Sonic & Knuckles - Eggman's Masterplan

DJ-Arthur

Hey,

Actually, this was inspired by the mixes of the Chaos project, which I believe recently finished... I just kinda felt like doing this when I had a sea of free time at my hands, and my wife was nowhere to be found, eggcept at work that is heheh...

Anyways, this is a mix of the Act1 Boss, Act2 Boss, and the Final Boss, with a nice Overdriven Guitar as the main lead, and some synth strings to back it up. If you listen closely, you can also hear a kinda harpish sound, which is actually a heavily distorted musicbox. The Orchestra Hits?... well... I just love the Orchestra Hit sample I have, and use it a lot... Maybe too much... Maybe... Here's the link before I go off on a tangent:

Download: Sonic And Knuckles - Eggman's Masterplan (128kbs MP3)

Comments and/or other stuff welcome!

EDIT:

Version 2 WIP available: Download Version 2 (128kbs MP3)

Heh, that guitar reminds me of Mega Man X. Which is to say, it's badass, despite it's fakeyness.

Anyways. I'm kind of a nub at this whole remixing thing, too, so bear in mind I may not have any idea what I'm talking about.

I like the arrangement ideas. The mashup towards the end with the final boss and the rest of the songs was cool, but it felt kind of crazy with all of the stuff going on.

Also, I'm not really a fan of those synth strings. They are just bugging me. Maybe that's just me.

For me, my favorite part was when the final boss music started. But the guitar is sequenced very rigidly, as are the synth arpeggio things (again, is that what their called?). And really, the most of the final boss section feels quite rigid. Except that intro.

SO TO SUM UP: some better samples, better sequencing towards the end, a bit more polish, and you could have yourself a winner.

Again, I'm a huge noob to remixing. Bear that in mind.

Ah...

Due to some >insert random name-calling here< idiots at my Data center, my server was forced to bind with another IP address... It should be resolved now, as I am updating the links. I've tested this link and it's working again :wink: sorry for the inconvinience

Man... this is COOOOL!! You sure got a pomising first WIP.

(I'm also no remixer, and I hope I know what I'm saying)

The samples made it sound much like a vg, some more realistic would be welcome. Don't know if that was you intention.

Besides that, I guess you still need some custom compositions over this piece; currenty most of it is "copy and paste" of the sources.

Keep it up, please! :grin:

The Guitar is actually 2 samples from the GM Soundbank combined, with a little extra analog distortion, making it sound like the guitar samples from MegaMan X (Which I really liked)... As far as the strings, well, I just need a good set of samples, because all I have here is this really outdated Yamaha Keybord with a max Polyphonic of 8 voices... Can you believe it? Hahah, anyways, the customisation is underway, and when I Finish a new WIP, it'll be posted straigt up.

Hmm...I'm not an expert at music or anything, so I can't really say anything in the technical aspect. Overall though, it's sounding REALLY nice, however, the first tune sounds awfully like an MIDI of the same song on vgmusic. Nothing really wrong with that (unless you were the one that made it too haha), it's just something I've sorta heard the same thing already. Might wanna check it out >_<

Anyways, I'm not really a fan of how it sounds right now, preferably the quality of the sounds. Gosh I totally wish I knew mixer lingo >_<. I guess I'm saying I'd wish the synths sounded more realistic?

Okay, you know what, I'll stop trying and just say: this is a REALLY awesome piece of work and with some tuning up can possibly be my favorite mix of all time. Seriously, all the songs put together in this mix just sound so nice, but only if the sounds were of higher quality!

Attempt at two cents. >_<

SynthesizedStampede, I got what you're getting at, and indeed, Some samples are a bit "noisy"... I'm currently trying to change some instuments, and thus far it's not really going well... It's just not good enough yet for a version2 WIP, but I'm getting there... Slowly...

Anyways, I'm thinking of rearranging some parts, especially in the mash-up towards the Final Boss section, and maybe adding some instruments there... Hope to get a good Version2 soon

Well, I'm only 1 minute into it, and to start off I'll say that it sounds very much like a MIDI rip, with some segues into the next section. The orchestral hits are extremely cheesy and overused given the low quality. The drums lack punch, and throughout most of the song (now at 3:45) they can't be easily heard. The synths are indeed very noisy. Do some hardcore EQ'ing.

It is, however, a promising WIP, and I hope to hear an update.

Pfew... I'm finally done with some major instrument changes! The synth string is now filtered and EQ-ed, the musixbox is replaced with a more high plucked-string like sound, and some drum samples were replaced or tuned and panned... especially the Bassdrum. Made some mastering changes as in chanel volumes, and finally a small bit of arrangement work... Much of the melody remaines intact though, and I'm thinking of adding some instruments during the Final Boss section, and maybe even a second voice... For now, a Version 2 WIP is available for download, and the link is posted in the top post.