The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

Hello, i'm Carlos, a Digital Artist (You can see my artworks here: http://vanleith.deviantart.com ) and i've been listening to OCRemix since long ago.

I'm a complete beginner in music, but i really want to learn and i've always enjoyed videogame OSTs, they're so inspiring!

One of my dreams is to make a videogame on my own someday, so in order to be one step closer i want to learn how to make videogame music! (Plus, there are tons of existing game tracks that i'm dying to remix :D ) Where can i start learning as a total newbie? If anyone knows where should i start feel free to PM me!

I want to learn how to make Orchestral stuff like in "Soul Calibur 2" and "Final Fantasy Tactics Advance" OSTs, but a cool style like in "Capcom vs SNK 2" would be awesome too!

Among my favorite composers are: Hitoshi Sakimoto, Jun Ishikawa, Ayako Saso, Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda, Kouhei Tanaka and many more.

Anyways, nice to meet you everyone! i hope we can be friends :)

Hello, everyone!

I'm Dizzyman572, fun fact about this name is that it closely relates to the video game character: Dizzy from Gears of War 2 & 3. But my username was invented way before I had even heard of Gears of War let alone encounter the character. When I realized the correlation I decided to play Dizzy on multiplayer whenever I played as the COG.

I heard about your website when I watched the Youtube series Extra Remix. I love the music that gets created here and I felt like I could help participate in this community by offering my support and encouragement.

Yo, I'm Filidecht (pronounced feh-lay-uct) and I'm a fairly seasoned composer, musician, singer and producer, but I'm new to the fold here.

They say a joke is the best way to break this ice, so here you go:

https://soundcloud.com/filidecht/green-greens-donklandmix

Looking forward to meeting new folks and getting some genuine feedback, so feel free to get in touch!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My name is Johnathan. I go by blasianFMA online. I attended the OCR panel today at Pax East 2015. I went because I wanted to know more about OCR. I've known about OCR for a very long time (since it started, I believe), but never really dug deeper into the community aspect. I have always wanted to arrange video game music and even try my hand at composition, but I have friends who do it (some here at OCR) and see the tools they have and say "gosh, that's a lot."

After today's panel, I was assured that not everyone needs to be a Derek Oren, and my hope was renewed. I came to register and found that I already had a username, so here's hoping to me sticking to it and producing something great.

PS, I played Street Fighter 1 and won some stuff. I told everyone my name was Ken, but that was a lie.

Hey all!

I've been listening for many.... many years (I'd say on and off since 2005) and I'd never registered on the forums before. I gotta say, when someone mentioned ya'll again, my heart skipped and I thought- MAN I miss that place. So happy to have found my way back, and looking forward to being around a lot more ^_^

Heeello! I'm Alejandro

I have always known about this page and also browsed it maaany times but never got to register or anything! I'm glad I did, I'm truly looking forward to meeting VGM fans like me around here! :)

I'm a sound engineering student and I do VGM remixes in my spare time, if anyone has questions about recording, I'd gladly help you out!

www.youtube.com/user/alez15666

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

My name is Gian but I go by Just Coffee mostly anywhere online. I've always heard songs from ocremix featured on youtube channels like Extra Credits and Totalbiscuit. Some of the tracks I don't resonate with because I'm not familiar with the original game. But the ones that I do recognize are simply stellar. Reimagining old video game themes has always fascinated me and I want to become a better songwriter for it.

I've often lurked as an outsider here in the past but finally got the courage to register and get into the community in order to meet people with similar passions, better my chosen craft, and hopefully make it my life to create music.

Thank you for having me and I look forward to being a part of the community.

P.S.

I wasn't sure if it was customary to leave a link to stuff you've done before as a first post. But here's a link to what I've made in the past in case anyone's interested:

https://soundcloud.com/justcoffee

Hi OCRers,

Having heard about OCR from a number of sources I decided I'd give OCRing a go. I'm fairly experienced with making experimental stuff, (though isn't all music to some degree experimental?) so would like to bring some elements of that here. Things like elements of ambiance and/or glitch for example. Nothing too "out there" but some levels of uncertainty and weirdness can be quite a beautiful thing. We'll see how it goes I guess.

I made a biography on my profile that gives a bit more info so please feel free to check that out.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Hi OCRers,

Having heard about OCR from a number of sources I decided I'd give OCRing a go. I'm fairly experienced with making experimental stuff, (though isn't all music to some degree experimental?) so would like to bring some elements of that here. Things like elements of ambiance and/or glitch for example. Nothing too "out there" but some levels of uncertainty and weirdness can be quite a beautiful thing. We'll see how it goes I guess.

I made a biography on my profile that gives a bit more info so please feel free to check that out.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Given that you like experimental music, I wonder what your thoughts are on the latest remix on the front page (http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR03109). Leave a review, let Redg know what you think. Welcome to OCR.

Hello, just wanted to say hi very quickly :lol:

I've been following OCR for a few years now and finally decided to become active here myself. Hopefully, I will be able to post my first remix in the next months. Though I've been playing the piano for a long time, I never really tried to compose something, but I think I'm ready to give it a try. :D

• 3 weeks later...

What's good!? I'm Swamp and I've been following the OCR crew for a few years now. I love transposing VG music and listening to the various types of remixes here. Music (and video games) bring people together, and I'm proud to play a part in the community. I'm looking forward to talking w/ everyone. #Swag

Greeting all!

Here to say hi and am super excited to start making music with you all. 

Ill just start by expressing some of my favorite game composer influences:

Nobuo Uematsu 

Hiroki Kikuta

Yasunori Mitsuda

Koji Kondo

David Wise

Love these guys so much and have been so inspirational. 

Still trying to figure out how to get into a competition so any help is welcome. I will utilize the many forums which will most likely provide the answers for me. Lets get shpongled!

