super colombine massacre RPG

whatfruit

Preach, brother Strike911, preach it!

So much passion, and aimed in the right direction, too! You don't see that much these days. :)

Really and truly, it's up to the developers to fix this problem. One of the most promising games of Slamdance, Toblo, tried to bow out of the competition in protest for SCMRPG, and unless more mainstream devs start making socially provocative games (and more of the money-gubbing publishers take a frickin' chance on it once in a while), the media and the rest of society will be forced to take not and give a little more respect.

--Jack Kieser

According to Jack Thompson, at least one school shooter (can't remember which incident; maybe the one in Montreal last fall?) has trained on Super Columbine Massacre RPG.

Always remember to bring a good supply of Potions and Antidotes with you to a school shooting, and check to see that you have equipped the latest magical pendants and rings for maximum stats.

Always remember to bring a good supply of Potions and Antidotes with you to a school shooting, and check to see that you have equipped the latest magical pendants and rings for maximum stats.

What about armor? You need to be protected, too; after all, when you walk into a school, you never know what nut is gonna have a gun...

--Jack Kieser

If it's fun, I'm all for it.

As far as respect for the dead goes, I have no particular feelings regarding that. The dead are dead. Something someone says, or a game someone makes, isn't going to hurt them.

On the other hand though, I guess it could be a little tricky given the concept of someone who would play said game, and be influenced by it to go out and perform a school shooting. I don't know how likely or not this is, but, wow, do we deprive intelligent people of harmless fun for fear that stupid, evil people will be misguided by it? Or do we take a possible risk by allowing it? Not that we have a choice whether to allow it or not, but...

I think more blame rests on the idiocy of said theoretical people who would potentially be influenced in such a way. If said game didn't exist, who's to say something else wouldn't convince them to shoot up a school?

I must admit, this possibility makes it a tough question, not morally/ethically, but pragmatically. But I think I will go with 'allow such games to exist,' Regis. Final answer.

I live in Colorado, I wasn't associated with the incident but a couple of my friends were. That being said I wouldn't mind the game that helped open the eyes of those that are ignorant to these instances of hate. People breed had into one another, it takes only one to take that hate and mold into something terrible.

Unlike most I believe their actions were justified in their own right, but I don't hold those two responsible, no no... I hold their parents responsible for being ignorant, stupid, f#$@ing parents.

Whatever it takes to open the eyes of these cattle like ingrates. They sicken me down the very core and I'll defend myself with words if I need to. It's the way I feel and no one here can reject that, they can just call it 'wrong'.

With the above said, /raise hand I support it. When people realize that if they watch they can help or even circumvent some horrible things, that'll be the day for sure.

I think it's pretty inappropriate considering how influential Columbine still is. Whether it's mocking it or not, it's still celebrating the hype and the act of Columbine.

I can appreciate the 'go against the media' message, but you don't need to bite the bait to do it.

Also, I don't see what the intent of the game has to do with anything. If you start sensationalizing it all, the more people would want to do it for publicity's sakes. Virginia Tech shooter was the same. Killers should not get more press than those who do actual good. We know those shootings happened. We don't need to keep it going around and 'discuss' it. What is there to discuss about a bunch of idiotic delinquents with guns? Think bullying is a problem? Well, no shit, we deal with it EVERY DAY.

And the WW2 discussion is not valid. At all. Because that was a war. Also the nukes and whatever military options there-in have served some purpose to help it come to an end, no matter how messy it got. Columbine and other school shootings are a civil affair. Whether the shooters did it because they felt repressed or did it for a 'cry for help' to the media, it doesn't matter. Societal plagues should be noted, then promptly ignored in my opinion. Don't give attention whores their due.

Yet people don't mind playing soldiers in stuff that repeats the WW2 events...

I think the difference would be playing a game depicting war events and battles verses playing a game being Heinrich Himmler going around to each of the concentration camps operating the gas chambers to kill of the Jews.

While I feel that there doesn't need to be as much violence in video games as there is, you can't quite put medal of honor and Super Columbine Massacre or whatever it is called on the same level.

By the way, I have not played the said Columbine Massacre game.

I think the difference would be playing a game depicting war events and battles verses playing a game being Heinrich Himmler going around to each of the concentration camps operating the gas chambers to kill of the Jews.

What people do not understand, is that context matters. To us, to Americans, playing the WW2 hero is fine and dandy. Hell, those who were actually saved by American forces would see it that way too. Predictably, Germany and Japan and Italy may get irked a bit at those games too. That is predictable. WW2, also in the game setting, is fairly neutered of its true nature. You don't see too much gibs or body parts or blood in those games. You shoot them, they fall down. There are no civilians, pets, women, children, concentration camps, politicians, etc etc etc.

While with school shootings, there is no real context. Not all nerds or recluse or socially incompetent has a clique to kill or oppose others. There is no political statement (what, bullying is political now?), and it's just a freak civilian incident. The various security issues surrounding are separate issues altogether, even if games or books or other sources may actually influence someone to do it. If a desperate or insane person gets hold of anything, then it can be received the wrong way. There isn't the calculated social engineering that goes into acts of war or even politically/religiously driven terrorism there.

Look at games like Gears of War, Halo or even something like Perfect Dark where the enemy is basically one huge alien conspiracy. No civilians on any of those either. Even in Deus Ex where there are civilians, you can't do much other than kill people in the most rudimentary ways. No real interaction other than the token screaming and falling down. And of course, the context is that it's some huge alien/robotic conspiracy in all these games.

You really can't play dumb with this issue and brush with a wide stroke. That's exactly what the token media types are into. Playing dumb to fight dumb comments don't cancel it out.

