The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

I had to look up those acronyms... virtual studio technology? Digital audio workstation? Goodness, that sounds awfully complicated. :-) No, that's a bit out of my league.

The audio software project I've been working on recently could best be described with the high concept pitch of: "Chipamp in the web browser." I hope to make chiptunes more accessible by allowing them to be played directly in a web browser.

That's... actually a really awesome idea!

A good idea is to pit-stop to the workshop. I swear it is the best thing!

carsguidong4.jpg

PITSTOP!

Couldn't resist

Edited by Anorax

Hi everyone!

My name is Ben, but online people call me LP for short. Oh, it's not short for Ben. It's short for Legendary Possum!

Legendary because I love all things legend. Brutal Legend, The Legend of Zelda, legendary berry fruit punch. Wasn't a big fan of I am Legend, though.

And possum because I just love the little underappreciated buggers to death. With their big ol' mouths and their widdle paws and the way the babies climb all over the mama like she's a jungle gym. I'm getting the word out about possums!

I'm an avid collector and listener to video game music and I have been my whole life. I'm just now learning this composition business, but I think I'm on the right track! My inspirations are, beginning with the obvious, Koji Kondo and Motoi Sakuraba. Then comes John Powell, James Newton Howard, James Horner, John Williams, Danny Elfman, etc. And last but not least, the classical composers and, in particular, the efforts of Swiss musician Marc Reift and the Philharmonic Wind Orchestra (look 'em up on Amazon).

I really enjoy the big-band, wind-orchestra sound, and I'm trying to emulate that in my current and future ReMixes. I look forward to getting and giving feedback to all my fellow musicians here at OCR!

~LP

Hi everyone!

My name is Ben, but online people call me LP for short. Oh, it's not short for Ben. It's short for Legendary Possum!

Legendary because I love all things legend. Brutal Legend, The Legend of Zelda, legendary berry fruit punch. Wasn't a big fan of I am Legend, though.

And possum because I just love the little underappreciated buggers to death. With their big ol' mouths and their widdle paws and the way the babies climb all over the mama like she's a jungle gym. I'm getting the word out about possums!

I'm an avid collector and listener to video game music and I have been my whole life. I'm just now learning this composition business, but I think I'm on the right track! My inspirations are, beginning with the obvious, Koji Kondo and Motoi Sakuraba. Then comes John Powell, James Newton Howard, James Horner, John Williams, Danny Elfman, etc. And last but not least, the classical composers and, in particular, the efforts of Swiss musician Marc Reift and the Philharmonic Wind Orchestra (look 'em up on Amazon).

I really enjoy the big-band, wind-orchestra sound, and I'm trying to emulate that in my current and future ReMixes. I look forward to getting and giving feedback to all my fellow musicians here at OCR!

~LP

Sweet! Welcome to the community LP!

Don't be afraid to post your work in the Workshop forums, whether finished or not. Great place to gain experience!

Hello, I am Michael or 'Socky42' online.

While i've covered some video game songs on YouTube, I never really attempted the whole 'remix' thing. And to grow as a musician, I guess diversifying by joining a site like this will help.

I'm not really new here, I've always been into ocremix I'm just not exactly someone who gets very involved with people, but I'm interested in making the music now and hopefully somewhere down the line when I develop my skills I can help add to something bigger than myself. Or I can get hit by a bus tomorrow, who knows.

I'm also the united states champion of Mario Kart 64 for those of you who don't know,

I'm Jeffrey Gutierrez here,

http://speeddemosarchive.com/MarioKart64.html

and here,

http://speedrunwiki.com/Jeffrey_Gutierrez

as well as here,

http://www.mariokart64.com/mk64/pl.cgi

I also play quake live competitively, left 4 dead on Steam, and I'm true Earthbound/Doom/Zelda/Final fantasy fan.

My favorite video game composers are Keeichi Suzuki, Koji Kondo and bobby prince probably. I also like Alexander Scriabin piano music, Beethoven and Aphex twin as well as artist like u-ziq, massive attack.

I play the piano and compose music but I'm not very good at it. atleast not yet. I got my entire life to build up on these skills and by the looks of it it will be all I have to do for a good while.

If that's not proof I like video games and video game music then I don't know what is.

Nice to meet you all I hope to be a productive member of this community somehow.

here is my current project it's called "suffocating matryoshka"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v-QdNloKtE&feature=plcp

Edited by Nicholestien

I just discovered this site 2 days ago after hearing some of the remixes on youtube while I was browsing for final fantasy remixes. I love great redos of the music of that series. As for other music, I mainly listen to metal and a few scene musicians (Bjorn Lynne, Jogeir Liljedahl, Chris Huelsbeck). For games, I love Final Fantasy (played 1, 2, 4, 5, and Crisis Core) and Monster Hunter, although I also play Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow, and some other great PSP games. I also play on Kongregate.

