The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

Hi everyone,

I've been a fan of the site and downloading music for at least 15 years. I've even met a few of you at MAGFEST a couple years back! This is a great community.

Now that I have some more time for music, I'm hoping to try and contribute some content back to the site.

Cheers and I look forward to working with everyone!

-JackOfAllBards/GuitarJoe

Edited by JackOfAllBards
Signature

• 2 months later...

Hello, my name is Billy, my artist name is Terra Genesis and I am a producer/composer/performer trying to put my modern day spin in 16 bit era video game music(specifically Sega Genesis but I do have a lot of PS1 era influence strewn about since I love RPGs).  Glad to be a part of this community now and I just submitted my first remix to OC today(fingers crossed it gets accepted).  What is everyone’s favorite JRPG of all time?    Mine is a tie between FF9 and Chrono Trigger.  

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Terra Genesis said:

Hello, my name is Billy, my artist name is Terra Genesis and I am a producer/composer/performer trying to put my modern day spin in 16 bit era video game music(specifically Sega Genesis but I do have a lot of PS1 era influence strewn about since I love RPGs).  Glad to be a part of this community now and I just submitted my first remix to OC today(fingers crossed it gets accepted).  What is everyone’s favorite JRPG of all time?    Mine is a tie between FF9 and Chrono Trigger.  

Cheers!

Welcome. Don't eat any food anyone here offers to you.

I be on that SEGA Genesis time as well, but on a different level.

Hear, here:

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/923416

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/923901

Both SEGA Genesis music.

On 4/7/2020 at 3:51 PM, Seth Skoda said:

Welcome. Don't eat any food anyone here offers to you.

I be on that SEGA Genesis time as well, but on a different level.

Hear, here:

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/923416

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/923901

Both SEGA Genesis music.

Yooooo that shit is dope.  I can tell you and I will be friends here.  

https://soundcloud.com/terragenesis32x

you can find some of my tracks here.  Mostly remixes with a couple of originals that will be on my album I’m finishing right now.  

cheers buddy!

Also, are these done with the Genesis/megadrive sound chip?  Been wanting to get the tools to do that for a minute so I can play sounds from the actual console for my live sets.

9 hours ago, Terra Genesis said:

Also, are these done with the Genesis/megadrive sound chip?  Been wanting to get the tools to do that for a minute so I can play sounds from the actual console for my live sets.

Thank you very much for the replies.

Actually, it's as close to the sound chip as one can possibly get in any DAW. If you're interested in doing this, RYM2612 is what I use for the FM sounds. Plogue's chipsounds plugin serves for the SN76489 (PSG) channels, so long as you set it to the 3.58MHz mode. Both are paid plugins, but imo both worth it. Especially RYM2612. AlyJamesLab's SN76489 plugin may be a viable alternative, as it costs much less.

Here are the links to that stuff:

https://www.inphonik.com/products/rym2612-iconic-fm-synthesizer/

https://www.plogue.com/products/chipsounds.html

https://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabsuperpsg.html

Edit: wait, if you do get RYM2612, there's an excellent free tool on Inphonik's website called RYMCast. It's a VGM player that also serves as an instrument ripper. If you look up games here on OC ReMix, you can also find VGM/VGZ packs (those are midi-like files that store the sound chip info as well). I've downloaded several, and I load them (individual .vgm or .vgz files) into RYMCast to rip instruments into RYM2612. That's how I made a track using only the sounds from the Death Egg Zone music from Sonic & Knuckles. It can also be used to rip instruments for Deflemask, but if you're not at all familiar with tracker software, don't bother with Deflemask.

Also, one last note on RYM2612: your DAW software must support sidechaining/audio routing if you want to use RYM2612 to crush drum samples.

I'm gonna have to make a tutorial for this, aren't I?

Edited by Seth Skoda
Almost forgot something important!

6 hours ago, Seth Skoda said:

Thank you very much for the replies.

Actually, it's as close to the sound chip as one can possibly get in any DAW. If you're interested in doing this, RYM2612 is what I use for the FM sounds. Plogue's chipsounds plugin serves for the SN76489 (PSG) channels, so long as you set it to the 3.58MHz mode. Both are paid plugins, but imo both worth it. Especially RYM2612. AlyJamesLab's SN76489 plugin may be a viable alternative, as it costs much less.

Here are the links to that stuff:

https://www.inphonik.com/products/rym2612-iconic-fm-synthesizer/

https://www.plogue.com/products/chipsounds.html

https://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabsuperpsg.html

Edit: wait, if you do get RYM2612, there's an excellent free tool on Inphonik's website called RYMCast. It's a VGM player that also serves as an instrument ripper. If you look up games here on OC ReMix, you can also find VGM/VGZ packs (those are midi-like files that store the sound chip info as well). I've downloaded several, and I load them (individual .vgm or .vgz files) into RYMCast to rip instruments into RYM2612. That's how I made a track using only the sounds from the Death Egg Zone music from Sonic & Knuckles. It can also be used to rip instruments for Deflemask, but if you're not at all familiar with tracker software, don't bother with Deflemask.

