The Newbie Introduction Thread: Come on in and say hello!

Mahaboo

I'm Steve. Longtime OCR lurker. First MAGfest was 2015 and I've been supporting OC ReMix since then. Played drums in high school in a band called The Dying Breed. In the early 2000's era of Linkin Park, we played old school Metallica type stuff. At least, we tried to :P

Picked up FL Studio after watching some of Zircon's livestreams. When I have time and energy, and I don't let Overwatch consume my existence, I play with it a bit. But I've just been dabbling with it so far. My current job is too time consuming and I want to dedicate more time to music, so I'm looking for a less demanding job somewhere.

Favorite thing to do on the site currently is listen to older remixes and comment on them. I love VGM of all genres. Looking forward to meeting lots of cool people here. #VGM4LYFE

Also having a kitten that loves nothing more than to play with your computer cords makes it quite challenging. :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! I'm a Finnish musician who does heavy metal versions of (mostly) NES & SNES game songs. I released a music video on youtube a month ago (search sinfinian if you wish to see it) and I'll be sending some my versions to OCR judge panel shortly. Hopefully having some collaborations at some point. Good to meet you all!

Hi everybody. Found this site a few days ago and was quickly intrigued by the idea. After a few days of browsing I couldn't resist making an account.

So, more a music lover than a musician. I've made a few remixes but they're uh, better left unheard. There is really no way to describe them without sinking into the territory of expletives.

Uh, really not a lot to say about myself. Typically quiet and absent a lot, I'll probably lurk ninety percent of the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello. My real name is Patrick. Just recently got into the site. As you can tell from my name, I'm a huge fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. Other games I've come to enjoy are Fire Emblem, Undertale, DragonAge, and The Elder Scrolls Series. As for genres of music, I generally like everything. Been recently getting into a lot of the nosier side of it though, as I've been listening to a lot of Death Grips, Clipping, Street Sects, and Prurient. Not sure what the future will hold when it comes to submitting music but I hope to enjoy the ride!

• 1 month later...

HEY everyone! I'm Michael - I've actually been frequenting OC ReMix since the early 2000's and just never bothered to create an account until now! Was even considering remixing game music back then but somehow just never got around to it.

The MAGFest panels they held are what actually convinced me to join... can't wait to dive into the community here!
(Special thanks to DarkeSword who answered my questions on rhythm after the panel!)

I've been writing and playing music for most of my life; creating songs and such with DAWs since 2003 or so. Right now I'm hoping to break into the indie game industry through freelance composing.

Main influences are Dave Wise, Koji Kondo, Hard rock/metal (Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne with Randy Rhoads, etc.), and most recently Toby Fox thanks to his incredible soundtrack to Undertale.

Looking forward to interacting with you all!

Hello! I'm Noaxzl. I've been following OCRemix for a while now, but I don't think I really joined the community. I've been a musician for a while now, but I never really had the courage to join because I didn't think I was as good as the music I've been listening to for years.

It was actually the latest OCRemix panel at MAGFest that convinced me to finally post on the forums. More specifically, talking to Joe Zieja after the panel convinced me to post some of my work to the forum (I was the guy in the Fox McCloud costume). Especially after hearing that Soundcloud is about to go kaput, which is where I've kept my music portfolio for a while. And just to prove that I was the guy that Joe Zieja talked to: http://imgur.com/roFAg3f

I'll post my individual pieces to the forum at some point tomorrow. Until then, feel free to browse my soundcloud while it's still online.

A lot of it is original music, but I've also made a couple remixes in there. My favorite is the Pokemon Black/White Gym Leader "remix" that I made several years ago. Alas, I haven't had any time to write any music since working an IT support tech job and going back to school for a degree that can actually get me a job this time, so I'm incredibly rusty now. That said, I plan to start writing and playing music again this year. Hopefully, I'll be able to create stuff that's up to OCRemix standards.

I look forward to being part of this community!

-Noaxzl

[EDIT: Just realized that I actually made a post in this topic around five years ago. WHOOPSEEDOODLE!]

