The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

Hello everybody! My mom used to use this site a lot back around 2007-2008 (we're big fans of zircon's work), and today I decided to finally make an account in light of a new remix project I'm working on, where I'll be remixing a bunch of K.K. Slider songs. I just submitted the first remix to OCR, but it'll probably be a while before it shows up, so you can listen to it here:

Let me know what you think! Also, I make music that isn't remixes here: http://larrynachos.newgrounds.com/

Hope I don't get banned for spamming on the first day :grin: See you guys around!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm S.A.A.

I don't make music, but I love listening to it. I can't believe I only found out about OC ReMix a few months ago given its overall great quality. I stumbled upon it when I wanted to listen to Skytown Elysia Ost in Metroid Prime Corruption. Entropic Dream and Yellow Valkyrie were my gateways into this amazing community.

I've been gaming since I was 4, I'm 19 now. I grew up with Nintendo, especially Super Smash Bros, Super Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, and Metroid, and later got into Halo and many other genres. I love Action, Adventure, Arena Shooters, and Sandbox Games. As much as I love RPGs, I tend to stray from them as they are very time consuming and can be very grindy.  I have over a hundred hours in Skyrim and still haven't finished the main story-line cause I get distracted too easily... I'm not sure if I'll be playing that game anytime soon.

As for the music I listen to:

1. Rock from bands like Thrice

2. Occasionally exceptional (IMO) music from animes like from Steins;Gate, ChäoS;HEAd, and Code Geass

3. Video Game Music, especially from Metroid, Halo, and The Legend of Zelda.

4. Remixes - I love alternate takes on music. One thing I love about OC Remix, is that most remixes here aren't simply updated modern versions of a set piece, they are a different take or a different perspective of said piece, adding variety, and making each track quite unique from one another. My best example of this are the multiple remixes of Torvus Bog (Torvus Clockwork, Bogged Down, and Deep Torvus). Same melody, completely different track, different mood, setting, etc.

5. Etc. - If it clicks, I picks.

I know I'm not the best I can be, but I try to be. If I do something negative so to speak, please respectfully let me know.

I'll finish this by saying: Thanks for everything. I really appreciate the artists that put their time and effort into making music and help grow the community, and the community that backs them.

Hi guys, Trent here.

I've been a longtime lurker on this site (probably dating back to the time Project Chaos was released! I'm pretty sure the first song I ever heard from this website was housethegrate's 'Walk on Water), and I figured it's time to make myself a part of the community after seeing that FF8 is getting a makeover :) (not that I'll be a part of it unfortunately).

I've been trying to talk myself into getting into my producing and mixing chops again after a few years away from music, so last year decided to buy myself a new trumpet (used to play in orchestra/brass band) after starting study in an audio engineering course, and after feedback from various tutors/teachers after getting my marks back from first term and submitting my own songs and mixes, have gotten the motivation to get involved and (hopefully) get some rearrangements submitted in the future!

There are so many extremely talented and passionate people on this website, and I'm hoping to get to know everyone better in the future.

Here's to VGM!

Hey, new here. Been writing my own music for a while, heavily influenced by many different styles of music. A big goal of mine is to get into the world of game scoring professionally. Was pointed here by some friends as a good place to work on music and meet some like minded people. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I'm mainly an electric guitar playing and I like to play and make energetic sounding music so I've set myself a challenge of making surf rock versions of whatever songs I think would sound good with them. I've dabbled in the past with doing so but up until last December or so, I hadn't composed anything serious but since then, I've made a few demos and am in the process of learning how to produce better so that I can submit them here and hopefully make it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello -

I've visited this site for several years, originally listening to remixes from The Legend of Zelda Series. I have downloaded quite a few albums over that time, some of which are from game I haven't even heard of prior, such as the Armored Core album (which is a favorite of mine). Video game music is such terrific inspiration for me, whither while I'm building with Lego Bionicle, reading, walking/biking, playing on the piano, sharing with family, and, more recently, aiding in writing my own music. I am a member of my church's choir, which has exposed me to even more genres and types of music. I've even been blessed in participating in a performance of Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 with a 100+ choir and 70-piece orchestra!

For a career, I wish to write for film and video games in any particular field, and have recently graduated with an Associates in Songwriting/Arranging at Sacramento City Community College, and will be working on a Bachelor of Arts in Music-starting in the Fall-at Sacramento State University. Right now, as I work on Night Crew at Smart and Final, I'm taking a class on Pro Tools, just so as to get more familiar with DAW's outside of Reaper. More and more each day, I am realizing that if I want to be a music maker, I will need to carve out my own path, whether it be in school and meeting new people, or in learning more about software and composition through tutorials and practice.