Also, one last note on RYM2612: your DAW software must support sidechaining/audio routing if you want to use RYM2612 to crush drum samples.

I'm gonna have to make a tutorial for this, aren't I?

Hell yes!  

I’m probably gonna pick up the RYM2612 because based on the sound examples and what you made with it it is worth the price and will help me achieve some of those sought after genesis tones that my current synths and plugins can only kind of get.  I can get some nice Genesis esque tones from my Volca FM but it is very limited in its capability being that its bascially a toy and has limited midi I/O options.  Thanks for sharing all the info and if you do make a tutorial on this subject make sure to tag me in it so I can find it easily cuz I’d totally watch it.  

Cheers!

1 minute ago, Terra Genesis said:

Hell yes!  

I’m probably gonna pick up the RYM2612 because based on the sound examples and what you made with it it is worth the price and will help me achieve some of those sought after genesis tones that my current synths and plugins can only kind of get.  I can get some nice Genesis esque tones from my Volca FM but it is very limited in its capability being that its bascially a toy and has limited midi I/O options.  Thanks for sharing all the info and if you do make a tutorial on this subject make sure to tag me in it so I can find it easily cuz I’d totally watch it.  

Cheers!

Hey, just a quick note, if you use Reason, you can get RYM2612 as actual hardware. I suppose you would need a MIDI keyboard to use it, though.

Inphonik (the developer) is very attentive to user feedback and questions, if you have any. They're based in France, keep that in mind as far as time zones go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've been listening to music from OC Remix since the early 2000's.  I've never considered recording anything nor contributing new tracks to the community.  But, the recent stay-at-home orders have given me much more time to record music.

I've been playing in cover/garage/basement bands for a while.  I mostly play lead guitar but I also help fill-in with rhythm and electric bass.

I'm working on a few covers and remixes.  They are obviously going to be guitar heavy since that's what I know and can play :)

-Rob

Hiya!  I'm Nikki.

I've entered on and off at Dwelling of Duels for years now under a couple of older names along with this one, but I've only lurked this place minimally, and I felt like trying to do something or other on here too, so here we are.

I mostly just compose, arrange, and play guitar on my own time.

You can find my long, extremely mixed-bag of a history of vgm arrange stuff and original works on my Youtube.  That is a thing.

So yeah, hi!

• 1 month later...

Hi ! I'm Starson

I have discorvered this place through youtube and one of the remix posted there :)

I make music of different sorts, anything that would align with the mood. However I tend to never finish my songs as I run out of ideas. I thought being a part of this community would push me a little bit more in a good way and share with you guys but also discover some awesome tunes too ! 

Anyway nice to meet you all ! ^_^

6 hours ago, Starson said:

Hi ! I'm Starson

I have discorvered this place through youtube and one of the remix posted there :)

I make music of different sorts, anything that would align with the mood. However I tend to never finish my songs as I run out of ideas. I thought being a part of this community would push me a little bit more in a good way and share with you guys but also discover some awesome tunes too ! 

Anyway nice to meet you all ! ^_^

Welcome Starson!

Finishing songs can be difficult, I know this too well. I'm sure you'll find some useful support here. Don't get discouraged if you don't get any responses to posted works right away. It can take a while and sometimes people don't know what to say.  It helps to ask specific people for feedback. I'd say browse around on the feedback forum and see who you think has the insights you need.

• 2 months later...

Hey, I'm Michael and have been coming to ocremix since around 2003, just never made an account as I have no idea how to make music.  Instead, I make videos or photoshop pictures.  Seriously, as a kid and growing up, I thought I was the ONLY person who liked video game music, even recording if off the tv to a tape player to listen to later.  I was that nerd before it was cool to be a nerd.  Figured I should make an account here as I have a cool video announcement on Saturday regarding Chrono Trigger and its true American Birthday, which is actually August 22.  So if anyone even reads this, stay tuned.

Hi everyone!,

My name is my username, but I have decided to call myself G3 as a musician.

I recently opened a YouTube channel where I mostly upload covers (arrangements I call them, but the point is not to change the original material too much) of video game music, mainly focusing on those from the early 2000s and earlier, although my plan is to test myself to improve constantly according to the experience I acquire, so wherever there is music from a video game that attracts me, I will be there.

I've always been a bit of a fan of the unconventional, so my chosen tracks will probably appeal to fewer people than usual, but I have faith in myself and my project to go as far as I can.

