Adventure games of the good ol' days.

L.T.W.

Would Rebel Assault count as a DOS game? I always liked that one, and its sequel.

Nope. That's what you call a rail-shooter game (because you essentially move along a fixed mount as if on a monorail or something).

Not many people played The Dig. But it was an awesome adventure game. Truely under rated.

I mentioned it in a couple of my post. It ties with S&M Hit the Road for my number two Lucasarts spot, but in all honesty, it has probably the second best story line of any adventure game I have ever played. The King's Quest series (in it's entirety) would probably count for the best despite the simple fact that the games are great but not nearly as fun as, say, Full Throttle (which is a complete and total hoot if you ask me).

Lure of the Temptress if you're after a Broken Sword-esque game.

http://www.revolution.co.uk/_display.php?id=10

The company put it up themselves as a free download, happy days. Mac users have to use DOSBox to get it to work, whereas Windows should be able to play it direct. Haven't played it in AGES though, so I might have to download it next month as I'm running close to exceeding my bandwidth.

I miss Good ol King's Quest games. I think they even redid 1 and 2 if I'm not mistaken...

V, VI, and VII were pretty good too.

I believe those were fan remakes by AGD Interactive.

Yeah. That was AGD that did the VGA remakes of those two. I did mentioned it back here, but it probably wasn't very noticeable with all the clutter around it. They also started on a Quest for Glory II remake but unfortunately never finished it.

I remember once asking (or more like begging at the time) if they could do a remake of Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge since Sierra never made an updated VGA version of that particular episode of the series, but my many pleas went ignored despite the fact that many other people voiced the same request. Bummer.

:cry:

Yeah. That was AGD that did the VGA remakes of those two. I did mentioned it back here, but it probably wasn't very noticeable with all the clutter around it. They also started on a Quest for Glory II remake but unfortunately never finished it.

I've been watching them slowly update that since '03.

Apparently they moved into beta phase in January, but it's taking them so damn long it's not even funny any more.

Apparently they moved into beta phase in January, but it's taking them so damn long it's not even funny any more.

Personally, I just got tired of waiting and kinda dropped it altogether. It's sad when it looks so, so promising.

Hey guys

I found the CD-ROM of King's Quest VII. Would you recommend playing the games in order, or is it nothing-to-do with the previous games a la Final Fantasy?

VII was actually the first I played, and probably why it's my favourite too. There are related elements among the games, but not so many that it would stop you from enjoying or making any sense of it.

the journeyman project

Yes, yes, yes. We got that with our first PC. My bro and I played it to death and are huge fans of the series. We never were able to beat the second, but I think that one was my favorite. I'll have to see if I can find it on Ebay or something. Anyway, one of the things I loved about it was the fact that all the puzzles were integrated into the story. The way everything played out was much better than stumbling around confused. But alas, TJP could never make itself widely known with ol' Myst in the way.

The other day I beat (again) Manic Mansion2(DotT),

So I was wondering if someone could recommend me some good DOS adventure games that rocked ur world back in the day.

Thx in advance :D

Castelvania Dracula X and Chrono Trigger (RPG. does that count?)

Hey guys

I found the CD-ROM of King's Quest VII. Would you recommend playing the games in order, or is it nothing-to-do with the previous games a la Final Fantasy?

There is the overall chronological order to contend with, but no, these games are their own seperate stories and can be well enjoyed even without playing the previous games. Those who play the previous games, however, are always rewarded with a little more insight and appreciation of in-references. Now I can't remember specifically how well tied VII was with the rest of them, but overall that's how Williams always made the games.

The short of it - it's best to play the others first but won't really hurt the overall experience if you don't.

Sadly, I missed out on the PC games of old. When I was younger, the closest thing to a computer that I owned was an Atari XE (which I still have, and love). Some of my friends had C64s, C128s, and one even had an older IBM, but I rarely got to play anything on them. My first PC came in 2001, by which time even Quake 3 was 'old'. But, little by little since then, I've been finding the games I missed out on. The Immortal, Nova 9, Stellar 7, Might and Magic 1-8, Silpheed, the first three Wing Commander games, MechWarrior 2, a good number of the FPSs that came out (Wolfenstein 3D to Blood)... stuff like that.

I've yet to venture into the old Lucas Arts adventure games though, as some of the prices that the more popular ones go for are ridiculous at times. Someday I'll take the plunge though.