This new realization is actually why I've finally decided to be more dedicated to this site: it really is a way to both learn the craft, share my own works, meet other members, and take notice of the fact that there are people who do enjoy building each other up and discuss music. I recently started up a new Soundcloud, and I wish to upload both remixes and explorations/experiments (which usually go hand in hand, as I'm finding out) in music.

As I mentioned earlier, I build with Bionicle as one of my hobbies, and while I don't post nearly as much on my Deviantart, I have uploaded many models onto Brickshelf. I also attend an annual convention, Bricks by the Bay, where I am the Bionicle Theme Coordinator.

Video games are another pastime of mine, and I've played a wide variety of games, from Nintendo's classics to Team Fortress 2 (the only shooter I like playing :P) to the Borderlands Series.

Battleborn looks awesome, by the way, and you should pre-order it, I already did.

Oh yes, one last thing: I'll be getting married to my lovely Fiancée Jo this June, and I cannot wait to share the rest of my life with her. Thank you Jesus for showing me someone who enjoys games like I do. :P

I hope to see you around, and thank you for providing people with such wonderful music throughout the years.

Greetings!

Mike (That Headband Guy) here. Very new to the VGM community in general, albeit being a fan since as long as I can remember. I'm a guitar player of 15 years and I've taught for 7 of those. After playing in many bands throughout the years (and fought with various personalities and egos), I've very recently ventured into working solely, uploading regular content via my re-branded YouTube channel (still in the infant stage), where I can finally share my passion for VGM...as well as your typical rock/metal et al covers. As like most people here (from what I've read on this particular page) I'd LOVE to work on a professional level! My nephew recommended this particular community as THE place to mingle with fellow enthusiasts! 

Cheers guys!

Mike - That Headband Guy ^_^

Hi, I'm Denzel. Always have been interested in making music and always felt video games and anime have alot untapped potential for good samples. Being the novice I am I thought I come to a forum with people who have some the same hobbies as myself and a chance to possibly learn something.

Hi everyone!

My name is Tim (aka. [QB]Tim or geotim90) and I thought it might finally be time to join this wonderful community after listening to OCR music for a number of years. I am based in Frankfurt, Germany and I play piano and keyboard in a church band about once a month. I grew up with Mario and Zelda on the N64 together with my younger brother and have loved video games (and their music) ever since. I've played around with electronic music production for a while (with FL Studio) but have never exceeded a hobbyists level of playing around with it. Nevertheless, I'm excited to see what the future holds.

God Bless,
Tim

Hello OCR!

My name is Glyphy, though I'm fine if you prefer derivative abbreviations of that (gliffy, gphy, gyf, etc). I have been a long time lurker and listener of many remixes from this site and I must say, they are impressive! I hope to be among your ranks of talented remixers.

I have been part of my local music scene (cover bands) for about 6 years now, playing electric bass (5-string). I am fluent playing guitar, bass, some drums, and just about any other instrument you hand me given a few minutes :-P I have experience writing (original and remixing/rearranging), composing, recording, orchestrating, etc. I have experience with trackers like Famitracker and Lsdj, and can learn other programs very quickly. Much of my learning has been from my dad, and he's been into doing music for about 30 years or longer.

I am now working on creating a remix album on my own (that I hope to get on OCR), which mixes 2 genres: cheeriness and sweet, with tense and neurotic. Most of the project has orchestral music (violin, trumpet, clarinet, etc.), for which I use Kontakt libraries. I plan to include actual recordings from myself (bass and guitar tracks), and maybe some vocals. I'll post updates here as I complete the project.

I hope to make friends, improve my music, as well as the music of others. :)

Hi everyone ! My name is Thomas and it's a long time that I follow OCRemix, but only recently I take the decision of partecipate actively.

I'm freaking shy and also I've got a lot of difficulties to talk to people, but the music it always permitted to connect to others. Recently the world of vg music captured me (more than usual) and I want to try me too. I'm not a great musician and I'm a total newbie in recording & mixing camp, but I will try my best !

I like a lot of different kind of music of all genres, however my idea is to do principal blues arrangement playing harmonica. Hope to make new friends and also to improve like musician and person.

p.s. don't blame me, I know that my english sucks.

Ohai beauty-butts!

Ihavenoideahowtoactuallydothingsandthusifeellikeanoobcake. And I think that went wrong somehow. Anyway! So yeah.. I just decided to jump in blindly as I do in real life as well, so consider this as my second post, as it is. I already managed to sneak in to "Post your remixes here" section before saying hi to anyone around here. Not the best way to join the party (don't try this in real life, it does no good to you).

