Review wanted: Tetris Remix

DJ-Arthur

Hi everybody,

I'd like to submit this, but somehow I'm a bit concerned about using to much of the original source, as I sampled the original track from the Gameboy (And of course some sound effects)... I also used two Filtering Intro's, but they actually came out the way I wanted.

I thought this up when I was reminded of the time I kept humming and whistling this tune for days... Now that I'm done with this, my wife is cursing me for doing it all over again... :-o

Original Song: Tetris BGM Type A from the GameBoy System

Download: Tetris - Portable Annoyance (128kbs MP3)

Comments, anyone?

EDIT:

I just finished adding some new bars and a solo of some sort, straing a bit more from the source. Now why does it remind me of a Tom & Jerry videotape I watched when I was young...? Dunno, but it came out pretty nifty. I also made some major changes in the first minute or so, where the simple square just copied the source is now totally different, and at some point (1:04 to 1:29) there's this double transition. It sounds weird, and a bit unnatural, but that's intentional. The bassline is still the same though, and I just couldn't remove the humming part... A friend of mine said, and I quote: "That sounds so totally dorky that it's actually funny." Guess I'm the dork since it's my own voice... Sampled, but still... Anyways, listen to part II:

Download: Tetris - Portable Annoyance Mk2 (128kbs MP3)

Hope this is a bit more OC style :wink:

And as described in the update:

Download Tetris - Portable Annoyance Mk3 (128kbs MP3)

And now for Version 4:

Download Tetris - Portable Annoyance Mk4 (112kbs MP3)

The judges usually don't like if you sample the game directly too much, but you really only do that for the first thirty seconds. So it shouldn't be much of a problem but you never know.

Oh wait, yeah, it's back. But not for long.

And then HUMMING! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA XD. Sounds like something you'd find on OLR!

Anyways, that was all written as I listened to the song. So let me now start complaining. You're production is fine, the song sounds great. The samples are nice. The problem is the arrangement. It's pretty much the same as the source, except for bits and pieces after the humming. You'd need more parts like that. OR, you could add a solo or two. What you've got here is great, but I think you need some more soloing or parts that stray from the source.

As a good example of a mix that uses the source obviously, but still add original sections, I think I will refer you to chthonic's Linear Groove, which also is a tetris mix. Pay attention to the parts that remix specifically Korobeiniki. They use the source, and then they go into a little guitar interlude. Then it goes back to the type C song (or whatever it is) and they're still clearly remixing the type C song, but still adding their own grooviness and such. Now that was a terrible description, so you should just listen to the song and see what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying make you're song exactly like that, because what you have here is already cool and awesome. But you need more original parts and such if you want it on OCR. As it is, you would probably be able to get it on R:TS, if it were still updating. But for OCR, you need more varied arrangement.

Again, like my other review, I'm a big ol' nub with this, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Another good example is the recently posted Spinlock by aluminum. It goes places and stuff, but it's still clear where the source is. It's not too liberal, but it's not too conservative. It's just right.

Thanks alot guys, I'll try and add some groovy original stuff to it, to make it more different from the source material. Consider this a WIP now :wink: and of course, I'll keep this thread updated as I progress :-D

I listened to LinearGroove, and I see what you mean... I guess I've been making remakes for far too long XD...

My first request: Always post what you are using in your mix. Noobies really appreciate it and it helps people review your mix to be able to suggest what you can do with what you have or tell you to get better stuff :D and collaboration opportunities.

Hey, if you need better strings I'd love to do it for you. Sorry, that's the first thing that came to mind listening to this.

The mixing is pretty good, but the percussion can be improved. Since it sounds very sample-ish and at the same time not trance-ish, it's easy not to enjoy the percussion and what I mean by that is that the percussion doesn't stand out as a powerful element in the song, more of a small role of support. I would maybe even go all out trance percussion. This song might not need a clap though. In my experience trying to get percussion sound right in trance music is a very delicate process. You really have to pay attention.

If I were you I would find some good electronic music, probably DI.fm trance or chill station and see how they layer and really make the percussion stand out as a powerful element.

Overall I like it, it's very OCR-like and I don't understand how OCR can have it's own sound because everyone is their own artist.