Edited by Noaxzl
Updated with new information

@Noaxzl Welcome! I recommend joining some competitions to work those skills back up. In addition to the bigger tournament compos that happen a couple of times a year, People's Remixing Compo and Meat 'n' Potatoes are constantly ongoing, and don't have a high bar for entry. You also get some nice feedback along with the votes! Check out the competitions forum!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm Harley, also known as MysticHarley. Despite how old my profile is I've never actually done anything here, and I hope to change that. I love OCR with all of my heart, and as part of my new year's resolution I'll be making a serious attempt to join or re-join the communities of works that I love, and OCR is no exception. I love music with a passion but I currently don't have the means (or money) to start making my own. I hope that I get the chance to be a part of the OCR community.

Hey guys, I'm Lars. I'm a high schooler in orchestra with some decent violin skills. I can also play the piano at a very novice level. I found out about OCR about six months ago and I really like the music you guys make. I love listening to VGM, especially Legend of Zelda and Xenoblade Chronicles X (which I'm currently playing the heck out of). I'd love to contribute, but I don't have much experience making music. Currently all I have at my disposal is a violin, a piano, some basic music theory, and whatever free DAW I get downloaded onto my computer. I really hope I can make some good remixes for the OCR community someday!

Edited by Darkflame Exeter
Had some words missing

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Happy to be making a post for introductions!  I've been a huge fan of ocremix for years, but haven't decided to jump into the community until recently.  I'm really interested in learning from other composers, and collaborating.  My composition heroes are Yoko Shimomura, Koji Kondo, and Nobuo Uematsu (just to name a few).  I've studied Western classical music for years (guitar and piano), and have always been deeply interested in our generation's relationship with electronic sounds (specifically, video game music).  I'm always down to chat or collaborate, if interested!

Hello! I am a huge videogame soundtrack fan... indeed, I've enjoyed it so much I've started composing myself. I am still learning a lot but so far I'm pretty decent at it, though my strong suit is definitely melody. My username is Terry93D. And, ah, that's it. Maybe I'll do remixes myself at some point...? 

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this thread. I have been meaning to post on the forum for a while. I am Kent Ward from Orlando. Liontamer knows me! I am a long time fan of OC Remix and video game music, I'm currently playing Final Fantasy V and working on a show that showcases the best of Orlando nerd music. I hope to be a part of the discussion here on OC Remix.

Hi. I've been putting off joining for like two three many years now. I'm Ben, I've done a bunch of original tracks and a lot of video game mixes or arrangements, and I go by the name sevenfortyfour or 744. I have downloaded roughly 60% of the content on this site (or so it feels at this point!) and have most of it in my regular playlist. I've been into game music since I was three years old, after having been introduced to Rad Racer on the NES and being fascinated at what a few oscillators can do. I have a couple bandcamp pages and am writing the soundtrack for an upcoming game called Iris Burning.

I don't really have a huge amount of instrument-playing skill (I played brass instruments, but haven't touched one for ten years at this point) but I've got an iMac and Logic Pro, an old M-Audio Oxygen keyboard and a set of ATH-M50s, and I can at least say I'm getting better at creating music. I also have the unique privilege of being able to run live music with a rock band on weekends with a lot of nice hardware including a couple of PreSonus 32AI boards. My faults are still abusing too many plugin presets and coming up with countermelodic lines and chord progressions but I'm getting a little better. Occasionally I use an Apple Loop, and I feel really guilty when that happens, but it's not that frequent anymore. :) 

Anyway, hello!

• 1 month later...

Hi all, Brynolf here! I have been playing around with game remixes for a while, but never joined this place for some reason. Seems like a really nifty community. I haven't created anything worthwhile in a few years, but now I'm trying to get my head back into it. I recently migrated from Cubase 3SL(!) to Reaper and my workflow has improved quite a bit. In the past I have kept to different kinds of electronic music, but I'm more and more opening up to different genres. 

