Schala's Theme

HoboKa

I like the sound it has, it definetely has the sound of something that could be awesome, the drums seem poorly sampled though, the flute is wrong but you know that or else you wouldn't have commented on it.

Anyway did you finish Tyrano lair? I want to hear that in completion! that was good!

I like the sound it has, it definetely has the sound of something that could be awesome, the drums seem poorly sampled though, the flute is wrong but you know that or else you wouldn't have commented on it.

Anyway did you finish Tyrano lair? I want to hear that in completion! that was good!

I'm unsure...I need to bug JJT or some other judge to see if its worth posting yet

As for Schala WIP u don't like the drums? T_T, I thought they went well with the rhythm *tears* lol. Hmm okay, how can I improve them? Sample quality or their tempo/beat?

Yeah I'll post some drums in a moment,

it's not that they are off beat, just loud and kinda not really feeling like the music your setting

Well you are probably right, but for the Midi, the guy used world drums too, though his is way better and I really don't feel like doing a Midi rip :(, so what sort of angle could you suggest? I don't really feel like doing the same feel as my Tyranno Lair remix lol

http://media.putfile.com/Schalas-Theme---Midi is the Midi, you can definately tell that this author is a genius. He did a wonderful job on his flute and drums.

BTW, I'm sorry but I didn't find your drum sample very useful, because it doesn't really click with me when I think of this song. Thanks for your effort though :)

Don't worry about it, just trying to help whenever I can

Well I can't say that this mix has a lot going for it, everything sounds dry like the sahara desert (especially the percussion) and the string and piano notes sound dissonant compared to the main melody ostinato.

Also, the percussion and the flute are very off-beat, it all sounds very chaotic, and there's little to none expansion upon the original. You're going to need to work it out a lot more to get a cohesive musical idea, but first of all, just make sure all the tracks are lined up correctly, and everything is nicely quantized on-beat.

P.S. I think the flute in the original is in fact a Shakuhachi, so you might want to look for a soundfont of it. With some pitch control you can fake the glissandos(the slides) at the start of each note

Hmm, something's not sounding right when that (Cello?) comes in. Sounds like it's coming in on beat 2 of the measure instead of the downbeat (beat 1). Now, you may be purposely playing them freely outside of the beat structure, but it sounds off the way it's currently written.

Now the percussion is in, and it seems to be off the beat also. It's starting on beat 3 rather than the downbeat, but again, if it's on purpose that's up to you. Flute's coming in on the "And" of beat 3, which also normally comes in on the downbeat and is playing wrong notes. I've put together a quick exmaple of the basic flow of the original (not exact by any means, but listen to the timings):

http://nutritiousmultimedia.googlepages.com/SchalaExample.mp3

I didn't include the drums as they've alredy been mentioned & didn't do pitch bends with flute or anything.

Honestly, Schala's theme is a tough song to mix - not because it's technically difficult, but because it's been done many times before and covered from a lot of different angles. The real challenge is trying to find an original take on the theme.

Well I can't say that this mix has a lot going for it, everything sounds dry like the sahara desert (especially the percussion) and the string and piano notes sound dissonant compared to the main melody ostinato..

the mix has just started, before you can really critique the arrangement give him time to fix his errors, but he does have a point, you may want to up quality of your sounds, and fix strings at first

the mix has just started, before you can really critique the arrangement give him time to fix his errors, but he does have a point, you may want to up quality of your sounds, and fix strings at first

Well problems should be nipped in the bud =P

Besides, IMO you shouldn't post like 20 seconds of work, it's really only worth it if you already have enough work done to demonstrate the general feel and direction of your arrangement.

Well problems should be nipped in the bud =P

Besides, IMO you shouldn't post like 20 seconds of work, it's really only worth it if you already have enough work done to demonstrate the general feel and direction of your arrangement.

I agree completely, but he was interested if his mix was worth it which I could hear potential in it, whether how bad the drums were or how off some of his instruments were he could definetely improve it, not that your critism was bad just sounded harsh for something just brought out.

Hmm after all the talk in your other thread this is kind of disappointing to hear. You still seem to be unable to hear when things are offbeat or offkey that should be noticeable, if not glaringly obvious, to anybody even without musical training. The cello enters too early causing dissonance between it and the lead synth. The drums come in early shifting the rhythm of the song and it just feels unnatural. The flute comes in on a weird offbeat and plays pretty much all out of key. Everything clashes pretty much.