Hello Everyone,

I'm Ammature, and I've known about OCremix for a while now, but I finally decided to join the forums because I'm interested in making music as an artistic hobby. I really enjoy music without lyrics (lyrics in a lot of songs today are beyond terrible), and music that conveys a scene really well, like in music videos (I considered doing AMVs, but I'm not that into anime, and this is easier). Video game music fits that description perfectly. Sometimes I can compose an entire song in my mind to fit a particular mood, and I usually end up forgetting it. My hope is to get to a skill level where I can compose quickly enough to record my mental soundtrack before I forget it.

So right now, I'm trying to just use free software since I'm not too serious about this yet. I'm trying to learn how to use LMMS (Linux Multimedia Studio), and I have Audacity installed (although I never use it), so I'm hoping that I can make some decent quality music for my first few remix attempts.

After browsing the guide and etc, I still have a question to you "veteran"-ish people: How long does it typically take you to remix a song? From what I've read, you're using actual instruments and extra software and software plugins and it can take months to get a song made. For a lower-quality remix with just software, do you think it would take a long time to make a complete song? (long = > 2 months)

Hello Everyone,

I'm Ammature, and I've known about OCremix for a while now, but I finally decided to join the forums because I'm interested in making music as an artistic hobby. I really enjoy music without lyrics (lyrics in a lot of songs today are beyond terrible), and music that conveys a scene really well, like in music videos (I considered doing AMVs, but I'm not that into anime, and this is easier). Video game music fits that description perfectly. Sometimes I can compose an entire song in my mind to fit a particular mood, and I usually end up forgetting it. My hope is to get to a skill level where I can compose quickly enough to record my mental soundtrack before I forget it.

So right now, I'm trying to just use free software since I'm not too serious about this yet. I'm trying to learn how to use LMMS (Linux Multimedia Studio), and I have Audacity installed (although I never use it), so I'm hoping that I can make some decent quality music for my first few remix attempts.

After browsing the guide and etc, I still have a question to you "veteran"-ish people: How long does it typically take you to remix a song? From what I've read, you're using actual instruments and extra software and software plugins and it can take months to get a song made. For a lower-quality remix with just software, do you think it would take a long time to make a complete song? (long = > 2 months)

Welcome to the OCR Comunnity!

To answer, it should take about 1 week rough for the song to be complete in length. But according to your mood and suggestion made it could go longer. Still this is only rough work. The polishing and extra layering and add-on are taking quite an extensive time to finish.

Myself, I could do a 3:00 song in a day. But it sounds 3:00 in a day!

Hope it is what you were seeking.

How long does it typically take you to remix a song? From what I've read, you're using actual instruments and extra software and software plugins and it can take months to get a song made. For a lower-quality remix with just software, do you think it would take a long time to make a complete song? (long = > 2 months)

Welcome. You should check out the 1-hour compos for some idea of what can be done in an hour. Give ppl a week, and they'll come up with stuff like the Mega Man compos here on ocr.

It depends on the song. If you play piano and make a piano song, you're likely gonna work a lot faster than if you're writing and humanizing an entire orchestra.

It also depends on your skill and your tools, obviously. I could make something listenable in an hour, I think. Others might not. It depends.

Thanks guys, those responses pretty much answer my question. I don't expect to become extremely skilled immediately, but its good to have a goal in mind. And one of the best parts about using software is that I can just edit it again if I want to, so I can polish it as much as I'd like.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, all.

Been a fan of OCremix since it showed up in Game Informer several years back.

I'm a beginning amateur musician who's long term goal is music composition. My favorite class of instrument are strings (Guitar, Violin/Mandolin) and I know some of the basics of Piano and Drums.

I finally decided to learn how to build and use a DAW and I'm piecing together the basics, starting with a Lexicon Alpha I picked-up on sale.

I've been learning how to use finale notepad and plan on using it as my primary means of writing music. What I'm still trying to figure out is the various software options available to me, not to mention figuring how to get midi files to play on the DAW software (I'm looking at both CuBase 5LE which case with the Alpha, and Reaper).

Here's to hoping I can figure this stuff out.

Hey everyone. I'm Phil. I've been a huge fan of this site since I heard about it back in 2009 and I've finally decided to get my feet wet and expand my knowledge.

I'm currently a student studying music. I'd like to one day become a music teacher and pass on what I know to others.

I'm a pretty decent Bassist and Clarinetist. I'm currently working on improving my skills in Electric Bass and have started to work on other instruments; I'm still trying to learn how to use the editing software.

Look forward to working with you all!

Hey guys, I'm new here. I've been wanting to contribute some tracks to OC for years now, and I'm finally in a position to make it all happen. Hope the big bosses like my first effort 8)
Hey, all.

Been a fan of OCremix since it showed up in Game Informer several years back.

I'm a beginning amateur musician who's long term goal is music composition. My favorite class of instrument are strings (Guitar, Violin/Mandolin) and I know some of the basics of Piano and Drums.