The other day I beat (again) Manic Mansion2(DotT),

So I was wondering if someone could recommend me some good DOS adventure games that rocked ur world back in the day.

Thx in advance :D

Castelvania Dracula X and Chrono Trigger (RPG. does that count?)
Thos're DOS?? :shock:

In any case, this thread inspired me to poke around the Internets and I found DOS ports of popular games I never knew existed. Like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade game, the Virgin/Genesis version of Aladdin and MegaMan X3 (I already knew MegaMan X was available).

--But back to adventure games...

Sadly, I missed out on the PC games of old. When I was younger, the closest thing to a computer that I owned was an Atari XE (which I still have, and love). Some of my friends had C64s, C128s, and one even had an older IBM, but I rarely got to play anything on them. My first PC came in 2001, by which time even Quake 3 was 'old'. But, little by little since then, I've been finding the games I missed out on. The Immortal, Nova 9, Stellar 7, Might and Magic 1-8, Silpheed, the first three Wing Commander games, MechWarrior 2, a good number of the FPSs that came out (Wolfenstein 3D to Blood)... stuff like that.

I've yet to venture into the old Lucas Arts adventure games though, as some of the prices that the more popular ones go for are ridiculous at times. Someday I'll take the plunge though.

Wow. And I thought getting my first real PC in 1997 was bad...

I missed out on a lot too. And the ones I didn't miss out on I was mostly just watching over a friend's shoulder (my parents were pretty anti-video-games...)

The Apple II games I know (Oregon Trail, Carmen Sandiego, etc.) and even some Macintosh ones, but the PC realm was largely foreign to me in the early to mid '90s.

Has anyone mentioned Full Throttle yet? Seriously.

Anything Lucasarts put out pre-1998 or so was pure gold. Honestly I don't know what happened. I wish I could find all these games again.

And damn that desert in King's Quest V. There was one part that I was stuck in that I could never for the life of me figure out. King's Quest VI was pretty cool as well. Never got to play the others.

Grim Fandango

The Longest Journey

Only adventure games you'll ever need, although Sam & Max, Full Throttle, and the Monkey Island series are also really nice.

-Nick

First page.

King's Quest VI was my favorite out of all of them. VII mostly annoyed me. The first one was just hard to get anywhere in. I gave a friend KKQ VIII: Mask of Eternity (or something like that) for his birthday. He played it and told me the game was pretty much crap.

A few people have, including me. It happens to be my favorite of them all although it's remarkably short. Awsome game. It's too bad that Lucasarts cancelled their plans for a sequel, but without Roy Conrad, it wouldn't be the same anyway. RIP, good buddy. He's sorely missed. :-(

Anything Lucasarts put out pre-1998 or so was pure gold. Honestly I don't know what happened. I wish I could find all these games again.

Pretty much. I can never understand why they ditched a lineup that was perhaps their second best seller behind the Star Wars games.

And damn that desert in King's Quest V. There was one part that I was stuck in that I could never for the life of me figure out. King's Quest VI was pretty cool as well. Never got to play the others.

I love both KQ V and VI, but yeah, that desert was a pain in the butt. I always have to check a walkthrough to get through that bit. Coincidentally, VI was quite easy to figure out, even the harder path where you had to go through the realm of the dead and all that. Meeting Sanheim rocks! :mrgreen:

Yeah, but in terms of Star Wars, they've just been churning out "Clone war this" and "clone war that" over and over. Of course I'm really excited about The Force Unleashed if just from a technical standpoint and I'm going nuts over the new next-gen Indiana Jones game that's coming out eventually.

Although I wonder if it's just time to close the curtain on those kinds of adventure games. I mean, I haven't played the latest Sam & Max games, so I'll reserve my judgment, but I thought that Escape From Monkey Island was a bit lacking compared to Curse of Monkey Island. Maybe it was the art direction and the jump to 3D, maybe it was just me, I dunno.

Yeah, but in terms of Star Wars, they've just been churning out "Clone war this" and "clone war that" over and over. Of course I'm really excited about The Force Unleashed if just from a technical standpoint and I'm going nuts over the new next-gen Indiana Jones game that's coming out eventually.

I actually meant the older Star Wars games, even though Star Wars games have always run fairly strong (at least in sales anyway). At the same time that Lucasarts was churning out the great adventure games, they had to contend with the likes of X-Wing, TIE-Fighter, and the Dark Forces games. Coincidentally, I still consider those particular games to be the best of the Star Wars series.