Here is a link to my channel so that you can give me your comments, since here you will be used to this type of material:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvXwhgLdOkLoYskMe45W_QQ

I thank you in advance for your time. I hope to learn a lot here. Thank you :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

(Wow, I'm extremely nervous ...and shy, haha!)

To make things simple outside my username / artist moniker, just call me Angel. I've lurked around the OCRemix sphere for, jeez...years, I'd figure. Had my first taste way back around mid-2006 or so, from an old ex-friend who was heavily into it. I don't know if some of the OGs are still around, but I definitely remember two of my firsts I've heard from here was "Ace of Space" by Beatdrop and "The Scarlet Halls of Night" by The Wingless (I'm a big Guardian Legend nerd)--been hooked ever since! Been raised on games since a child, been raised for a passionate love of music and art since a child...only made sense at some point to combine the two things, but up until now I've been too scared to try.

Like many here, I want / plan to improve my knowledge and experience in composing music, and (hopefully) at some stage have them featured here. I am totally new to creating music from scratch, on my own, but am not new to playing music or experiencing the process of it from start to finish. I'm a fan of many genres, and love to work within and outside "conventions" in any one of them!

Hope to make new friends and learn a lot by mingling here. Feel free to message me for any pointers or guide me to workshops, (I have no idea where to start!)

o/ Have a good one guys, and look forward to the future here!

• 1 month later...

Hi. 

I'm Cristian. I'm from Chile. 

This is the first time I visit this site, and when I knew it has its own forums, I don't hesitated to register. 

I have a very good ear in identifying and remembering music, which also includes videogame music. The reason I wanted to register, is because I'm looking for a remixed version of a theme from the original Sonic The Hedgehog. I know the original theme it is being remixed, it's just even knowing the original theme, I still can't find it, and I've trying finding everywhere: Spotify, YouTube, SoundCloud. Hope I can find some help here finding it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello OCR Community,

I'm a long time visitor to the site. The music your members have remixed over the years has gotten me through some tough times. I was raised on gaming music, and have a sizeable collection of the soundtracks, which eventually led me here. I personally want to say thanks to each of you who have contributed anything to this site, and I look forward to seeing what else you come up with in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello OC Remix! I've been a long time listener here and there (a lurker), but I haven't chosen to interact on the forums until now. My real first name is Marianne. Anyone reading my post may also call me Kitty or SFJ (short for my artist name I've given myself off the top of my head ages ago; SilverFox Jams).

I'm not new to instrumental making or remixing. I've been into music making since summer of 2003. I've first done a handful of original tracks through an older version of Acid Pro. I accomplished my first ever remix on Acid in 2014, but sadly it's not exactly a game remix, lol. I found out early on that Beatdrop's mix of the Mortal Kombat Techno Syndrome was moved to archives, and remixes like that or similar in which weren't directly from a game soundtrack were no longer welcome. So, I moved on and tried hard to make my first gaming remix, of the boss theme from Darius Twin; a 1991 SNES game tune. Although, it didn't turn out as good as I had originally hoped. I knew that "Killer Hijia" (my crazy and overboard attempt of remixing the boss theme from the game) wasn't OC Remix worthy, not long after I completed and read some good constructive reviews on Newgrounds. Although my brand new Darius Twin remix/remake is much better;  the music for the planet stage Narukini! Yesterday, I filled out the submission form in good detail via email. Now all I do is wait. ^.^ 

Some of my favorite remixers who have contributed their talents on this community have been bLiNd, posu yan, The Wingless (the "Godspeed" StarFox Corneria remix is an epic classic), and Ailsean.

...I don't remember how I first discovered OC Remix so long ago, but I've known about the community since I was a teenager. Now I'm in my mid-30's--and I don't feel old yet. xD  I've noticed there's a Discord server. I'll join when I'm ready. I'll change my display nickname there to SilverFox Jams when I arrive.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! 

I'm a long-time listener by association: my wife has been a huge fan of OCR for a long time. I've loved game music since my first NES back in 1989. Big fan of all things Zelda, Uematsu's Final Fantasy scores, and the earlier Castlevanias.

I'm a full time professional classical musician: I'm the assistant principal (french)horn player in the San Diego Symphony. We are mostly a classical music institution, but we're also the orchestra for San Diego Opera, and we do a huge outdoor summer pops season on the waterfront right next to the San Diego convention center. So, I've had some really fun opportunities to play things like Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses, Video Games Live, and best of all, the Final Fantasy shows, Distant Worlds & Final Symphony.

Since my orchestra is mostly sidelined because of covid, I've been making "virtual performance" horn ensemble videos for the last several months. This week, I dusted off an old arrangement I did of the prelude from Castlevania III, so I figured it might be time to come introduce myself here... https://youtu.be/mU8aIW8unXk

Cheers!

• 4 months later...

