n00b question: Why did you pick [software name here]?

I'm hoping this isn't too general a question. Basically, I'm wondering what made you choose the software you use (FL, Sonar, etc) over others out there? Was it the interface, the features, or something else? Did you play with several different programs, then narrow it down from there?

There's a part-two to my question, but first a little background. Now that I've graduated, I'll (eventually) have free time again and am strongly considering getting more involved in music. I've definitely been inspired by this community to learn more about doing my own arrangements, so I'm going back and relearning music theory and for the first time learning basic composition, etc. I'm also heavily leaning toward getting the M-Audio Axiom 49, since it seems pretty well-rounded for what I'd probably be doing with it (right now I've got a crappy Yamaha keyboard, which currently serves for me to practice on), but that's neither here nor there.

(Here comes the actual second part to the question) My next step is going to be choosing what software I'd like to start out with, and this is where I'm having the greatest difficulty. One of the things I'm considering is how I'll be tackling the learning curve. I've seen for programs like Reason and Sonar, they have guides in bookstores on how to use them, something I haven't seen for, say, Fruity Loops. How did you guys figure out how to use the software you use? Was there a book you read on it, did you have a friend who showed you, or did you just figure it out by fiddling with it? Did you already have some basic knowledge as to how to use the program before downloading and playing with it?

I'd really appreciate hearing anyone's experiences and advice on the matter; right now I'm not even sure what factors I should take into consideration when looking at the software, let alone good resources for learning how to use the programs. Thanks in advance, guys.

I used FL for years because.... well, everyone else used it :P

I switched to Renoise recently, because of my extremely belated love and appreciation of tracking :P but it's a perfectly capable program, and the only one that isn't overpriced and loaded with licensing and anti-piracy bullshit [dongles, randomly asking you to reregister your license, etc]. Also, the 1.9 beta that just came out is more awesome. I like it better than something with piano rolls, though I do think FL Studio is fine.

I wouldn't recommend a beginner try to start out with Renoise. Well, actually I would, it's not as hard as one would think. But it's more if you like "programming" your music, and having ultimate control over wav samples. Ideal for electronic musicians, but probably not for the more traditional composers.

Sonar Producer Edition 5.2...

I started out with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 back in 2000. It came free with a piece of audio gear that I had purchased at the time. I found it incredibly intuitive to use and fairly easy on the eyes. It did nearly everything I needed it to do at the time.

I had later noticed that Sonar was coming out and so I started downloading trial versions of other programs to see if there was any reason not to upgrade to it. I didn't like anything else I tried so I stuck with Cakewalk.

I can't imagine using anything else for the majority of my tracking and mixing.

Similarly, I use SONAR for sequencing and multitrack DAW'ing

I started out in 1998 with a program called Noteworthy Composer, where I first started writing music on the computer. Then I went to MIDI Orchestrator Plus and then Cakewalk. Once you learn an interface that does everything you need it to do, you don't want to change. I played with others, but I always came back to Cakewalk.

SONAR was the obvious choice, for me.

I started using a really awesome (but kinda limited) program called Music Generator. Then I bought anew computer and it came with GarageBand. GarageBand was a weird transition, because there was a lot of things MG could do that GB couldn't and vice-versa. So it was a good learning experience. But I wanted something that had all the features of both programs. Being a Mac user means that there are only a few really nice music programs out. I basically decided I either wanted Cubase, ProTools, or Logic.

I tried all the demos and I found that Logic best suited my creation preferences. (The basic environment was set up and behaved the way I felt most confortable). I was fairly familiar with everything in Logic, and at times, it seems like it knows what I'm planning to do next. It just works really well for me. Not to mention that almost every one of the bands I like uses Logic as either their main sequencer or a part of their studio. I guess you could call that part a sort of "celebrity testimonial" on behalf of Logic.