A complaint and a compliment: While I enjoy the nintendo sound at the beginning, I think it would be good to add some effects to it around the part (before or/and after) the frequency fade-in. Will it be "YESed"? I have a feeling it wont because it lacks the professional sound that the OCR judges are probably looking for. Just keep composing. You don't need to take suggestions people give you for this composition, but you can use suggestions for future projects too.

I'm not saying make you're song exactly like that, because what you have here is already cool and awesome. But you need more original parts and such if you want it on OCR. As it is, you would probably be able to get it on R:TS, if it were still updating. But for OCR, you need more varied arrangement.

This is exactly the kind of culture we need to get rid of. The process of creating and conveying the emotions you want to convey is way more important that getting a mix on OCR. Do not desensitize yourself. I enjoy remixes most when it doesn't try to be original, but really keep the melodies while simply adapting the articulation and conveying the emotion stronger that the original. That's what it's all about IMO.

Don't worry about OCR, worry about what you need to compose.

This is exactly the kind of culture we need to get rid of. The process of creating and conveying the emotions you want to convey is way more important that getting a mix on OCR. Do not desensitize yourself. I enjoy remixes most when it doesn't try to be original, but really keep the melodies while simply adapting the articulation and conveying the emotion stronger that the original. That's what it's all about IMO.

Don't worry about OCR, worry about what you need to compose.

Yeah, he's got a point, sort of. Should've mentioned that.

While I imagine your goal is to get this on OCR, you shouldn't have to completely revamp and rebuild the track from the ground up to suit the judges needs should it get rejected. You shouldn't end up looking at the track and thinking "this isn't what I wanted to make, but if it'll make the judges happy..." What matters is if YOU'RE happy with the remix.

Of course, that doesn't mean that you should reject all constructive criticism. If someone says "hey, that section sounds kinda rigid/out of place/stinky", don't just yell "YEAH WELL IT'S MY SONG SO SHUT UP". Take the criticism and choose whether or not you want to act on it. It's all up to you.

Bottom line, it's YOUR mix, and you have the final say in what goes where.

My first request: Always post what you are using in your mix.

Hey, if you need better strings I'd love to do it for you. Sorry, that's the first thing that came to mind listening to this.

Well, If you got some samples to spare, I'd love to have them... All I got are these GM samples and shoved them into a sampler... With a bit of reverb to mask them of course, but, yeah, some orchestra and/or Live samples would be nice. Thanks ahead!

Anyways, I only use Orion Platinum for my remixing and/or track building, so I pretty much build up everything from scratch... I did sample the most rememberal FX's from the game though, using an Emulator's "Save Sound to WAV", and then cut them into the appropriate pieces using Nero's Wave Editor

Hope this is a bit more OC style :wink:

What I meant is: Though I'd like to "blend in", I never work on something, unless I like what I'm doing... That is, unless it's absolutely necesary. So I don't go posting stuff here if I don't like it myself, because, like, that would mean it could never be something I can be proud of making. And about the critisism and suggestions: I figured there's always room for improvement, so how is anyone supposed to figure out how to get better, if they don't try, right? So, yeah, some suggestions I tried got in, and others didn't...

On a more positive note: Made some minor arrangement adjustments, and a bit of adjustment on the synths like velocity changes, and some humanizing, and it's becoming more and more ready to add the "finishing touch"...

Ahhh... A Version3 WIP is online and ready!

Changes: Most of the Drum samples were replaced to add more spice and power to the overall feeling. A More trancy Bassdrum, the snare made place for a Clap, and the tambourine became a Hihat. I Also added some indian percussions to support the funny feeling in the humming section. Strings have also been changed completely, with thanks to Argitoth! Finally, some arrangement modifications to get some better sequencing and to prevent too much repetition. Nothing really major, but noticable. Particularly from about 4:00 I found the ending to be... just not enough, and now I believe it's more contributive to the feeling: "I wanna hear this again!"

Well... I pretty much believe this can be a potential Final version, but as always: I'd love to hear any opinions!

Download Portable Annoyance Mk3 (128kbs MP3)

Link will be in first post too :wink:

My biggest issue with it is that you stretched 30-40 seconds of source into almost five and a half minutes. It's still the same tempo as the original and doesn't really deviate from the source. So what you have here is a source melody repeated several times with different instruments, and although it sounds clean and you used decent samples, I guarantee you it will not pass the judging panel.

