The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

Sup. Douhneill (pronounced do-kneel) here. I'm working on making some sort of game in my spare time. Wasn't expecting on trying to work on my own music, but then my friend gave me his copy of Reason and said "go crazy". So I did.

My stuff isn't too good yet, but that's why I'm here. Nice to meet you all.

Also, where do I go to get criticism and stuff on my work? It's annoying listening to stuff I've made and having no clue how to "fill it".

Game remixes here, other music here. Welcome. :D

Just had my account activated here so:

-I just signed up for the site

-I work with the DAW Pro Tools 8 (well I finish/master in it, I mainly do my actual composing in Guitar Pro in MIDI and then import it into Pro Tools, slow comp makes this easier then doing it all in Pro Tools)

-I write in pretty much any style I'd like at the time I'm writing, basically I like to experiment with multiple styles/sounds

-I mainly do original music, but I also like remixing video game music (some examples are on my homepage (my youtube account -http://www.youtube.com/user/Basssurge?feature=mhum ).

-"Why do your remixes suck so much?" A: My comp at the moment is a bit old, it works fine for most things but Pro Tools seems to be a bit much for it, thus I often have to make projects in multiple files and put them together/deal with the frustration of it randomly crashing on me on occasion along with the fact that exporting still leads to "meh" results.

-I can play multiple musical instruments at least to a basic level including Guitar, Bass Guitar, Saxophone, Banjo, Sitar and Bowed Psaletry.

-I've found that in general, the OC remixes of VG tracks normally turn out to be the highest quality remixes in general

-I often over complicate things (like this post for example)

And about the username, no I haven't seen Young Frankenstein, the name actually sort of "evolved" from names I've used in online video games (I started using the name Wherewolf, seeing it as a pun but of course every once in a while you get that one guy telling you that "you spelled werewolf wrong." Thus to avoid confusion, I started adding on the "Therewolf" at the end when I began using forums).

Merry Christmas!! :D

Like pretty much everyone else here, I just signed up! So hello! My name is Sam and I'm from Buffalo, NY!

I've loved video game music my entire life, (well, most of it) starting with those first iconic notes I heard when I got Streets of Rage 2. (My very first video game) The rest is history!

I'm a music major at Buffalo State College (ONE MORE SEMESTER TO GO!) Then who knows where life will take me after that!

I just submitted my first piece to OCRemix, wish me luck!:mrgreen:

Hello, I'm Hunter "Rubix" Short. I've got ADD, OCD, potential Asperger's and slight social anxiety; this gives me capacity to be whacky, wild, and obnoxious (what I call "letting loose" or "having fun"), yet also at times calm, coy, cool, collected, and what some might or might not call "smart".

I talk and type with hick dialect to effectively lower my communication standard and relax some; born, raised, and residing in Texas.

Musical Influence

I've loved Phil Collins since he and Mark Mancina scored Disney's Tarzan when I was 3 or 4. I believe that was the first CD I ever called my own. My collection slowly grew: Phil Collins' Hits, Genesis' Turn It On Again, other stuffs - Michael Jackson's Thriller, Best Of The Police, some Toto, and more - which I didn't listen to nearly as much. Since my first decade, I've grown less obsessed with video games and tech as I've grown more interested in both music and film. Thus, last year when I discovered I'm not much of a [computer] programmer, I decided I'm a film composer. That's my primary career goal and focus now. My favorites? James Horner's A Beautiful Mind and Bicentennial Man and Searching For Bobby Fischer (his Magnum Opus, what people know him for, is James Cameron's Titanic); Michael Giacchino's LOST and The Incredibles and Up (Up won him most every film score award of 2009, Oscar to Grammy and more); Hans Zimmer's The Dark Knight and Sherlock Holmes (2009) and Inception; too many others.

Therefore, as video games have been my primary obsession (to an extreme) since I was introduced through Rare's Donkey Kong Country and Acclaim's Batman Forever (as well as the SNES port of NBA JAM) as a baby, I've also always appreciated video game music. Love Koji Kondo and Marty O'Donnell and Dave Wise and Kenji Yamamoto and...

Vigilante's Beneath The Surface, an instrumental smooth jazz solo(s)-focused extension of the classic Aquatic Ambience theme from Donkey Kong Country 1, is my favorite OCremix. BLiNd's Jade Catacombs and BigGiantCircles' Nova Siberia also come to mind.

