Laugh if you must, but I want to know.

Paladin-01

Okay, I wasn't specific in the topic because I knew everyone would just pass this over if I did. Let me be blunt. My area sucks. Almost no opportunity for anyone for employment without managerial experience or willingness to settle for Taco Bell and other assorted part time fast food jobs. I live in the middle of nowhere, and have neither the cash nor the social contacts to move out.

So, I'm looking at what I can do to get somewhere.

Enough exposition now (It was just to answer the questions that would be asked), I come to you with the meat of my consideration. I've heard that those "Win an iPod" promotions online work, so long as you refer friends etc etc. So, I wonder. Those "Work at home" commercials on the TV... They wouldn't have the funding to make commercials on TV if they weren't true... right? I'm more than certain there are catches... but there isn't much that can't beat out 3 hour days at Taco Bell just for the lunch rush.

tl;dr: Work at home, any worth to it?

I've personally never met anyone for whom these online pyramid schemes have worked. If you want a stay at home job you can try your hands on opening an ebay store. There is always shortage of reliable ebay stores.

A friend of mine had a 'stay at home' job putting stamps and return addresses on envelopes for various businesses and mailing them. I don't remember who he worked for but it was some temp job company. He did it for about 2 years. He didn't make a whole lot of money (I think like $300 a week) but it was better than nothing.

just throwing it out... the point being it offers relocation assistance...

http://www.idsoftware.com/business/jobs/index.php

not trying to be funny or anything incase it doesn't work out, but I used to be in a similar situation as you were (mainly no "real" paying jobs at the time) I pretty much put together a resume and did a random shot in the dark. I now work for a company making very good money.

...Relocation assistance?

Its something, but manufacturing is really not my thing.. which only makes me feel picky. However, I REALLY can't stand the job I'm at now. Finally got my paycheck, for a grand total of $79 for a week's work. They have me working JUST The hard hours of lunch rush.

You said your area sucked and wanted to get out but had no contacts or the money to do so...

Think of those manufacturing jobs as an entry thing... to get yourself aquainted with work... At least they ought to have programs for continuing education where you can learn more skills... Not to mention its more worth while than what you're getting as of now. Best of luck though

It means they help you relocate.

In other words they have a program or system in helping those who live too far away from the work place, move closer to said work place. Meaning moving out of your current residence to a new residence close to the job... This is however under the assumption that you are hired and such...

...Relocation assistance?

Its something, but manufacturing is really not my thing.. which only makes me feel picky. However, I REALLY can't stand the job I'm at now. Finally got my paycheck, for a grand total of $79 for a week's work. They have me working JUST The hard hours of lunch rush.

Manufacturing work isn't all that bad. I've worked it for a while and it is certainly better than many lower jobs. Concrete/chemical factories are pretty good work. Uses muscle power but you feel great as if you accomplished something after every day.

Okay, I wasn't specific in the topic because I knew everyone would just pass this over if I did. Let me be blunt. My area sucks. Almost no opportunity for anyone for employment without managerial experience or willingness to settle for Taco Bell and other assorted part time fast food jobs. I live in the middle of nowhere, and have neither the cash nor the social contacts to move out.

So, I'm looking at what I can do to get somewhere.

Enough exposition now (It was just to answer the questions that would be asked), I come to you with the meat of my consideration. I've heard that those "Win an iPod" promotions online work, so long as you refer friends etc etc. So, I wonder. Those "Work at home" commercials on the TV... They wouldn't have the funding to make commercials on TV if they weren't true... right? I'm more than certain there are catches... but there isn't much that can't beat out 3 hour days at Taco Bell just for the lunch rush.

tl;dr: Work at home, any worth to it?

Ok...if you're looking to "get somewhere" you're not going to do it via pyramid/work-at-home-and-make-a-million-a-month schemes.

What you're asking is extremely general, but here's the big question: what do you want to do?

Are you looking for more money, better hours, or a specific job type? Is there a company you'd ideally like to work for? What skills/training/schooling do you have? These are a couple of the things you must consider if you want to make a better effort in finding a new, good job, and answering these would help me narrow down the advice I could give you.

It might be that you're just looking for a better part-time position (like if you're a student or something), for which I'm gonna give you slightly different advice: don't stress it too much. If you're a student, expect to not make much money right now. If you tried answering the questions I presented above, and feel you're lacking in your skillset, use this time to try to beef it up, either via internship, taking a class, or just finding a job that'll teach you that.

Anyway, I can really only give general advice without knowing more about your specific situation.

Ok...if you're looking to "get somewhere" you're not going to do it via pyramid/work-at-home-and-make-a-million-a-month schemes.

What you're asking is extremely general, but here's the big question: what do you want to do?

Are you looking for more money, better hours, or a specific job type? Is there a company you'd ideally like to work for? What skills/training/schooling do you have? These are a couple of the things you must consider if you want to make a better effort in finding a new, good job, and answering these would help me narrow down the advice I could give you.

It might be that you're just looking for a better part-time position (like if you're a student or something), for which I'm gonna give you slightly different advice: don't stress it too much. If you're a student, expect to not make much money right now. If you tried answering the questions I presented above, and feel you're lacking in your skillset, use this time to try to beef it up, either via internship, taking a class, or just finding a job that'll teach you that.

Anyway, I can really only give general advice without knowing more about your specific situation.

Looking for more money. Better hours would be nice, but the money is big right now. I can't go to school or really even hope for more when I'm earning a whopping $80 a week. I mean, what'd I'd LIKE to do is a job where I can accomplish something while still having a few seconds to my own thoughts before I have to handle some incredibly inane thing, or not feel aching and in pain by the end of the day where I'm supposed to have my time then.

And I did do a constructive job once, telecommunications contracting. 10-12 average hour workdays with 100-200 mile commutes and no breaks was not my idea of a dream job.

...I'm sorry, I just got off work, and I'm sure you can all tell how enthused I am with it. I'm not saying I want to make it big on the crap, just bigger than $80 a week. Maybe something that I could actually afford a vehicle or school with.

What I'd *LIKE* to do would likely be creative writing, non-video game design... maybe just try and be a Manager or something for the safety and money. But right now I hold no illusions that I'll be getting a job I'd want, or even really like.

I am looking into relocating though, see if I can badger any relatives >.>