Hello! Long time fan, first time forum poster. Been listening and downloading a lot more remixes from here lately, so I have figured to make an account to properly thank the artists! I have had an amazing experience so far throughout the years and I'm glad to see OCRemix staying strong.

• 3 months later...

hi everyone, i’m colorado weeks! “colorado” is fine too, but my government name isn’t, unless i know why you know it.😨 i’m an amateur song making person based in not-so-scenic new jersey.

i’ve been following ocremix fairly casually since i was a kid in the mid 00’s, but never really got around to joining until now. (or maybe i had at some point, but i’ve no idea what sort of handle i might have used!) though i’ve dabbled in some musical stuff as a kid, (choir, orchestra, a summer of oboe i still treasure despite never picking it up again) i’ve never really gotten down to making my own music and remixes until fairly recently. i entered a couple of compos this summer for the heck of it, and needless to say i got hooked!

on the personal side of things, i have a (currently) one-year-old child that i’m simultaneously proud of and perplexed by, i yell at computers to do my bidding for a living, and i’m currently pursuing an online  masters degree in computer science at ASU! if you have any pointers (pun unintentional) let me know! i need all the help i can get. 😰

it’s really inspiring to see what everyone’s working on and it’s fun to know that there are also other people who are really into this stuff too! i’m so glad to finally join this community, and i’m really looking forward to meeting all of you!

3 hours ago, colorado weeks said:

hi everyone, i’m colorado weeks! “colorado” is fine too, but my government name isn’t, unless i know why you know it.😨 i’m an amateur song making person based in not-so-scenic new jersey.

i’ve been following ocremix fairly casually since i was a kid in the mid 00’s, but never really got around to joining until now. (or maybe i had at some point, but i’ve no idea what sort of handle i might have used!) though i’ve dabbled in some musical stuff as a kid, (choir, orchestra, a summer of oboe i still treasure despite never picking it up again) i’ve never really gotten down to making my own music and remixes until fairly recently. i entered a couple of compos this summer for the heck of it, and needless to say i got hooked!

on the personal side of things, i have a (currently) one-year-old child that i’m simultaneously proud of and perplexed by, i yell at computers to do my bidding for a living, and i’m currently pursuing an online  masters degree in computer science at ASU! if you have any pointers (pun unintentional) let me know! i need all the help i can get. 😰

it’s really inspiring to see what everyone’s working on and it’s fun to know that there are also other people who are really into this stuff too! i’m so glad to finally join this community, and i’m really looking forward to meeting all of you!

*waves* :3 👋

Hello everyone, I'm Damian and I'm super excited to join this community! I happened to find out about OC Remix on Youtube many years ago, when I first listened the Fire Cross Final Fantasy OC Remix by Luiza and the Purple Heart OC Remix by goat. They were actually some of the first songs that inspired me to want to play guitar and make video game music arrangements.

I was finally able to afford an 8-string electric guitar almost one year ago, and have been learning to play alongside learning music theory to be able to understand why I feel so moved when listening to certain music. My next goals (music-wise) are to cover some of my favorite songs and to turn some ideas into full songs. My favorite bands in recent years have been Animals as Leaders, Avenged Sevenfold and ALI PROJECT.

Video games I've been playing lately and have been amazed by the OSTs are Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, Nier Replicant Remastered, and Atelier Ayesha.

Besides being involved in music, I love to read (all kinds of genres, but mainly history, philosophy, and economics). I also love playing hide and seek with my cat Ophilia. 😊

I'm still very new to navigating around this site, but it looks like there's so much content to look into and explore! Thanks for having me and I am looking forward to meeting you all over time! 😁

• 1 month later...

Hi, OCRemix community. Long time fan but first time account holder. 

MUSIC INSPIRES

I have zero classical music/composition training, but love the power of the orchestra. Nostalgia plus that modernized 'epic' feeling is magically motivating. 

Why OCRemix?

Despite having soundcloud and youtube accounts, I don't have a music community connection in my life. As music is a big part of what makes me happy, I thought I should fix this. Don't know why it took so long to recall this community, but alas here I am. Hoping I'm not too late and OCRemix is still going strong.

Where is my stuff?

I go by CalloftheJay for music stuff. Unique so it's easy to google it. I submitted my remix of Operation Europe Attack Theme recently!

Hoping OCRemix moderators and community like my material to encourage me to do more!

Cheers,

CalloftheJay

Edited by CalloftheJay
Add signature

• 4 months later...

Hey, everyone TwilightMajora here and I just want to tell you a little about myself. I am not well known on the internet but I do mess around with music and such my proof, if you must know, is on an old Soundcloud I have if you would like to hear a tad message me so I can give a link. Moving on from that I like many have been a gamer all my life and would love to make remixes of VGM pretty soon but given the current money situation I can not do so but I am working on it. That being said I hope to have a great time here and meet some very creative and nice folks.