For the second part of your post, it's a combination of fiddling and research. Logic comes with a small guide for people who have used GarageBand to show them how parts of Logic relate to the same elements in GarageBand. But in reality, I learn the most by just fiddling around. Sometimes I get stuck, and then people on the forums are a huge help. Every timeI've had a question about general music creation of specificquestions about Logic, the advice I get from people here is always faster and much more helpful than me just trying to find it online or in the instruction manual.

I started with Cakewalk Pro Audio way back in the day, but I never really knew how to use it outside of recording god awful guitar tracks. When I first came to OCR, Injury told me about FL so I picked that up and that's what I learned on. I later tried Reason for a while (my first OC ReMix was done in Reason), but ultimately went back to FL. I've since learned to use Cubase for multitrack recording, however I still use FL for sequencing.

I guess the reason I've stuck with FL is because it's what I'm most comfortable with, and unlike Reason, it has actually improved significantly over the last 5 years.

I started out with Music 2000 a.k.a. Music Generator 2. It's a cracking little program and is capable of some pretty high quality stuff. My track 'Murder Instinct' from the Super Street Fighter 2 ReMix project was done with M2000.

However, whilst it does come come with a few thousand samples, a good portion of them aren't that great and some are utter turd. Also it does have its limitations with what you can do with the samples. Your also limited to the 4/4 signature.

It's a great little package but you'll eventually outgrow it, just as I did.

I use Cubase now. There's far more functionality and it has a cracking piano roll.

This has been great, thank you all for your responses. It seems like the majority of people learned pretty much from playing around with the programs and asking questions/consulting faqs/manuals as needed...that definitely makes me feel a little more comfortable starting out. I guess my next step now is to try out some trial versions of software and see where that takes me. Thanks again, everyone.

I've used almost everything at one point or another, with the exception of Digital Performer. I haven't touched the later versions of Logic or Pro Tools, but the former always seemed counterintuitive to me and the latter has lacked strong MIDI functionality for years.

I'm a Cubase man. For me, it offers the best combination of power features and ease of use. I need a traditional linear track view, so Fruity's basically out, I need plug-in hosting and tempo/time-signature modifications, so Reason's out, and as far as Sonar goes... I'm playing around with 6 and find it usable, but the interface still feels... uncertain to me. That's the best adjective I can describe: I think I'm using it correctly, but things feel wishy-washy whereas with Cubase when I perform an edit it seems more decisive, the controls and overall interface more responsive and logically arranged.

As I'm writing this, I'm finally upgrading to Cubase 4. I bought two copies for both of my studios. I'll be posting a separate thread on my thoughts, if I don't just dedicate a blog entry on it. SX 3.x is my favorite over anything else at the moment, regardless, so hopefully 4 will only increase the margin.

Well for a while, I used FL. Honestly, I just dont like the sequencer at all. Eventually I got reason. Watched a little tutorial video about 2.5 and away I went.

I'm a little surprized alot of people here say reason hasnt improved over the last 5 years. From 2.5 to 3 its improved immensely. From 3 - 4 its improved twice as much as before.

Just a little tidbit. Reason 4 has bpm automation, time signature automation, a clock, and a bunch of other stuff thats most likely gonna put it on top in the future :D. Again, I'd say the only downfall is no vst support.. but with its new synth, You could probably make anything and everything :P.

Sorry I went a little off topic. I just dont like it when people say things that are somewhat misinformed.

I started out using Fruity Loops 3. After using it off and on for awhile I decided to try out some other programs as I was getting frustrated with FL's workflow and set-up. I then started using Reason and loved it bc you can literally create anything with.

But I still was lookin for a DAW that could use VST's. So I started to try out all of the other options. I tried out everything except Cubase and Digital Performer. Logic was good but I don't own a MAC. ProTools midi and workflow didn't suit me. Sonar felt very bloated, way too many buttons and 'things to click' to do simple tasks. Project5 was something I really enjoyed but I eventually settled on Live. I demoed it 3 different times before I got it's workflow. Once I got used to it I enjoyed working with a linear based time better. Also when using Live I really enojyed the feeling of being able to do anything I could think of in just about 3 clicks or less. It got me concentrating more on the music instead of what buttons I need to click. The single screen setup in Live is something I prefer also.

