will result in

Stuff

Just don't forget the ".

]
I also have a dumb newbie question about qoutes. How am I able to get "_insert person's name here_ wrote", or the same thing in a double quote? Thanks in advance and sorry for any previous grievances.

Fairly simple.

[quote="Some random forum person"]Stuff[/quote]

will result in

Stuff

Just don't forget the ".

You can also just hit the quote button in the top right-hand corner of the post of the person you want to quote. This really comes in handy if their quote has quotes in it.

Oh yeah, don't listen to anyone who hasn't been here for over a year. Because they're all retarded.

Yay, that means I'm not retarded

No. He said anyone that hasn't been here for over a year is retarted.

That doesn't mean that someone that's been here for more than a year isn't retarted.

He's got a point. Look at some of those judges we've got...

:twisted:

Hey everyone.

Well, I've been cruising the site for the last couple days, gotten some songs, and I really like what I've found. This music is amazing and I definately want to be a part of it. Anyway let me introduce myself. I'm Lizzroid. I live in Seattle and I'm 16 years old. I havent made any remixes yet, but I'm sifting through a ton of articles on the site to make sense of it. Thanks.

Oh yea, sorry to sound like a complete moron, but what is Fruityloops and Reason?

Hey everyone.

Hello!

Oh yea, sorry to sound like a complete moron, but what is Fruityloops and Reason?

Yup... way to make yourself sound like a complete moron... they're two separate things ;-). Not that I know any more about them than that they both are tools to make electronic music with...

Hello everyone, Raulimus here and I'm a newbie to the forums, actually to any forums. The site is awesome, the forums are really nice and helpful and the music here is fantastic. Hmm love games, anime, cartoons, figures and that sort of stuff. Hit me up on AIM at VegetaBogard1658, or make me a friend on Battle.net "Raulimus". I also have my blog at 1Up.com under "KokiriKid84". Fighting games and RPGs are mostly my favorite, but my friend just got me into shmups and I'm loving them mainly any Gradius and Ikaruga. (Please lemme know if you recommend any other good ones) Well I guess that's it for me, I hope to have a sig soon. Stay cool, later. :mrgreen:

Hello everyone, Raulimus here and I'm a newbie to the forums, actually to any forums. The site is awesome, the forums are really nice and helpful and the music here is fantastic. Hmm love games, anime, cartoons, figures and that sort of stuff. Hit me up on AIM at VegetaBogard1658, or make me a friend on Battle.net "Raulimus". I also have my blog at 1Up.com under "KokiriKid84". Fighting games and RPGs are mostly my favorite, but my friend just got me into shmups and I'm loving them mainly any Gradius and Ikaruga. (Please lemme know if you recommend any other good ones) Well I guess that's it for me, I hope to have a sig soon. Stay cool, later. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the site. Read through the newb forum thoroughly.

hey, my name is mike. ive been lurking around for a while, and i just wanna say, I love you guys :wink:

I'm not sure if I should be the welcoming committee, but I'll give it a try.

Hiya Iron Nipple. Welcome to the ocremix forums. Enjoy your stay! I hope you have a fun stay.

The things you decide to do when you're bored...sigh

Anyhow, hello to any/all fellow college grads out there. I've been an OCRemix follower for 5+ years now, and have lurked in the forums for the past few months. My hope: to bring some vestige of post-adolescent sense into the wackiness that is an open online forum. See ya around...

Hi. I'm HS. I hate that 'covers' are frowned upon. I personally frown upon tunes that take the original and change it so much as to be a slap in the face to the original composer. That's just me. I'll probably never have a tune on this site for that very reason...

It's just really strange how some songs are considered a 'rip' ('funk dreamer') and others aren't ('bar hopping')...would be nice if someone could explain it for me...and yes, I DID read the submission guidlines. ;)

Anyway, good day to you all. :)

Hi. I'm HS. I hate that 'covers' are frowned upon. I personally frown upon tunes that take the original and change it so much as to be a slap in the face to the original composer. That's just me. I'll probably never have a tune on this site for that very reason...

It's just really strange how some songs are considered a 'rip' ('funk dreamer') and others aren't ('bar hopping')...would be nice if someone could explain it for me...and yes, I DID read the submission guidlines. ;)

Anyway, good day to you all. :)

There are quite a few people who think like you do - trust me. A rip is when a song takes the MIDI and does instrument changes. I've noticed as of late that this term is being passed around with increasing consistancy - its because some of the judges aren't really qualified to be saying some of that stuff but they do anyways cause they're dumb. Also - a remix that is really far from an original composer's stuff isn't necessarily bad - it shows other ways the composer could have taken from the original. A composer doesn't think that this is bad - its merely a different direction that the composer could have taken and as such isn't really that bad as you make it sound like. Anyways - glad to have you here!

:twisted:

hi

i'm levvy and i wanna be a mongoose dog

couple of quick questions (i'll ask here cos they really don't deserve an entire thread)

a) is #ocremix and the forums the same community? a few other forums i've posted on i've jumped in irc and said hi and everyone's liek "wtf who are you". so yeah are they generally the same group of guys or seperate entities?

B) why are everyones sigs so big and can i start a petition to shrink them? on a more serious note, is there an option i missed somewhere to browse without sigs showing?

c) i'm after some advice on buying instruments (primarily a new synth) but i was after a little more depth than the nub guides provided. are there any particular people around here worth asking, or better yet, an existing thread adressing this (this question is bound to have been done already)

a) They're pretty much separate communities. Other than a few members being in both, there aren't many similarities.

B) They're not big. You're just running in a low resolution ;). And a petition won't help. For the final question: No. If you use Firefox you can use it to block images from specific servers by right-clicking and selecting "Block images from <domain name>".

c) Check the Remixing forum for a thread, or ask in there with a new topic.

Hello i am Cerberus. I came here because i heard OverClocked was a good place to discuss many topics. I have a big desire to learn. I am a newblet here or whatever means new person. Please do not laugh at me if i mess up i will try my best to fit in. Thank you Mahaboo for telling me about Unmod that was the first place i went and didn't quite understand that section till reading your post.

Have fun, and yes, try to stay out of UnMod until you're ready for it. Are you not interested in the remixes here?

I have listened to several and find them quite interesting. I wish i had the skill to be a talented remixer as these people!!

Hello i am Cerberus. I came here because i heard OverClocked was a good place to discuss many topics. I have a big desire to learn. I am a newblet here or whatever means new person. Please do not laugh at me if i mess up i will try my best to fit in. Thank you Mahaboo for telling me about Unmod that was the first place i went and didn't quite understand that section till reading your post.
Have fun, and yes, try to stay out of UnMod until you're ready for it. Are you not interested in the remixes here?

I have listened to several and find them quite interesting. I wish i had the skill to be a talented remixer as these people!!

Very interested in remixing. Not quite sure how to go about everything though. The music here is great.