The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually been with the video game remixing community for awhile now. More as a listener, than a remixer. I've been frequenting this site for the past six years, however most of my community participation was with the recently departed (yet with a chance of rejuvenation) VGmix. I was there from 2 through till X, and watched it slowly wither and die as members and post counts dwindled to a trickle. I come here as a refugee, however, I'm glad that I have a place to go to review tracks and dawdle in forums.

Shout outs go to Dennis Mott, Gwilym Wogan, Arthur Pope, Chad Seiter, Nick Hagman (Nario), and Zyko who kept the place alive, even though there was hardly anyone else there.

Special thanks to Jake for all the awesome memories left there.

Love video games, and the music in them (as it applies). I make it a point to regularly check here for remix updates of games I've played (as I only listen to them if I recognize the source tune -- so I can get an idea of where the mix is coming from, otherwise it holds no significance to me). Perfect Dark for the N64 and most recently, XBLA, is my favorite game. Rare was my favorite developer until Nintendo kicked them out of the Tree House, and now Valve has filled the void that Rare consequently left. Project 86 is my favorite band, with my favorite album being Drawing Black Lines. Yes they're Christian, and yes, I myself am one. I detest the swearing in rap, however I won't make a big deal out of it, cause I have my own rap to listen to (yes I've read THAT forum).

I'm a graphic designer by trade. I currently freelance, and have just started my own business with another designer. The site's here: https://www.h20webhosting.com

Still under construction, but functional. It took me kicking and screaming to start designing with CSS, btw.

Love the site, and I love the music. You guys are awesome.

Edited by Maxx Skywalker

Hi everyone! I had about 500-600 remixes on my iPod (my brother, DJBayview, gave them to me). Well, I had accidentally deleted them, and tried to download them today.. But, I'm using a Mac, and it won't let me. it just keeps playing the song. Anyone know what I could do? (Iunno exactly where to post this, so I'm posting this here). I absolutely love these remixes, especially the Final Fantasy ones by AmIEvil. :<

I don't think this is the appropriate place to ask that question (but I could be wrong). However, probably the best solution is to download the torrent, to get them all back. Or right-click the download link to the song and hit "Save Target As" (or "Save Link As") from the sub menu that pops up.

If you don't have a right mouse button, first, get a mouse that has two buttons. The old Mac mice are inferior, and should all be thrown away.

I believe the 'cmd' key should work for bringing up those menus. Believe it or not, the mac can use third party USB mice.

mac-keyboard-keys-475x271.jpg

Edited by Maxx Skywalker

Yeah, I figured he might've moved over here as well. I saw Jake too. Course, it helped that he posted a mix of a soundtrack he created.

Also. Mac keyboards are wonky as well. Never really liked Apple's way of doing things anyways. And that's coming from a graphic/web designer.

So when people ask me why I don't use a Mac for my designing, I just give them this retort, "well I don't suppose Microsoft has their designers using the competitor's machines. . ."

Well, I had accidentally deleted them, and tried to download them today.. But, I'm using a Mac, and it won't let me. it just keeps playing the song. Anyone know what I could do? (Iunno exactly where to post this, so I'm posting this here).

Well this is the right place. :D Using torrents are faster, and that way you'll get everything to pick and choose from. It also helps the site by saving bandwidth. Unless hard drive space is an issue or you're behind a firewall, I suggest you get them thorugh torrents.

If not, and for remixes not yet in the torrents, alt-click the download link (the name of the mirror) if you're in Safari, not sure about Firefox. You can also right/control-click on it and then select to download, but that's too much trouble when downloading lots. Alt-click the link, or alt-return the url of the mp3.

Anyway, biased much, Maxx?

Hello! I'm a big fan of the vg remixes here. I've downloaded my fair share and decided I should join the forums, too. I hope to get to know some of you!

I love retro games; Genesis is my favorite system. Some of my favorite games include: Phantasy Star II (hence the Anna avy, plus I wanted to identify myself as a femme-type, just in case the user name wasn't a dead giveaway), ToeJam & Earl, the Lunar games, the Sonic games, Star Control, the Lufia games, the other Phantasy Star games, The Adventures of Willy Beamish, Panic! (yes, I actually liked that game), various Heroes of Might and Magic games, Populous (thought it would never run properly on my Genesis), Full Throttle, and... well, this list could go on forever.

On an even dorkier level, I write fanfic for Phantasy Star II. Unholy amounts of it, actually. Hehe.