I'm not much of a noob; I've submitted a few mixes these past few years, and my latest - Jolly Bowser's Road, a piano medley sorta mix - got good marks. (as fer my older ones....) I figured I oughtta finally formally introduce myself. Apologies for being too thorough. ;)

I'm very interested in directing an OCR album/project soon. I agree with Emunator's kind advice: that I oughtta get my name out there a little more before I try to rally an album team and community remixer interest. So I'll put up a couple ol' tracks o' mine in the Workshop to see what y'all think soon. :) Thanks! Love everybody here, OCR rocks!

Hello OCR!

I've seen what gets done over here, and I'd love to be a part of the community that makes such things. I've done a few chiptunes...but I don't think that I'm as skilled as half the people on here (if what's been posted to the main-site is any indication). I'd love to help in any way that I can with what's going on, however!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm Johnny Fuel. I'm just a guitarist who loves video game music (among many genres as well). I can play in a variety of genres, but I love classical the most. I'm currently working on a classical guitar remix of "Reign of the Septims" and as soon as I figure out how to use the recording equipment at my college, I'll get that out of the way and see if I have what it takes to meet the OCR standards!

Hey, my name's Dave and I'm new to the OC ReMix forums, but I'm a long-time fan of the work being done here.

Some quick background information about me: I double-majored in Piano Performance and Computer Science, so I'm both music- and tech-savvy. Though I was a pretty serious performer all through school, by the time I graduated, I'd switched my focus more toward composition, and writing music for games and/or films is now my dream.

My biggest problem is that all of my composition was done old-school-style, with a pen and manuscript paper. I'm trying to get away from that and into the whole "audio engineering" side of things, and I'm having trouble just finding a good jumping off point. I'm reading slowly through the tutorial threads, but I still find myself overwhelmed by all the stuff there is to know. Are a computer, Pro Tools, and a keyboard enough to create half-decent music, or do I need a billion other things, too (or, conversely, do I even need to spend all that money on software)?

I'm hoping to find those kinds of answers here, and I thought maybe trying my hand at a remix or two would be a great way to get into everything. Plus, everyone here really seems to know their stuff, so I'm looking forward to hopefully getting to chat with some of you!

Hello, all.

Name's Turtle. I've been writing music (both fan works and original stuff) for a few years now, but it's pretty rough. Part of the reason is the fact that I'm still using Anvil Studio as notation software (something to note about me - I'm ridiculously cheap). The other part is the fact that I'm still learning. In the interest of learning, I've decided I can't afford to ignore this site as a resource for growth.

I can play the piano, for given definitions of the words "play" and "piano." Basically I'm quite lazy and while I could play intermediate or even advanced pieces if I put my mind to it and applied myself, I don't practice nearly enough. I'm working on doing that more.

Some other things to know about me:

• I suck.
  • I have self-esteem issues.
  • I sometimes have a strange sense of humor.
  • I'm a little shy and don't open up to people easily. Please don't take it personally.
  • I have a passion for fictional works of any sort, usually video games; but also books, film, and television.
  • I'm socially and politically conservative. I don't really plan on debating in this forum, but just for future reference...
  • I'm a staunch believer in using proper grammar on the Internet. no txt spk pl0x

Hey guys, been a long time fan of OC (back when it was remix.overclocked.org) and a video game music writer, both fan and original, for over a decade now. Most of my work never saw the light of day until recently, besides the original work which was mostly for small/indy games released online, and I've come to find my love that I had for it all over again after taking a break for a few years.

I range in everything from piano and orchestral to hard rock and metal re-arrangements and covers, with a heavy influence from early game systems like the NES, Genesis, SNES, and Gameboy. I tend to like to add my own flair to the songs as well, giving them a more personal touch.

Either way, won't bore you with details, anything that I guess could be known about me will come out in due time. I'm on ReverbNation and Youtube as FrozenPhoenixMusic. Catch you guys around.

Hello, I'm SonicChrono, and I have been a fan of OCRemix, because of the Project Chaos soundtrack, and other good game remixes I listened to in a while. I just came here to learn how to make remixes with FL Studio, and I think I will enjoy this site as much as my own work in progress that.

I started my first song which was a techno-rock mix of Rock Club for Scott Pilgrim VS. The World the videogame, and I will continue working on it to add more verses to the song after finishing up the first verse of it since I made a sample MP3 of it by exporting the project at 128Kbps.

With that out of the way, I would say it's nice to meet you all. :)

What's up? My name is Evan, but I go by the signature "Nonamer" (or Nonamer98 ) all throughout the internet. I love music, but especially love video game music. I come from a musical background, in that my mother is a musician, I can sing (baritone), and I am hoping to learn to play the piano.