I think what you guys are forgetting is that, unlike WWII, with Columbine, we don't know the exact reason behind the events. I mean, yeah, the guys were crazy; we know that. But, as to what exactly MADE them crazy, people are (apparently) still out to lunch about it. Some people think its the games, some people think its the parenting, some people think it's society in general.

What this game serves to do is be a catalyst for the discussion. It presents a point: that the games are not to fault, like a lot of people still think, while also attempting to show that it has never been the games' fault that people are so violent. If it isn't discussed, then we'll never learn anything from it.

So yeah, it hurts, sure, to see the game; don't forget, though, that it IS serving a purpose, and a necessary one at that. Oh, and the creator itself said that it didn't glorify the shooters.

--Jack Kieser

I think what you guys are forgetting is that, unlike WWII, with Columbine, we don't know the exact reason behind the events. I mean, yeah, the guys were crazy; we know that. But, as to what exactly MADE them crazy, people are (apparently) still out to lunch about it. Some people think its the games, some people think its the parenting, some people think it's society in general.

If they are crazy, why does any other factors matter in a sane, sober manner? They don't. Parents can only do so much and you have to be really disillusioned to think that parents can really control every kid out there, especially if they're 'crazy'. Videogames can too. Insane people can get influenced by anything. Voices in head, mood swings, general sense of paranoia, etc. And if it truly is society's fault, then why don't we see hundreds of school shootings? Thousands? Millions? We don't. These are still pretty isolated incidents. Humanity has always had deranged individuals. We always have. Nothing new.

What this game serves to do is be a catalyst for the discussion. It presents a point: that the games are not to fault, like a lot of people still think

Again, who's to say that if the sensationalism doesn't lead to one or two? The vast majority of people would probably receive in a sane manner while the small minority would not. Catalyst for what exactly? That people can be crazy? That is not a real discussion.

I think what you guys are forgetting is that, unlike WWII, with Columbine, we don't know the exact reason behind the events.

The day after Columbine, a classmate who I had gone to school with since kindergarten asked me if I was going to shoot up the school, apparently because I owned a trench coat (tan, not black), played video games, and had a somewhat dark sense of humor.

For the record, my response was to ask "Do you want me to shoot up the school?" "Haha, no." "Then shut the fuck up, you stupid bitch." (Which had all the more impact because I was known as a fairly mild mannered guy who was rather averse to swearing.)

My point is... I don't even know what it is. Just something about the way people get labeled, the way that even people who have known you your whole life won't hesitate to slap some label on you.

Mmm... intentions aside, calling it "Super Colombine Massacre RPG" is probably the most inappropriate name you could have had for a project that is supposed to "open someone's eyes." It reeks of sensationalism, a nintendo-like (and thus kid-friendly) air, and general lack of taste.

Personally, I'd say free-speech, sure, go for it. But is it cool to attempt to push on people in indie game contests? Not really, no. It's a publicity stunt designed to ride on the controversy of the game to spark interest in it, and when you're intentionally attempting to use a controversial subject to push the popularity of your own product... you can take that.

I don't find it particularly strange that you'd play as the killers in this game, as that would be the most poignant viewpoint in a novel, movie, or other attempt at showing the situation. What I do find odd, however, is that I have not seen a novel or movie or any other production similar in message.

Furthermore, making an RPG Maker 2000 indie game is hitting the audience of: Gamers. This audience likely already knows enough about the subject of bullying in schools from first hand experience, or at the very least knows what it's like and how bad things are in our schools these days. Preaching to the choir here.

But yeah, badly named, concept is weak (like someone said earlier, these guys were screwed up, they picked up some guns and shot their school up. Examining the situation further would be a fine subject for a police investigation, but as an interactive experience created by a third party who likely knows only the facts that they want to include...) and the attention-whoring involved here generally put me off to the whole idea.

Next time, try doing it with taste.

I don't find it particularly strange that you'd play as the killers in this game, as that would be the most poignant viewpoint in a novel, movie, or other attempt at showing the situation. What I do find odd, however, is that I have not seen a novel or movie or any other production similar in message.

Elephant movie. But just the same, it was a shameless use of the Columbine incident. Almost as tasteless as this game idea. It's ironic since they aim to parody to work around such themes, and yet it comes off as sensationalistic without much of a rhythm or rhyme.

Furthermore, making an RPG Maker 2000 indie game is hitting the audience of: Gamers. This audience likely already knows enough about the subject of bullying in schools from first hand experience, or at the very least knows what it's like and how bad things are in our schools these days. Preaching to the choir here.

This is the real problem here. Just like anyone willing to categorize gamers as 'violent' or 'totally harmless' or any prescribed category, you're saying that they would know about getting bullied? Also, who hasn't been bullied once or twice in their lives? Kids bullying in schools is normal. It'd be strange if there weren't any.

Speaking of games that go against the whole 'games are violent' message, I'm OK is a better example that doesn't shamelessly exploit Columbine.

Hey people im back. Im so glad that the discusiion is so hot on this one, as this is something that I even find hard to stomach.

Ive been talking to some people that have played the game. They say that the first half of the game, is extremly good as it satires the media feeding frenzy a la "look at the children, look at the evil children" as you pick up items such as marlin manson CDs and play that wicked doom.

It tries to present Klebold and Harris not as victims, but more importantly as human beings. not as the carctuires that people have in their minds as deranged madmen. But as a pair of troubled people who made the CHOICE to do what they did. It does not justify their actions but presnts facts of how this came about and the ease of how they acquired these weapons.

The second part of the game (look away now people of a sensitive emotional disposition) you play as Klebold in Harris in hell fighting your way through hell to fight SATAN. I think thats a bit sick!

I hope to play this game in the near future to give it my opinion.

I apolgise for my poor writing skiills but am writing this quickly while at work.

"Im going to tear out your fiber optics with my bare hands!"