The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

Sup guys. This is ZaxCG2 otherwise known as Zax... or my less extreme name Zach. (Everything is extreme when you put an x on it).

I've been hanging around the site for the wealth of like 6 or 7 years I want to say... I would come here, listen to some good music, download the tracks I like. It wasn't until last weekend during my first time at Otakon, an anime convention in Baltimore, that I realized I would like to start getting into the community more.

The OC Remix panel there was a blast... pretty much the highlight of my whole weekend there. It was then that I realized that I should try and give back to the site which I've held on to for so long and buy a few T-shirts! Instead of grabbing some and moving on, though, I was cut off and ended following a group led by liontamer all the way down 4 stories of the convention center to a booth (apparently you could only sell things in a certain room?). I'm very glad I followed though, because it gave me a chance to chat with everyone from the panel and get my shirt signed by anyone I could find. :D Can't believe I got to meet djpretzel, too!

So yeah, everyone from OC Remix that I met, I just want to say thanks for being awesome. It was nice talking to you all!

Also, the FFIV album is so amazing. It was really enjoyable listening to it on my trip home! Kudos to everyone and anyone who worked on it!

Oh it feels good to finally be on here. After years of hearing Halc talk about this wondrous community, I finally felt up to joining and seeing what kind of music I, myself, could contribute. I've been writing for sometime now, but have only recently turned focus to remixing like Halc and Chthonic, my personal influences from my hometown. I love what everyone does here and look forward to becoming a part of it all!

wip forum and contributions. you've been here a month, man. most of the more well-known people have been here for years.

Like prophet himself, congrats on getting a remix past the judges by the way :3.

14 tries later to finally get another through :P.

Oh it feels good to finally be on here. After years of hearing Halc talk about this wondrous community, I finally felt up to joining and seeing what kind of music I, myself, could contribute. I've been writing for sometime now, but have only recently turned focus to remixing like Halc and Chthonic, my personal influences from my hometown. I love what everyone does here and look forward to becoming a part of it all!

i can't get over your hilarious sig

stop capitalizing my name (same with ben) :tomatoface:

i'm a DJ from St. Louis that has been producing for around a year. i've only got about 10 completed tracks, and only 4 of them i ever play at shows because of the mastering. there's a DJ and audio engineering graduate in StL that offers professional mastering services for a relatively inexpensive fee, but i'm pretty sure he just applies the same mastering chain to everything, which is something i'm really not interested in. i inquired about his services before i found this out, and now he keeps bugging me :|

anyway, i came here when i posted one of my remixes from Zelda: Link to the Past on YouTube, and i got a comment from a user here. i sent him a message and he gave me a lot of pointers on the track, so here i am. i'm here to learn more about making sounds sound better. i already know i'm good at making quality tunes, i just want them to sound shiny and sparkly.

http://skylar.ddrstl.com/imza/index.htm for my work.

been listening to OCRemix since Vol.1.

Hello people. This is the ever lurking Haburi. I've been familiar with this website for quite a while and am greatly in fond of some particular zelda remixes as well as some metroid ones. I come here mainly to enjoy listening the results of great amounts of musical talent and devotion.

That being said, I am part of a new project involving the revival of MREO. (Metroid reorchestrated.) Expect a thread about that to be made soon.

So... uh. Hi. :3

Hey everyone,

The name is Scrap McNapps. I have been popping by here occassionally to hear some of the different arrangements from some of my favourite games. I just took an interest in creating music and I hope that some of my arrangements will be as good as the ones that are already posted.

hi all!

i came across ocr only...around february, i think, when i downloaded voices of the lifestream. i was pretty much hooked by the epic sounds i heard and almost died of happiness when i found out that there was MORE. a lot more.

i'm not a remixer. i haven't even done anything musical in the past year. i just really love what goes on here. i joined because, well, i want to see more of how things happen here. maybe one day i'll come across the means and the patience to tackle my own musical endeavours.

