The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

Heya. This is ProtoWhistle, a reference to MM's ProtoMan and his whistle/whistle song. So in case I haven't made it clear:

I am a big MegaMan fan.

Now that we have that little detail out of the way, a bit about myself. Music isn't necessarily my first passion or my field of study, but I took two years of piano lessons when I was younger and really liked it. Since then, on multiple occasions, I've tried to motivate myself to get back into the game, and I'm here to try and do just that: get back into the music game.

As for my first passion, that falls under software/programming. Coinciding with that, I am a bit of a hobbyist game designer. I also enjoy the sketching and some pixel art... yeah, kind of a theme going here, isn't it? But again, the art and music stuff came before I started into game design, so it's all just sort of come together. Whether or not I stay a one-man game design army in the future is yet to be seen. Its more hobbyist right now than anything, what with other obligations and what have you.

But I've learned if you want something enough, you just have to go for it.

Now onto the music. Most of my OCR library is--guess what?--MegaMan remixes. Some of my favorites are "Flash Fire" by A_Rival and "Pull the Plug" by WillRock. However, part of the reason I wanted to start up here is because I sought out some specific themes for remixes and found NONE. What's up with that 8-O? Well, instead of having a whining parade about it, I figured I might just have to try my hand at filling in some of these gaps.

Currently, I'm working on a MM3 Spark Man remix (one of those missing themes). It's... definitely a WIP. I'm still trying to get the hang of things. Some others missing themes I'm interested in bringing to the table:

• MM4's Bright Man
  • MM6's Tomahawk Man (My favorite Robot Master theme)
  • MM9's Jewel Man
  • MM9's Galaxy Man

I think that just about wraps it up. Hopefully you'll all be seeing me around in the near future!

Hello! My name is AzureHedgehog, I have been a visitor to OC Remix (a "lurker" you should say) for years, geez since 2001 I think.

Here I am decided to join the forums now to start a serious project in making remixes and sending them in, I think I have the courage to do it now.

By the way, you guys may remember me from a certain Sonic Stadium Message board........(I am the same AzureHedgehog there).

I hope I can provide good quality sounds for your ear's emotional pleasures.

Oh and i'd love to see what other people are remixing too and am happy to give feedback. I'm not mean. Don't worry about that.

I love Sonic, Mario, and a whole bunch of video games including the old stuff, and new stuff, anything in between.

I also love to support the video game music industry and purchase music CDs online all the time every few weeks for my own enjoyment and collection that I love to use and build.

Edited by AzureHedgehog

Introductions? Well, let's see...

I like video games. I also like the music therein. Recently, I decided there was no good reason for me not to get my hands dirty and play with the music myself.

Even more recently, I learned that I need to learn a lot before I can do that with any degree of success. In due time, I will gather the courage to post some of my slop and hopefully improve in the process. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

It's great to see so many here interested in making and ReMixing game music. I hope to do more in the future. Plus, I've had this Sonic and MegaMan tune I'd like to do in my head since almost forever. If any of you have any music posted on Soundcloud (or other site) please share. I have some of my work posted on Soundcloud (SupaKoolEnt).

Keep up the great work everyone!

~Harold Jr(DoT)

Hello my name is Iullus, I study audio engineering and was always passionate about music, in the last couple of months (or has it been a year? Time slips by me easily) I started getting into video game soundtracks.

Started with the Mass Effect 3 OST, which is still some of the most beautiful music ever made, and since I made music before (with my metal band), and since I dabbled in a bit of electronic music, I though why not try my hand at remixing? It can't hurt, on the contrary it can only help me with my studies.

And thus here I am.

Might as well make an introductory post. So, hello OCR community!

I'm amazed that it took me until 2013 to discover this site's existence. One of my favorite things in the world is the history contained within music. I don't mean the history of music in a general sense (although that does interest me) -- rather, I mean seeing ideas and concepts re-imagined in new music, passed on like a tangible piece of history. It's a beautiful thing, and that's what OCR is all about! I've been lurking ever since I found the place this summer, not so much in the forums, but browsing through the artists and music.

I'm an amateur sax and piano player. Among the sax family, the baritone is my true love, though I also play the alto and tenor. I'm still new to DAWs, but I've spent the last few months really learning my way around FL Studio. Recently, my primary focus has been on improving my Piano skills, particularly my technical skill, ability to play by ear, and my repertoire. This is largely because I don't have the equipment to do quality recording for the sax -- hooking up a midi cable to one of my keyboards is much simpler!

I hope to make a submission soon!

Hiya everyone! I wanted to join in after a few years of lurking around. I actually registered back in February but never properly introduced myself here :razz:. Better late than never, I guess!

About me:

My name is HenkkaStorm. I've been playing and making music since I was twelve years old (I'm 23 now). I started on the electric guitar because I was a huge fan of Finnish heavy metal bands. I played guitar for about 8 years and then switched to bass, mainly because every band I played needed a bass player and I was having a serious lack of motivation towards guitar. Nowadays I'm studying music and music technology in the city of Pori in western Finland. I aim to be a working musician and I'm interested in many areas in the professional field. Currently I play in several bands, spanning from progressive metal to Top40-pop covers, and give bass lessons.

I have played video games since I was 5 and it's pretty much been my only hobby ever since. I am mainly a Nintendo guy through and through but I do own a PS2 along with game series like Final Fantasy, Spyro etc. I hope that someday I could work in the video game industry as a part of my professional career, preferably as a composer/sound designer.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it is only appropriate for the first post to be in an introduction thread.

Name here is DaceX, long-time lurker on this fabulous site. After years listening to the tracks here i finally decide to register, to talk about what has become my main source of music. And although i´m not a musician myself, maybe, just maybe, is this first step to gain the knowledge and courage to start a mix of my own.