Me? I'm just a video game hoarder who likes music and finnish weather. Also, I don't know what "sleep schedule" is. I live in GMT+2 timezone but my body lives in EST (or EDT during daylight saving) timezone for some reason.. At the age of ~32 it's not probably a good thing, if you have a full-time job. (Un)luckily, I'm unemployed. I sure do like to play games and listen to some decent music, sometimes even remix something.. "Remix" with my next-to-none skills.

Oh ye.. I also have a kid who just turned 10 like couple of days ago. She's something I can be proud of, if not my oh-so-impressive vgm and other remixes and video gaming skills.

Footnote: I also can use way too much time typing nothing while trying to focus on projects.

Hello everyone ^_^

I love listening to rainwave and have done that for quite some time.  I have also been lurking a slight bit lately.

Let's see, I have been exposed to music and its practice since memory serves, and have always appreciated its presence and usage in games as well.

I have fun playing the old boat music from EverQuest on the piano while whistling the top flute line...

I love OCR and am super happy that Patreon exists...

I work full time as a (non-game) software QA analyst and also try to keep my kitchen clean.  Between those and playing Trails in the Sky obsessively, it'll probably still be a while before I get any WIP or remix submissions for anything racked up here.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi :)

Hey, my name is Tyler a.k.a. WT_Neptune.

I mostly dabble in fighting game tournaments, but I am trying to drum up some general production skills. 

Some future goals are to create some good Youtube content maybe in the area of comedy, and to be able to make a coherent piece on here that is submittable. 

Programs I like so far are FL Studio and Adobe Premiere, but honestly I am at the beginning of my learning journey. Links to any helpful materials on different sound files and the differences would be greatly helpful if anyone has that handy.

My favorite submission on here so far is actually probably 'OC ReMix #2594: Final Fantasy 'Sentient Machines' [Floating Castle] by mithius & Brandon Strader' from the Random Encounter album.

Hello people!

I've been lurking here for a good few years, and now I'm starting to make my own music so I thought I might as well make an account here. I play guitar, and my preferred genre is rock/metal, although I don't limit myself to only that. I've been in a couple of non-videogame music projects, but I recently decided to pursue my own musical "career".

I'm a huge fan of Castlevania games and their music, I actually found out about this site through the awesome Castlevania remixes. I also like indie game soundtracks, like Shovel Knight and Crypt of the Necrodancer. I also ride a motorcycle (I wonder how many bikers are here :P).

I'm Shawn, currently 21 and sometimes wild but I am a nice guy. I like to listen to music (Anything will do for my ears, as long as it doesn't make me sleep or bored), play games and think of ideas for stuff. Hope to make some friends and learn about making music!

Hello!

I've been coming to OCR for remixes for years and years now. In more recent times, I've gotten interested in doing my own composing and remixing. So I guess it's about time I joined the site officially! I hope to submit my own remixes someday, so we'll see how that goes.

Hey everyone, my name is Kenny. I am a musician and aspiring producer and also happen to really like VGM. I just found out about this site yesterday with a random Google search but everyone here seems really cool. Hope to here a lot of everyone's music!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, uh, hi and stuff. As you see by my display name, I'm JK FlipFlop.

Where do I begin?

I'm not gonna get in with my personal business, it's irrelevant. I'll just say that I'm from Philly and I first heard about this site about 12 years ago. Instantly, I loved it. So many cool remixes of my favorite video game themes, especially joints from Mario, Sonic, Megaman and many others. And that list continues to expand ever so rapidly. An amazing website that I'm glad exists. Some people think I'm weird for listening to this music, but I really don't care. It's awesome to me.

And now more about me and what I do: For one, I'm a SEGA Genesis music fanatic and metalhead. I also make music. It's mostly chiptune music, but sometimes I'll make trap instrumentals as well. Not that I like trap, but I try to experiment with various genres.

If anyone wants to hear anything I made, go to Newgrounds and search the audio portal for SEGA Genesis. Most of the results will turn up stuff I made, since all of my chiptunes are SEGA Genesis music. A few original tracks, but mostly covers, including Undertale (I'm a sellout lol).

Well, that's all I got to say for now, but don't be afraid to ask me whatever you want to know.

13 hours ago, AgentXBR said:

Hello, my name is GTEX.
I'm brazilian guitarist.
I hope u like all my song versions.
I try to do my best with a good quality of record and clean notes.

Guitar? Awesome. If you ever wanna do some death metal type stuff, I can do vocals (and not just cookie monster growls).

And you say you record the best you can. Try plugging your guitar directly in the mic jack of your computer and use a virtual amp effect. It comes out very clean.