OCR-Tan

DarkeSword

IDEA: What if I repurpose X's armor-less damage anim to be the Nice Shot anim? Then we can use it both on land AND in midair. I'm working on a mock-up right now. Probably won't be done tonight, but very likely tomorrow night.

EDIT: Behold, the gist.

Tan_nice_shot.gif

Useable both in midair and on the ground.

Epic Lulz

I can see this and Coops working together

Coops can be the initial guitar spawn and the Level 1 charged shot. You keep holding down the button and it automatically goes into a Level 2 shot.

So everybody wins...particularly me since I MAKE THE RULES ::lightning::

http://www.thewingless.com/ocrtan.htm

click the giant purple question mark in the lower left for button prompts

and excuse my programmer art.

updatezz

Dashing - In progress

-works fine. Just needs to have a little more polish when the dash cooldown ends. Also working on a double tap feature because double-tapping is surprisingly hard

Tier one Chargebeam - In progress

-works fine. Some minor tweaks needed here and there. I like the charge stuff independent of the main weapon simple because of coding and it allows more freedom for our two-tier charge beam

-----

Critiques

Coop: I think we need to lower the background fence a tad (or raise it). It's right with Tan's line of fire so it creates alot of noise.

Chumblez: Can you make a png of your pre and post dash pose? It still has a white background on it.

I had to re-upload the charge shot animation. Seems Image Ready, in its infinite coded wisdom, decided to make the final frame use a "Do not dispose" setting, instead of a "Restore to background" one. The result is a "double image" effect on the outline of the character when the gif is imported into Flash, which you can see on the final frame of the charge animation. I ran into this problem when I was making the background. It affected the last frame of all the vehicles as they animated, making the black line along their tops get twice as thick on the final frame of their loop. Took me a bit figure out what was wrong back then.

Anyway, here's the fixed one...

Tan4ChargeNiceShot3a2.gif

Wingless- I sent you a new version of the background via PM. That little biker that goes zipping across near the end had the same problem as the charge animation, so I fixed it. Also, what do you mean by "noise"?

Also, I don't know if you intended it to be this way, but if you start charging a shot and then release Control before you actually shoot, and then hold Control again, the charge continues from where it left off. So if you charge until right before you shoot and then cancel it, you have an instant-charge-shot when you hit Control again.

One issue I had on my computer was that with the standard shooting animation. When the projectile is created on my screen, it is generated over Tan's body rather than at her hand. Simply, the origin point for the shot seems too far back relative to the hand. This is especially obvious if you hold the spacebar down to shoot shots consecutively.

Ah, the opening. Do I get to draw pictures for that? Like... little talking faces or something?

You can if you want. Nothing too involved. Just something like a head with shoulders shot ala the MMX games (about the same size in dimensions too), with two frames (mouth open, mouth closed). I figure one for Tan4, one for Dr. Pretzel, and one for the turtle boss.

Edit: Here's an example from one of the games...

mmx_drlight2.gif

http://www.thewingless.com/ocrtan.htm

V.3 Updates

In no particular order!

-------

Additions

Dashing - Complete

-could probably due with some minor tweaks, but the limiter works pretty well and emulates X dashing well.

Jumping - In progress

-Very rudimentary but gets the job done. There is no limiter on it yet, so you can do "Cheetah Man" style jumping right now.

Pellet hit detection - Complete

-Hits enemy, plays the correct explosion animation, and successfully removes itself

Parallax experiment - Complete

-A proof of concept. When Tan gets near the arena boundaries, the arena scrolls and parallaxes slightly. A small but pretty cool effect. Coop, slave away on it!

------------------------

Tweaks

-The shooting animation is now the previous charge animation. In other words, she shoots from her guitar. (I am aware of the origin point of the pellets not aligning)

-The charge animation is Spuzz's new strumming animation (she returns to her idle pretty badly afterwards, still working on that)

====================

Woo!

How many hits does it take to kill the damn thing? It won't die! :P

Also, the charge shot doesn't land... and you may want to set limits on how far OCR-Tan can go with the scrolling...

You can't kill it, silly!

Hope the scrolling isn't "complete", because it's royally broken... it can scroll forever, scrolling seems to affect only the background (i.e. the screen moves, but OCR-tan and the enemy stay in the same place!!), and sliding/dashing makes you hit the edge with no scrolling. But I guess as a proof of concept, the background scrolling animation technically IS complete ;)

One last gripe: charged shot is near impossible to aim - you should have to release the button to shoot. But that means a "you have a fully charged shot" animation (or sound??) is required.... Yeah, I know the charge shot programming isn't complete, but it's good discuss this stuff beforehand.

[Edit]

BTW I like the guitar for regular shot =D Keeps it all consistent, I guess.