surround speaker problem

TheGuitarHero

If this is the wrong area to ask this question then sorry. I dont know where else to ask this.

I cant find the answer to this anywhere and maybe some of you guys can help.

ok, so Im trying to get 5.1 surround sound on my computer. I dont have regular computer speakers. I have it hooked up to a reciever. my soundcard is the sound blaster X-Fi elite pro. it came with a front pannel console thingie. I connected a fiber optical cable from the fiber optical output on my console to the fiber optical input on the reciever. when I click on the sound for the rear L and R speakers the sound comes out from the front L and R front speakers. when I click on the sub the sound comes out of center speaker. the front L, R, and center speaker work fine. and yes the computer is set up for a 5.1 system right now. so why isnt it working?

Well as to where you could ask it, usually they like to direct tech questions here.

About your question - are you absolutely sure you've got it wired correctly back there? I once had a cheap surround system where I had that exact problem - turns out I accidentally connected them in reverse.

Since it was such a cheap system they actually had it connected wrong inside, so while I had connected them correctly everything still came out wrong. Doesn't sound like that's your problem.

So. Whenever I install sound blaster drivers it asks me what speaker system I have, and I always click 2.1. It sounds to me like your soundcard still thinks you only have 2 speakers connected and doesn't know you have more. If you haven't already done this, try right-clicking the little volume thing in the system tray, and going into adjust audio properties - then click audio, advanced, and there should be a "speakers" tab you'll be in where you can adjust what your setup is. If you haven't already done that it might fix your problem. If not, try maybe even reinstalling your drivers and make sure it knows. Not sure I can help more than that.

Like Antipode said, it looks like you have a configuration problem, it maybe the computer, it maybe the receiver (depends on how much control you have with it). Based on your descriptions, it sounds like one of them is set up for 2.1 and you have your sub and center backwards. Your description makes it sound like the receiver is set up for 2.1 and when it gets sound for RL and RR it just pumps it into FL and FR. That and your sub and center seem to be switched...so I would double check that and make sure your receiver is good as well, ie. RTFM. :P