Howdy! Been lurking for well over a year; time to come out of the shadows.

Been a musician for 8ish years, mostly writing my own tunes. I've been touring off and on with some friends since August 2013, and quit my day job to have freedom to pursue more tours and develop games. Art, for me, is a tool to connect with others in important ways that normal life does not allow.

Ah, yes, video game music. I only have two personal creations worth showing at this point in time:

-Took my first crack at arrangement recently (Green Greens, soft piano style) for a dear one's first short film. I'd like to revisit it compositionally, as well as add in more instruments and perhaps make it a bit longer. It was a fun challenge to work on a song that needed to fit a context, and certainly something I'm looking for more of.

-I collaborated with one of my best friends on a LSDJ tune for A.N.N.E's Kickstarter music contest. We won first place.

My top 3 game composers:

-Disasterpeace (favorite musician of all time, really)

-Kenji Yamamoto (of Metroid fame)

-Daisuke Amaya (Cave Story)

I have great admiration for a large number of composers from the NES and SNES/Genesis eras, like many here.

I would say who my favorite remixers are around these parts, but most of them have only contributed once!

Looking forward to connecting with folks. If anyone is planning on attending the Power of Play conference coming up here in just under 3 weeks, let's hi-five or something!

I hope to learn the flow of the forums, it's been a few years since I've tried to be a part of any online communities.

Oh yeah, I 106%'d Super Meat Boy and have a Metroid tattoo.

Edited by falloneus

Hello!

My name is Daniel and I'm new in OC ReMix. I have heard of this community a lot of times and I even have a couple of albums in my computer but until now I was afraid of doing an account and saying hello. I put myself together and managed to write here this message :)

Hello to everyone!

A little bit about myself:

I studied in the conservatory a little bit of classical music but then left it because I had to study for university. Then I started to compose my own videogame themes using a DAW. It was a lot of fun so I started to do it more often. I like snes music a lot and I'm trying to find the best way to emulate doing some music to it. I also like nes chiptune and I try to do some famitracker tunes with it. I compose for more orchestral things using sonar or mulab.

If you want to take a look at what I've done I'll put a link in my profile. 

Thanks for reading!

• 2 weeks later...

Heyo!

I'm Alex, and I'm an OC Noob living in NYC for the past decade, making my way as a musician. Like most here at OC, I grew up with VG soundtracks resonating in my brain, influencing and shaping my creative output. I've been so busy working on other people's music for a living these days, that I finally buckled down and started building up my home studio in Brooklyn in order to start focusing on making original music (and remixing my favorite compositions, in my own style). I make my way as a bassist, but I've always wanted to make 'organic' electronic music. 

Besides the 8-bit mania, I grew up listening to everything from Frank Zappa to Air, Leonard Bernstein to Flaming Lips, The Flecktones to Nirvana...obviously I ain't a fan of genre. However, I do often approach my own stuff from a bass-influenced place.

I'm hard pressed to think of a game composer that I don't love...even the less memorable ones are still great. But of course Uematsu is an inspiration, and modern crushers like Danny Baranowsky are the real deal.

I've been wanting to join the OC community for a while now. I'll put some inane personal details on my profile if you're feeling stalk-y, and I'll be posting a Secret of Mana (Slow Mana Burn ReMix) song that I just wrapped up into the Workshop asap. Looking forward to jumping into the mix and meeting you mad scientists; let's hang!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! My name is Juan. Have a couple of remixes here since 2001 as 'visions of the future' and it's nice to be back! I was amazed by how people got 'passionate' about the pieces I have done. YES they are short, by the time i got a pentium with 2gb of hd and NO MEMORY AT ALL, no m-audio, no nothing, and still was able to do some stuff on fruity loops. But now i'm a bit well equiped ;-)

here they are:

Valis Remix - http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00532

Secret of Mana Remix - http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00557

Nice to meet you all...again! 

Oi Mates!

My name is Andrew and I’ve been working on a number of video game remixes since December of 2014. I grew up playing video games starting from Snes and Sega eras to now, so video game music is etched into my soul.

In my studio, I play guitar, bass, and drums to create remixes of video games tunes in different genres, such as Funk, Bossa Nova, Surf Rock etc.

I joined the OC community to find other musicians and check out their work. I love hearing different peoples versions of classic video game songs. I also want to share my work with you guys and will be doing that in the proper way in the forum.

If you want to see some of my work, just search up “130Grit” on Youtube and you’ll find me.

Hope to meet some cool musicians here!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Daniel. I'm another music fanatic and musician that loves playing video games. I've known about this website for a while, but because of a little bit of social anxiety, I've procrastinated in creating a profile or posting. Figured I may as well suck it up and do it, since I really would like to get feedback and critiques on some stuff I've put together. 

I'm primarily a trombonist (bass and tenor), though I also play bass guitar, bagpipes, and some other stuff. Unfortunately, I lack recording equipment at the moment, so anything I've made that I may post is done solely in Logic Pro. I'm also pretty new to this manner of music making (with synths and DAWs and stuff), hence why I finally joined instead of lurking for eternity. 

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Given that you like experimental music, I wonder what your thoughts are on the latest remix on the front page (http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR03109). Leave a review, let Redg know what you think. Welcome to OCR.

Hey cheers for the reply and welcome.  Sorry I've taken so long to check the thread.  I'll take a listen for sure, possibly this evening after work.

Hi,

I'm a huge lurker and have been active in other parts of the video game music community.  I'm looking to improve my remixing and production skills with all of your great feedback.  I've been listening to music from here since 1999, and think I'm finally brave / mature enough to try to get a song on here, haha.

You might know me as the keyboardist from Arc Impulse.

Nice to meet you all!