So, my second post after helping someone out in my first post! I'm Laurens, 19 years old, and I live in Holland. I just finished college with final exams last year (on the highest level possible here), and will be doing the education "Composition And Music Technology" on the High School of Arts Utrecht, in Hilversum. I've been playing piano for 10 years now, also play a bit guitar and I'm a house DJ and producer.

The genres I like are very diverse; from rock to classical, movie/game soundtracks, electronical like house (more the progressive side of house though) and pop and jazz. Pop artists/bands I like at the moment: Jason Mraz, Snow Patrol, OneRepublic. My favorite filmcomposer is Hans Zimmer. What my goal is in the musicworld: no idea, I really like the idea of producing for artists, scoring for films and things like that. So that's why I'm starting with this education in September ;-)

What can I tell more... I've done arrangements for Pirates of the Caribbean 1 and 2, from the piano arrangement to an orchestral piece, without using the original published orchestral score, and am also busy with creating an orchestral piece from a solo piano piece.

Hardware/software: I just got a Macbook Pro 15" 2,66 Ghz with Logic Studio, completely new to the Apple stuff, but it feels and works very good. Before that I worked (and still work for now) with Reason and Sibelius for producing and scoring/arranging/writing. What I'm gonna do here: hope to contribute with some awesome remixes!

Hi Guys,

I am a composer willing to work on projects. I'm classically trained but can write in any style. I've written music for lots films, for advertisement and for radio. If your looking for a composer who works quick and produces a fantastic score to showcase your work, contact me.

juliacomposer@gmail.com

I will always respond really quickly to emails, so please dont hestitate to get in touch. I've added my bio down below.

Cheers,

julia

Julia is has completed a composition degree (B.mus) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. Teachers have included Anne Boyd, Michael Smetanin, Damien Ricketson, Anna Pimakhova and Mary Finsterer. During the course of her studies, Julia has received various composition prizes and scholarships including the Dorris Burnett Ford Scholarship, and John Antill Composition Scholarship for her Requiem and the Ignaz Friedman Prize for her ‘Piano sonata No.1’ written when she was just 17 years of age. In 2006 Julia was the first composer to be awarded ‘Best original film score’ at the Sydney Film schools screening/awards night for her work on the film ‘I am the Balloon’. Julia was recently awarded the Listener’s choice award for the ABC Orpheus Remix awards for her composition ‘Death is only the beginning’ earning a commission for another musico-dramatic work for radio. Julia is currently partnered with Nicholas Gentile to write Cheryl Sawyer's epic book "LA CREOLE" into a stage Opera/Musical. In 2009, Julia was chosen to write music for the new James Boags Beer promo video.

progress.gif

Selling ice to eskimos?

Welcome to ocr. :D Nobody here knows who you are, what you can do, and most of us are your competition, not potential employers/customers. If you want to get known here, you should do some remixes, review stuff, join projects... Also, posting your bio everywhere makes you look like a spammer with no serious interest in our community. Just fyi, and again, welcome.

Hi Guys,

I am a composer willing to work on projects. I'm classically trained but can write in any style. I've written music for lots films, for advertisement and for radio. If your looking for a composer who works quick and produces a fantastic score to showcase your work, contact me.

juliacomposer@gmail.com

I will always respond really quickly to emails, so please dont hestitate to get in touch. I've added my bio down below.

Cheers,

julia

Julia is has completed a composition degree (B.mus) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. Teachers have included Anne Boyd, Michael Smetanin, Damien Ricketson, Anna Pimakhova and Mary Finsterer. During the course of her studies, Julia has received various composition prizes and scholarships including the Dorris Burnett Ford Scholarship, and John Antill Composition Scholarship for her Requiem and the Ignaz Friedman Prize for her ‘Piano sonata No.1’ written when she was just 17 years of age. In 2006 Julia was the first composer to be awarded ‘Best original film score’ at the Sydney Film schools screening/awards night for her work on the film ‘I am the Balloon’. Julia was recently awarded the Listener’s choice award for the ABC Orpheus Remix awards for her composition ‘Death is only the beginning’ earning a commission for another musico-dramatic work for radio. Julia is currently partnered with Nicholas Gentile to write Cheryl Sawyer's epic book "LA CREOLE" into a stage Opera/Musical. In 2009, Julia was chosen to write music for the new James Boags Beer promo video.