My tube with my old stuff is here containing mostly drum&bass Mega man and Castlevania remixes.
https://www.youtube.com/user/brynolf11/videos

See ya'll at the barricades!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there! I was thinking about make some remixes so I registered here. You can call me ZeldaPirate, I'm a 20 years old guy fan of Zelda and Star Fox series. I don't know what else to say >^<. Oh! Yes, I have done some speedruns for speedruns comunity (like Star Fox Adventures, Phantom Hourglass or Twilight Princess) and I'm a Jigglypuff mainer in smash bros series :DD!

Excuse my English but I'm Spanish and I have some difficulties with the expression :D. So let's get down to business! I want to learn how to make remixes, It would be amazing to make Zelda or Star Fox remixes. The main problem is... that there are no tutorials on youtube :'( about how to make remixes. I'm only have FL studio but I don't know how to use it so please, can someone help me, can someone explain me how did you start, what videos did you see...? I would be very greateful. Thanks very much!!

1 hour ago, ZeldaPirate said:

Hey there! I was thinking about make some remixes so I registered here. You can call me ZeldaPirate, I'm a 20 years old guy fan of Zelda and Star Fox series. I don't know what else to say >^<. Oh! Yes, I have done some speedruns for speedruns comunity (like Star Fox Adventures, Phantom Hourglass or Twilight Princess) and I'm a Jigglypuff mainer in smash bros series :DD!

Excuse my English but I'm Spanish and I have some difficulties with the expression :D. So let's get down to business! I want to learn how to make remixes, It would be amazing to make Zelda or Star Fox remixes. The main problem is... that there are no tutorials on youtube :'( about how to make remixes. I'm only have FL studio but I don't know how to use it so please, can someone help me, can someone explain me how did you start, what videos did you see...? I would be very greateful. Thanks very much!!

Hello! I also use FL, so if you need anything, go ahead and PM me.

I also do Zelda and Star Fox stuff. 

Currently remaking tracks using soundfonts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody here at OC Remix!

Hi, I go by D-Ryl Mitchell, D-Ryl Vicious, Vicious, or "Vish" for short. I am looking for a place to where I can be free and accepted and it seems like OCRemix is the perfect fit for my two loves in life: Music and Video games. I am a 25 year old student with many interests and dreams of making a break into the music industry, game industry, or both. My aspiration is to become a professional record producer, or VGM composer, whichever comes my way first.

There is so much I could say but I do not know where to begin, although I have been involved with music and games for practically my whole life, I could never find where to fit in as far as trying to work towards my goals and aspirations. I have done music since about the age of 6 or 7, in my elementary school music program. I decided to join the school band a couple of years later and that's where that begins. I started of as a percussionist because I always wanted to play the drum set. I had done that throughout my whole primary and secondary educational career, but around the age of 13 I started to dabble around in beat making on the computer. I started out doing hip hop but the musician in me lead me to use a lot of experimental sounds. I keep an open mind so I appreciate listening to a number of different genres.

I also like playing games of course, because its fun like brain candy, hehe. Its like interactive movies and stories and other stuff. And I realized that the music in most games invoke emotions in me and keep me really engrossed and immersed in the game, like I'm actually apart of it.

Years down the line after I slacked through most of high school, I finally made it to college, a very confusing and rough start of another chapter of my life. "What do I want as a career?" A question I am asked time and time again. I initially wanted to do game design, but my community college did not have a transfer degree to go towards it. So I went with liberal arts, so I could be able to do something with Japanese. That is something I have been on and off studying for a couple of years now. I started in my junior and senior years in high school and I decided that would be the first language I want to learn. I mean that place is video game paradise.

Fast forward to now, Ive been trying to build an audience from my beat making, but to no avail, I do not know what I have been doing wrong for all these years but I could never find out why I could not build an authentic audience to my sound. I have just the passion to create and I would love to turn that into a living someday, but I don't know how, but I dream everyday and the love for music is what drives me. How ever me being a gamer I meet many other gamers and the community is great because theres all kinds of people you meet every where and you learn and interact with them and they are much more accepting than the hip hop community. So now I am combining my loves into one place, which is why I would like to produce music or compose music for games and/or moves. And I will be reinventing myself into a brand. I will promote myself as much and starting from scratch and work my way up.