I finally decided to learn how to build and use a DAW and I'm piecing together the basics, starting with a Lexicon Alpha I picked-up on sale.

I've been learning how to use finale notepad and plan on using it as my primary means of writing music. What I'm still trying to figure out is the various software options available to me, not to mention figuring how to get midi files to play on the DAW software (I'm looking at both CuBase 5LE which case with the Alpha, and Reaper).

Here's to hoping I can figure this stuff out.

I remember that edition of Game Informer! I probably wouldn't have found OCR without it.
Hey everyone. I'm Phil. I've been a huge fan of this site since I heard about it back in 2009 and I've finally decided to get my feet wet and expand my knowledge.

I'm currently a student studying music. I'd like to one day become a music teacher and pass on what I know to others.

I'm a pretty decent Bassist and Clarinetist. I'm currently working on improving my skills in Electric Bass and have started to work on other instruments; I'm still trying to learn how to use the editing software.

Look forward to working with you all!

Welcome, all three of you, to the OverClocked Remix forums! I hope you enjoy your stay here.

If you are ever needing feedback on anything you are working on (music-wise), go ahead and post in the Workshop forums.

See you around!

Anorax

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I've lurked around on this site a little bit, not really sure if it was for me or not -- I play the cello and make instrumental arrangements of video game music, but I'm terrible at the electronic side of things. At any rate, thought maybe I'd come out of my shell and say hello...you people seem so nice and helpful so I thought maybe I should share some of my stuff here after all. :)

Hi there,

I've lurked around on this site a little bit, not really sure if it was for me or not -- I play the cello and make instrumental arrangements of video game music, but I'm terrible at the electronic side of things. At any rate, thought maybe I'd come out of my shell and say hello...you people seem so nice and helpful so I thought maybe I should share some of my stuff here after all. :)

I love the cello. :-D

Welcome to the community!

Hi there,

marvelous idea! I think you'll get a lot of people wanting to collab and this is the perfect place to come to improve your production skills - it's where i learn most of what i know! So enjoy yourself, be active and you're bound to come on leaps and bounds.

Welcome.

Hi there,

thNemoBubble.gif

welcome to the OCR forums! While it is true there are a lot of electronic musicians around, there's always a need for more organic instruments like your cello. See you around!

Hi, everybody.

I've been hearing remixes here for years now, and I figured it was time to try my hand at it. I look forward to getting to know the community here, and most of all, gaining as much experience in not only remix-making, but in music overall.

Thanks for welcoming me here, and I'll see you all around.

Greetings to all,

For the moment I will introduce myself as Zanquino. Nice to meet you all. I’ve visited and enjoyed the OCR remixes since around the time “Summoning of Spirits” album project was released so that would be late 2008 early 2009.

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate everyone involved in one way or another. The site is amazing, very organized and clean. I am amazed at the quality of the work and it makes me really happy to see a group of individuals come together help each other create this amazing remixes and share it with the world.

I have zero experience remixing or playing any kind of instrument so what is my skill? I would have to say organizing stuff (I’m not a control freak lol). I love to take disorder and find ways to organize them in the most effective way. How can this be used to contribute to such an amazing community. Only time will tell.

Favorite game of all time - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

I think all that is left to say is see you around.

-Zanquino

Edited by Zanquino E.S.

Greetings to all,

For the moment I will introduce myself as Zanquino. Nice to meet you all. I’ve visited and enjoyed the OCR remixes since around the time “Summoning of Spirits” album project was released so that would be late 2008 early 2009.

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate everyone involved in one way or another. The site is amazing, very organized and clean. I am amazed at the quality of the work and it makes me really happy to see a group of individuals come together help each other create this amazing remixes and share it with the world.

I have zero experience remixing or playing any kind of instrument so what is my skill? I would have to say organizing stuff (I’m not a control freak lol). I love to take disorder and find ways to organize them in the most effective way. How can this be used to contribute to such an amazing community. Only time will tell.

Favorite game of all time - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

I think all that is left to say is see you around.

-Zanquino

Welcome Zanquino. HOpe you enjoy your stay.

BTW Mario rpg is AWESOME! I own it in real and play it at least 1 time per year. Too nostalgic!

Welcome Zanquino. HOpe you enjoy your stay.

BTW Mario rpg is AWESOME! I own it in real and play it at least 1 time per year. Too nostalgic!

Thank you Rockos, appreciated.

Regarding Mario RPG, I also own an original cartridge but I have not had the chance to play it this year lol. Another game I love to play at least once a year is Megaman X. Megaman X is another one of my all-time favorites.

My favorite tracks from Mario RPG are:

• Let's Do The Fooka-Fooka!
  • You And Toadofski Create...
  • Welcome To Bukki (Booster) Tower
  • Fight Against Kajidoh (Smithy)

And of course the greatest (imo) video game intro of all time Happy Adventure, Delightful Adventure!