´Till then, i just have to say: Hello OCR-Community, it is a pleasure to finally meet you.

Hi guys! Im overmanson from spain, and i registered here because i love the music and videogames. Im newbie in this web, but the remixes of here are amazing. I tryed remix mi first song for this web, and is here, for listen or download. If you do, please comment what you think. Its a version of the most famous song of super mario, my favourite game :)

Link of the post is here:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45387

Cya guys :razz:

Hi guys :)

My name's Laurent, nicknamed "Lzn02".

I'm from France.

IRL, I'm a Sound Designer, and I spend a lot of my time making game-remixes.

My huge thanks to the guys on the IRC channel that helped me a lot with my registration problems ! :razz:

Take care,

• 3 weeks later...

Although I am very new to the OCremix Forums, I've been a dedicated listener for many many years now.

I started producing/covering music at the age of 12 with a small arsenal of cheap guitars & pedals. (now 22) I am a producer of all sorts of genres, and I too was inspired by video games to begin writing music at a young age. More importantly, I finally decided to jump on here and give the OCremix community a shot after reading some of the Directors' & Artists' comments on the Temporal Duality release a few days ago. The one note that really pulled at my heartstrings was this one from Matt Keller (SuperiorX):

"The Sonic the Hedgehog series has always been very special to me. Growing up, my family had an NES, but when it came time for the next generation, we decided to get a Sega Genesis. The bundled game was, of course, the original Sonic the Hedgehog. From that moment on, I was hooked. I have many fond memories playing those games, especially Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and 3, with my family, and watching the cheesy 90's Saturday morning Sonic cartoons. I remember going through the sound test menus just scrolling through all the original tunes, because they were just so much fun and so addicting to listen to. One birthday, I received a little Yamaha keyboard and was so excited to try to learn and play the Sonic soundtracks myself."

This is literally my word-for-word story as well (but replace the Yamaha keys, with a Dean 6-string electric)

Reading these comments really made me feel like I might have a lot in common with some of the producers here, and also like I may be able to find some incredible projects to join in as well. I've always felt like OCremix was a bit out of my league, but I refuse to accept that anymore; I believe that I can contribute greatly to this fantastic family of VG music enthusiasts, and one day I hope to impress and entertain you all :)

Hey guys, new here but not new to remixing music. I'm not a pro by any means and I still make noobish mistakes, but I came across this site and I was like wow, these guys clearly know what they are doing. I'm a little intimidated, but I hope to make new friends and learn some additional tricks of the trade.

I do have a soundcloud a youtube page and would love some constructive criticism.

Hey, name's Connie - Been a fan of the OC stuff for a long, long time now, while also eagerly awaiting the artists' takes on certain titles, which have unfortunately just never came to fruition. So, several friends and fans suggested I join and spearhead the projects myself, or at least propose them, annnnnnnnd here I am.

This is just a quick message to say hello and give my acknowledgement and gratitude to all involved, but I'll be sure to post in depth regarding what I have in mind, soon.

I'm also genuinely looking forward to meeting new folks and just having fun with music again, too, while also hoping my vast, moderately successful experience and talents will be of some use!

Talk Soon~

Yo! Long-time listener, new poster, yadda yadda yadda. At one time I might have claimed to have more Chrono Trigger remixes than anyone else in the world, but I've more or less moved on since then. I rarely come to OC Remix these days, but still listen to my favorites regularly.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably about time I said "Hi" . . .

Been a long time listener, probably since somewhere in 2004 or so? I was first introduced to OCR by people on the Powertab forum I used to frequent and was instantly hooked

One of these days I'd like to try my hand at contributing, but for now I'm just lurking around the forum and checking out the mixes that have posted since I last popped in a couple years ago. Glad to see the site is still alive and kicking! :-D

Hi, everyone.

I'm glad to be here with all of you fine people. I've been playing guitar since around 1975, so right away, that separates me from the herd age-wise (haha). Especially when you consider that growing up, VGM was sorely missing from games like Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Pong.

My wife, Chimpazilla, is an amazing musician and her enthusiasm for OCR, along with her mad remixing skills, has inspired me to try my hand at VGM remixing as well. Needless to say, the house is filled with VGM, and I've grown to love it! In a lot of ways, mixing my styles and influences with VGM is probably going to be like some bizarre science experiment that I am really looking forward to!

I'm proud to be a member of OCR, and I hope to collaborate and create some cool remixes - with a lot of help from the experts.

Hi, everyone.

I'm glad to be here with all of you fine people. I've been playing guitar since around 1975, so right away, that separates me from the herd age-wise (haha). Especially when you consider that growing up, VGM was sorely missing from games like Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Pong.

My wife, Chimpazilla, is an amazing musician and her enthusiasm for OCR, along with her mad remixing skills, has inspired me to try my hand at VGM remixing as well. Needless to say, the house is filled with VGM, and I've grown to love it! In a lot of ways, mixing my styles and influences with VGM is probably going to be like some bizarre science experiment that I am really looking forward to!

I'm proud to be a member of OCR, and I hope to collaborate and create some cool remixes - with a lot of help from the experts.

Nice to meet you. Enjoy your stay. I'm sure your wife already said we are great ;)

Hey Everybody!

I am Steve, I've had Controllers and Gameboys in my hands pretty much since I was able to pick things up. I've been playing Guitar from about the age of 13, And It's Been Six years since I first picked up a Guitar.

Anyway, My love for Video game soundtracks Originally stemmed from Junichi Masuda And Nobou Uematsu, From There I started Listening very closely to every game I played.

But now I've Moved onto covering (In mostly Rock or Power Metal) Video Game songs. I only really have access to fruityloops, Live recordings are troublesome due to lack of equipment, But I look forward to Being Part of the OCR community!