That said, I think you would benefit from stripping it down to the basics and reworking the melody to give it a different feel from the original. Look to Children of the Monkey Machine's depressing Bubble Bobble (Asphyxiation) remix for inspiration on how far you can deconstruct your source.

-steve

Legion303, you've got a point there... But, although I CAN make the song a different feel from the original, I just wanted to make this track to give a certain feeling of nostalgia, without messing up the original sense of it...

If you want an example of me giving a different feel to a source, try my Zero's Final Stand posted here, but this track is made just for "Old Times Sake" with maybe a tad of funnyness as how popular it became in an instant.

Anyways, this is almost done... Thanks for the comments and helping out, everyone!

If your song is not accepted on OCR then submit to http://remix.thasauce.net/ It's not an overlooked remix site, arrrite?

Comments: Nice implementation of the strings. I really hope you are changing your mix because you absolutely feel it's becoming better. Don't take opinions to please others (including mine), because you want to attract YOUR audience with your music, not the next guy's audience.

Definitely improving the mix though. I like the tabla, definitely has an original flavor while keeping the gamey feel of the original. Again though I don't like mixes that change the feel of the original.

Legion303, if this is what OCR has become then forget OCR. I bet you $100 that my remix would get accepted here even though I did my best not to change the original feel. WHY? Because it's a quality remix. You can say "change the feel of the original" all you want, but it comes down to quality. No matter how similar the original and the remix is, if the remix has quality I bet it'd pass. If it doesn't, that just shows how OCR is turning into something I don't want. I'm not submitting my remix here though. I'll submit it to R:TS

thread: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11063

Argi: I'm stating a reality, and that's how OCR has been from its inception. "Don't just take the melody and slap a drum beat over it" has been a mantra around here for a very long time.

I didn't say that means it's not a good remix or cover, just that it wouldn't be accepted. Per submission rules, arrangement counts for something like 40% of the consideration, I believe.

-steve

Uhmm... Thanks for the explanation...? Though this seems to be relevant to my ReMix here (And I'm in no position to direct anyone), if this discussion continues, would you people be kind enough to open a topic in the general section? 'Cause... yeah... I believe this is also in the FAQs somewhere...

-- Thank you

To Argitoth: If my final is finished, submitted, and rejected, then I'll see what I can do

About my progress: While I'm still happy-happy with the strings, I'm thinking a tad more rearrangement, adding a slow-tempo solo piece somewhere in the middle... I'm thinking of a MusicBox or an Acoustic Guitar, but I can't make up my mind... Suggestions?

Heheh... looks like I went ahead and chose for the Acoustic Guitar. (Actually, I couldn't get the musicbox to fit in ahahah) An a side note, my ReMix is now a whopping 6:54 long... I know, I SHOULD have cut out some portions here and there, but...

On another Sidenote: I've reduced the bitrate from 128 to 112kbs to keep the file under 6MB... Shouldn't be too noticable as I have a professional Conversion program here in the Studio's.

Anyways, here's Version 4

I'll post it in the first post too.

Well?

hahahaha, that humming gets me everytime.

So alright, I'm about halfway through the mix now, reading your post, it looks like this is gonna be a long one. My biggest fear is that this will be incredibly repetitive.

Okay, acoustic guitar sounds kind of fake but it's a nice change. You're using more or less the same synth pattern type things over them but just slowed down. And now the same drum pattern, looks like.

Speeding back up now. Acoustic guitar is gone.

Crazy bongo drums? Sweet.

Alright, again that was all in real time, so here we go with things.

This is a high quality track, there's no doubt about that. However there are definitely a few things the judges will pick on if you submit this. Because it's almost 7 minutes (!), it's a bit repetitive, like I said above. I know you can't bear to, but you may have to cut a few bars or sections out. Secondly, like the other guys said above, there's not much real arrangement or interpretation, it's mostly just the theme that's over and over and over again.

That said, I think this is an incredibly high quality track. I loves it, it's all quirky and stuff. While it may not be enough to impress them judges, but that does not change the fact that it is awesome.

ps: hahahah, I've had experience with trying to make music box solos. Not easy.