Where do I get good drum samples?

I got a ton of drum sample cd's, I keep buying them, but all I'm getting is crap. Where do you get good drum samples? for example, in ben cousins "Bigshellwestbistro", they have some really groovy drums (they are really compressed by i like that) how do I get drums like that? Do I have to get a drum set or something?

Try Stormdrum or Drumkit from Hell. Reaktor has quite a few drum machines (electronic drums) that sound very raw, analog, vintage, high quality.

I would NOT recommend Reason's samples because they are overly processed, unless one has no idea at all how to mix, master, and produce a song and wants the easy way out.

The drum samples that come with Fruity Loops are NOT as bad as people say if you know how to process them properly.

I've always been a fan of anything Roland especially the drum machines and it's great to be able to find a sample pack with the classic 808/909 sounds but also the less popular but still quite good TR-606 and 707.

Nice a little to see the MC-303 being used, that was my very first groovebox i ever bought back in 2002 after learning the basics prior with the Yamaha DJX and Music 2000.

Nice link, Overcoat. Thanks for that! I already have most of the Roland samples in the MC-505 but I'm interested to hear some of the other ones, 'specially the Alesis drums.

GeckoYamori is right, getting good samples is just half of the work. Good drums are usually processed or layered.

• 4 weeks later...

There was a nice article about Madonna's album in this month's Sound On Sound that showed a good example. Processing can be done during recording - e.g. using multiple microphones to get a certain ambience, using the equalizers and compressors to change the sound.

from SOS:

In his time, Jimmy was way ahead of everybody else," remarks Corsaro. "He had a rack of samplers and sounds and gear that just did all different things, and he would sit there and blend them all together. He usually used the whole console to bounce down all the drum bits, so that instead of it being a simple sound it would be a hybrid sound. There'd be maybe three or four different snares all put together, three or four different bass drums, maybe more, as well as cymbals, hi-hats, toms and other sounds that were inserted.

They'd also use guitar amps with a microphone in front of it as effects or bathrooms and stairwells (yes, that's what you have to do without convolution).

That's processing :).

There was a nice article about Madonna's album in this month's Sound On Sound that showed a good example. Processing can be done during recording - e.g. using multiple microphones to get a certain ambience, using the equalizers and compressors to change the sound.

They'd also use guitar amps with a microphone in front of it as effects or bathrooms and stairwells (yes, that's what you have to do without convolution).

That's processing :).

Yeah I've tried layering drums with different ones, then I distorted with with the Fruity Mixer, I managed to make some sexy sounds :). Processing ftw :D

• 3 months later...

For fully processed drums, Steven Slate drum samples if you want incredible-sounding ready-to-go acoustic drums. They need very little work, if any at all, to fit perfectly in a mix. These are the drums you hear in today's top music. Also, Toontrack EZDrummer with several expansions for good sounding drums, ready to go into a mix.

For raw, unprocessed drums, Toontrack DFH Custom and Vintage (Superior has been discontinued but Superior 2 will be out soon) or FXpansion BFD (with several expansions, BFD 2 out soon as well) are the best. Addictive Drums are pretty good, too, if you don't mind not having 24bit samples. Addictive Drums comes with built in effects, as BFD 2 and DFHS 2 will.

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/

http://www.toontrack.com/

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=30

As far as processing goes...well...there's no magic plugin that will do it all. It all depends on what kind of sound you're going for. And for me, it's all trial and error. I get a little better each time I do it.

I'd recommend Studio Drums by Native Instruments.

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=studiodrums (Description)

https://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=shopdetail&prid=632 (Order Page)

If you're willing to shell out around $120, I'd say go with this. It'd DEFINITELY be a good alternative to your sample CDs. Or not. What do I know, eh? But like some others have said, Addictive Drums, EZDrummer, StormDrum, or Drumkit from Hell are GREAT too.