That's nice, but you should contribute to the community before trying to sell your skills on our forum. :\

Moved to Newbies thread.

Hi Guys,

juliacomposer@gmail.com

Cheers,

julia

progress.gif

huh. too bad that no one here needs you around for that reason =) oh well, another one-post member for the books.

i'd suggest you hop over to moddb if you actually want to create for games.

Hi everybody,

While this site is definitely not new to me, these forums are. I've been enjoying OCR for about 8-9 years now off and on and video game music in general my entire life. I decided to finally register because I'm a little older now and I feel like I can finally invest some time into a community that I really do appreciate and care about.

First I want to say thank you to djpretzel and anybody else who was a part of making this site and whoever helped keep it going strong. Also all of the DJ's that have contributed to making VGM remixes. This site has brought me a lot of joy over the past years and I just wanted to acknowledge everybody for that.

Thank You.

Now a little about myself,

I grew up playing video games my entire life. I was born in the NES generation (born Aug 1985, two months later Nintendo launched in America Oct 1985). My earliest video game memory was when I was 3 years old, I played Galaga on my older brothers NES all night long until I practically peed my pants (Considering I was only 3 I probably did lol). Fast forward 20 years and I now work in the industry working a dream job as a video game tester.

I know how to read music and play the piano poorly haha, but at least well enough to teach myself a song if I wanted to learn one. A.K.A. I only ever want to learn how to play my favorite video game songs.

My music genre of choice is Electronica with the main sub genres being Trance/Eurodance/Dance which I'm not surprised since I've been listening to repetative video game music my whole life.

I love all video game genres but my favorite growing up were the amazing platform games that you don't see anymore today (marios, megamans, dk countrys, earthworm jims etc). As I grew older I started to really enjoy RPG's and now I pretty much play anything I can get my hands on since it's all considered "market research."

Anyways hello all and I hope to see you around on the site! Happy Remixing!

Grandiose Post Meridies!

I found this site about 2 weeks back while looking up information on the Chrono Trigger Soundtrack, and I can deffinately say I am pleased by what I've found on the site so far.

I think that is excellent that there is a comunity out here doing this, promoting the enhancement of musical talent as well as remembering past games, with quality control and community input.

I'm a Computer Science graduate with hopes of someday creating games (though my current career isn't really along those lines)

Currently, one of the many things I do as a hobby is creating music (no remixes yet, but I may give it a shot). I have a little over an hour of my own music in MIDI form in various stages of completion. (all created through the Free version of Anvil Studio) Nothing is near the level of quality I see on this site, so ... I'll be looking through the forums for how to take that next step in production.

I occasionally volunteer to run a local soundboard, and I've done the audio cleanup/leveling on the video releases of a few theatre productions... but don't really have any formal training doing so. If anyone knows of a program or method that will let me run a multi-track MIDI through for mixing purposes, I would be grateful.

Thank you! Pleased to meet you all!

Hoy ^^;;

Just decided maybe I should start here in getting involved with the community. I'm a long time visitor of ocr, and I actually created this account a long while back, but this is my first time really participating in the forums.

I've been playing around with music for a little while now (In garageband though +_+) and I'm trying to develop a better understanding of how music works and why things that sound good... sound good =P

I'm a seasoned artist in the visual sense of the term. I've got a deviantart (of the same name. maybe you've seen me or my stuff) but I've always wanted to get into the aural realm of art.

so I finally acted on those urges and I'm starting to work my way around the world of sound. Still learning the basics, but I trust my time here and my efforts in arranging and making music will eventually get me feeling comfortable.

I already have a background in traditional music, having taken piano for around a decade, and having played in a concert band through middle school and highschool (playing percussion). But my understanding of music theory is still microscopic compared to my experience in the visual department. But again, I hope my efforts and my time spent here will maybe one day get me to the point where I can arrange music worthy of the long list here on ocr!

</cheesyintroduction>