I found OCRemix about four months ago, and I have downloaded almost one hundred tracks I like, and chances are there are hundreds I have yet to discover.

Since I live in Washington, DC, I'm not far from the epicenter of OCR (mainly the Cheasapeake area). I went to my first MAGfest this year, and the OCR panel as well as some encouragement from the guys at Overclocked After Dark convinced me to join the forums.

I hope to eventually make mixes of my own. I'm going to do some research on how to make music without resorting to a recording studio.

Peace,

Nonamer

Hi all, I'm d@rkfagio, but I'm also known on the Internet as D@rkraven or 'TheDarkraven92' (YouTube). I'm an Italian musician, interested also in Videogame design, Literature, Philosophy and Role Playing Games. I play the piano, compose my own musics (both instrumental and vocal) and mix them.

Well... 'mix' :mrgreen:

There's a reason for which I decided to sign in, that is: How to mix?

I never used a sequencer, so my steps are quite 'naive'. I hope to improve my knowledge here and, who knows, maybe I'll get a reputation :wink:

For now, I'm working for a pair of student project for Indie RolePlayingGames, that is: composing the soundtracks of the trailers, the videos, the sites...

Let's see where do I get 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody! My name is Andy and I'm a starry-eyed young video game soundtrack-composer/music student whose sole drive in life is to make music for video games. That being said, I've been listening to OC Remixes for a long time (at least nine years I think) even before I knew how to use the internet properly and thought you could write "Rayman" on a floppy disk and then play "Rayman!"

I've always loved OC remixes a lot and I finally decided to take initiative and join you fellas. I hope to make great contributions to the communal music library and make some great friends!

heya what's up, im Steve ive posted on here a few times, but long long ago. i was going to be active on here back when I first started, but i was asked to mod another forum about snes emulation, but nintendo threatened to sue the guy running it and since then it went to shite.

i thought that i could waste my life here get to know people that care about video games, video game music, and probably just music in general.

other than that im just like every regular jack-off, like video games, guitar, music, movies, and anything that makes me laugh :D.

oh yeah and your music is awesome!

Hey, The name's Zerizaki. i have looked at this site for years now, but never found the urge to join until i was listening to a *spoiler* soundtrack and decided "im going to finally do something with my time, and stop being on the recieving end of the remixes" so now i have a reason to jpin, and a WIP remix. its a little late for the *spoiler* album, but it should sound good.

P.S. i dunno if i want to reveal the identity of my remix yet, so i put spoilers, but i might have a WIP file up soon, just because i've been doing heavy work on it and its coming along fast.

P.P.S. I look forward to sharing and collaborating with you fellow remixers, and chatting with everyone on the forums, thanks for letting me join in the fun :<

Hi! I'm SoniaLumina and I'm a fan of OCR for years and finally decided to join. I'm a vocalist, write lyrics from time to time, and I love to play video games. Right now I'm majoring in music (professional vocalist). I've done a few covers from anime to video games on my spare time. Also I'm more than happy to lend my voice to whoever are in need of female voices.

New ppl with some skill in something (hello and welcome and stuff :D), do provide a link to your gallery or something so we can see your work.

There's lots of projects on ocr, so if you wanna help out, check them out and see if any of them needs your skills. Not everyone reads the newbie intro thread. If you wanna take part in what we do here, don't just wait, go take part. :)

Hello everyone!

I'm ProjectTrinity. The guy in charge of a small-ish group of composers/singers/writers/ect. Basically, we do loads of projects like The Perjurer, Al'asuiaga'ta, and soundtracks. Since I'm a composer, I thought I could learn a thing or two from fellow composers here. :'3 I'll be hosting my works once I get used to the site, so until then, I hope I stay out of trouble~

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! I'm a long time listener from OCremix. I love all the remix you do guys! SO cheer up.

Enough of this nonsense!

I'll introduce myself.

My name is Roch Côté, and I'm from val-d'or (Québec, Canada). I love music so much that I can't stop listening to it. My original language is French. I'm not very good in english but I'll try to explain myself as good as I can. I'm 20 years old and I'm interested into making music since I was 14. I decided to subscribe to the forum 'cause I want to help you guys making more of this beautiful Music. I have fruity loops, buzz, a mouse, a keyboard and of course, my Head !! ;)

I made about 80 songs ( MAjor crap ^^ ) but I'm getty good around fruity loops.

That's about it. If you need more information or want to chat, don't hesitate. Meanwhile I'm gonna post My first remix.