Me? Um, I live and work in the DC metro area, I like writing (as noted above) and am currently working on a novel, I'm into a few manga series, Philip K. Dick is my favorite author, I love lasagna (like Garfield!), I'm into most genres of music except country, and I love sci-fi passionately.

hy@all

i´m new here:grin: and a big fan of this site and the artists.

i´m 29 (30:whatevaa:) old and make music since i´m 13! i came from germany ..so sorry for the bad english...(somtimes is it the fault of google translated8))

my music style? hmmmm... hard to explain

Hi guys,

Been lurking around here for about a month now after finding out about the place from Extra Credits on the Escapist. Outside of Powerglove and Megadriver, I wasn't sure there were many places to find alternative arrangements of VG music on the net - I was wrong lol

In any case, I've been doing my own half-arsed attempts at arrangements of VG music for about 2 years now (nothing finished really, but still really entertaining) and figured that if I signed up here and tried a little harder I'd get some stuff completed and contribute to the cause and learn some things along the way.

Hoping to get in on the FFIX project too, so I'm gonna work away on that. In other arrangements, the vast majority will probably be sourced from RPGs.

Thanks for having me! icon7.gif

Thank you, my name is NeonGaming. I had a better name, but it was taken. I joined after ocremix on YouTube asked to be my friend and I got interested further in OverClocked remixes.

I use FL Studio 9 XXL for making music, and I just got it, so I'm not the best with it. Right now, I'm making a remix of World 8 from SMB3, and I'm also making a video game (although it's no in dev. process yet) myself.

Also, my favorite remixer is... SnappleMan. Yeah, probably him.

EDIT: I made a quick remix of the underground level in SMB1, but I'm not too happy with it.

Edited by NeonGaming

Thank you, my name is NeonGaming. I had a better name, but it was taken. I joined after ocremix on YouTube asked to be my friend and I got interested further in OverClocked remixes.

I use FL Studio 9 XXL for making music, and I just got it, so I'm not the best with it. Right now, I'm making a remix of World 8 from SMB3, and I'm also making a video game (although it's no in dev. process yet) myself.

Also, my favorite remixer is... SnappleMan. Yeah, probably him.

EDIT: I made a quick remix of the underground level in SMB1, but I'm not too happy with it.

Hey dude, welcome to OCR! Good to meet you. I just wanted to say if you're going to be remixing, the workshop forums is a great place to get feedback before you submit your song. It can be a long wait, so you want to make sure you've got your song solid before submitting. Cheers mang. :-)

the first page has... the most recent posts???

i been downloading for at least 5 years lol

darkesword's pearl diver is what originally got me mad keen

used to only go to vgmix (and download, not post) and only even look at mixes in the top 2 or 3 tiers... remember that, they had all the mixes listed in order of best to worst lolol

dabbled in fruityloops, here's my masterpiece, brace yourself

i live in melbourne australia.... uhhhh

the end

Hello,

I'm new here and am a long-time fan of video game music. I've been writing my own stuff for around 5 years via MIDI, soundfonts and some trackers (mostly Famitracker). I like attempting to recreate the sounds of the 8 and 16-bit eras (usually NES and Genesis) and am somewhat of a purist when it comes to those sounds, but I don't really have the knowledge to always be able to gather all of the instruments/samples. I am hoping I can learn more how such sounds are recreated through whatever means and am also trying to learn more about using FL Studio to create a more professional sound to my music. I am currently working on a game for which I am using Famitracker to create all of the music and sound effects.

As for remixing, while I have yet to do any actual "remixes," I have transcribed a lot of different tracks to MIDI or module and applied a different style to them. My latest rewrites, which are on Youtube, are Castlevania III songs using Dawn of Sorrow instruments in Milkytracker.

My favorite game series is Castlevania, which also has my favorite game music. My favorite game overall is Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse.

I love a lot of music I have found by OCRemix artists (LSD, Gecko Yamori and SnappleMan are a few names that immediately come to mind) and am excited to have finally registered on the forums!

• 2 weeks later...

My name is Dabbyl and i'm new here. Not new to remixing per se, but i will say that my high school didn't have wonderful equipment. As of now i'm researching and trying to figure out just what it is that i need to remix in the first place. Anyways just wanted to introduce myself and once i get my equipment set up be ready for me to throw some of my music your way!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody who is reading this message, I am LugiaDialga. I started making remixes for fun about 1-year ago and posted them on Youtube. I've been getting better over this year long period of time but I have come here to try and strive for even more skills of greatness, to learn from the best is my only mission.

But hey, everyone here starts from some early stage, so perhaps OCR shall provide the things I need to become a good remixer!

Anyways now onto more of the stuff I do. I use FL Studio 9.0 with several good VSTs but acquiring more plugins and programs would be acceptable if it shall help me.

I hope to make many friends here who all share this one thing in common: we make remixes for the heck of it and have fun doing so.

I do not mind random PMs of hello, so do feel free to drop one by! :mrgreen:

Sup. Douhneill (pronounced do-kneel) here. I'm working on making some sort of game in my spare time. Wasn't expecting on trying to work on my own music, but then my friend gave me his copy of Reason and said "go crazy". So I did.

My stuff isn't too good yet, but that's why I'm here. Nice to meet you all.

Also, where do I go to get criticism and stuff on my work? It's annoying listening to stuff I've made and having no clue how to "fill it".

Edited by Douhneill