This is kind of a lot but thanks to all who read my introduction, I guess I will update on when all my sites and pages and stuff are complete, and I will be learning how to make my way around here and to make myself known through here.

Thanks once again and have a great day!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I thought I'd say hi here, since I recently signed up. I've known this website for years and have loved much of the music people produced, especially of my old favorite video game tunes. OCremix has slipped out of my consciousness for some time, but recently popped back in when I listened to older remixes again.
I signed up because I've become a learner-musician myself (started playing piano in 2014) and figured sharing my own remixing efforts and getting feedback from experienced people would be helpful (I posted my first work-in-progress remix here: http://ocremix.org/community/topic/45828-volley-fire-gameboy-stage-a-stage-b-and-stage-select-with-a-touch-of-starfoxs-corneria ).

I can't promise to be super active on all the different forum sections because of health problems. I have to limit my computer time to avoid overloading my brain and causing headaches and problems sleeping (which in my case have unreasonably long consequences). Its a tough life, but I have to deal with it.

I've shared some of my personal history with music in the "About Me" tab on my profile page, if anyone is interested in that.

You have to take my signature as a bit of tongue-in-cheek. I was diagnosed with Asperger's (Autism Spectrum Disorder) about a year ago after years of struggling and finally burning out at work. Don't let the label scare you. We can have relatively normal conversations :) (not too good at small talk, and am usually not one to start a conversation though).

Okay, this is going to turn into a massive autobiography if I'm not careful, so I'll leave it at that for now. So..."hi!"

--RM

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys I'm Jon and well, I've been doing my own recording since around 2013 or so, and only recently someone has shown me this site and I almost forgot that I signed up here after that particular night.

I hail from the Sunshine State and I tend to do alot of "remaster" style remixes with gaming music, mainly going for the "what happens if we replace bit-sounds with real sounds", such as this piece:

However, I've done much more remix-level stuff, such as this, though it's quite old for me:

I have stuff planned to make in between my normal YouTube content and such, but hopefully I can pick up some new tricks and maybe even collab with someone. 

Hello! I'm Silverpool and after lurking the forums for a few months, I decided to actually post something. I'm 17 and I live in the Seattle area with my family and two cats.

I've loved video games my whole life and I'm a Sonic fanatic. I found OCR through Extra Credits a few months ago and was astounded to find a community of VGM nerds like me. :) As a VGM enthusiast, I'm just starting to learn to make ReMixes. I just purchased FL Studio and I'm ready to begin experimenting.

I've had a lot fun scrolling through the threads and getting to know some of you guys. I really like it here and am looking forward to making my own ReMixes soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

My name is Michael Anderson. I go by Mikey. I live in Galesburg, IL and I am a vocalist. I have been singing all my life.

I started singing when I was 8 years old. My parents heard me singing "Seasons in the sun" and urged me to take choir in school, so I did. I have worked hard trying to better my vocals and work on my piano playing. Years pass and I make it into All State Choir which is 1 in 100 in the state of Illinois. The year after that, I made it to Honor's Choir which is 1 in 50 in the state of Illinois! Even with all this great stuff happening to me, my family still treated my singing as a waste of time. The told me repeatedly that I would get nowhere with my dream. When I made it to senior year, I was still considered a junior because I was a half credit short. I still managed to graduate on time. After graduating high school, my Dad tells me that I wasted my entire school life on Music. So I, wanting to make him proud, stupidly gave it up for a while. Thanks to my wife telling me that my voice was incredible, I tried again and started doing song covers on YouTube. But, I lacked confidence so I never got anywhere with my music.

recently, I have been singing karaoke at a local bar in town and I went to try out for the Voice. No luck there either because I still lacked confidence. Now, thanks to my wife's younger brother digging the confidence out of me, I was able to get my first single "In the Mirror" complete and on Youtube and Soundcloud. I have my own music studio in my trailer. It's nothing big, but it gets the job done!

I also love anime! My favorite animes consist of

Ronin Warriors, Bleach, FMA, One Piece, SAO just to name a few. :)

I'm hoping to make some new friends and learn some things about music I didn't know about music.