At the end of the day I still use FL for midi sequencing but that's about it. I use Live and Reason(rewired) for everything else. Basically every DAW can do the same basic tasks. It's really about which DAW has the best workflow for you and gives you the greatest creative inspiration. Basically try out all of the demos multiple times so you are certain progam 'X' either works or doesn't work for you.

I've tried many different sequencers over the years. Started out using Reason 2, but decided I wanted plug in support. I tried out FL, Cubase (2 or 3, not sure which version was out at the time) and Sonar 3. Wasn't a fan of FL, didn't really mesh with Cubase so I ended up with Sonar. I decided I wanted to switch to a Mac, cause well, I got annoyed with dealing with Windows and my uncle tried to convince me to go to ProTools. Tried out ProTools 6.9 on his portable rig when he was down here visiting over christmas, but found it's midi implementation lacking. I had heard many good things about Logic, so I went to an apple store and gave it a run. I decided to buy it and have been happy with if ever since. After I got used to the work flow, I fell in love with it and have probably saved a bit of cash because I can still get by with it's included effects plug ins (imo the best set of packaged plugs with any sequencer). I've also tried out Traction 2, P5 v2 (demo and got a run through of the full version from SGX) and Live Lite 5 and 6. P5 and Live are pretty cool programs, though they don't really fit my work flow or my style or music, though I was tempted to buy Live just to play with it cause it's such a fun piece of software. I'm tempted to pick up DP, just to see if I like it but I see no reason too since I'm happy with what I have now.

I've used almost everything at one point or another, with the exception of Digital Performer. I haven't touched the later versions of Logic or Pro Tools, but the former always seemed counterintuitive to me and the latter has lacked strong MIDI functionality for years.

I'm a Cubase man. For me, it offers the best combination of power features and ease of use. I need a traditional linear track view, so Fruity's basically out, I need plug-in hosting and tempo/time-signature modifications, so Reason's out, and as far as Sonar goes... I'm playing around with 6 and find it usable, but the interface still feels... uncertain to me. That's the best adjective I can describe: I think I'm using it correctly, but things feel wishy-washy whereas with Cubase when I perform an edit it seems more decisive, the controls and overall interface more responsive and logically arranged.

As I'm writing this, I'm finally upgrading to Cubase 4. I bought two copies for both of my studios. I'll be posting a separate thread on my thoughts, if I don't just dedicate a blog entry on it. SX 3.x is my favorite over anything else at the moment, regardless, so hopefully 4 will only increase the margin.

I feel pretty much the same way. I am still "test driving" Sonar 6, and while it's got some really cool features it still doesn't support VST properly. I load DFHS in it and I only get 6 audio output tracks and the mono tracks are hard panned. The way I see it, I can either spend an hour learning how to remedy that or I can spend that hour writing music in Cubase.

I'm using SX3 at the moment but I'm JUST about to order Cubase 4. Since Steinberg finally got at least one update for it I feel better about going that route. Though, SX3 has been acting up lately (most likely because not everything I use is... legit... yet, so I get dongle errors... :( ). Other than that, I'd say that Cubase SX3 is the most straightforward, streamlined, and insanely powerful DAW I've ever used. Pro Tools is still the standard in most places so I keep up to date with it, but for my personal music my entire studio is controlled by Cubase.

Anyway, I'd appreciate a review on Cubase 4 as soon as you get your hands on it. I'm still gonna buy it, but I'd like to get myself and my studio ready before it arrives (AKA, not get my hopes up).

I started out using Cool Edit Pro 2.0, and I still use it today for recording guitar or capturing samples from various places. I then found out about FL, Reason, and Cubase. Actually, I think my first thread on OCR asked which DAW would be the best for me to use (it got locked, obviously). I tried out demos of quite a few, and they all ran very slowly on my computer. Eventually, I discovered FL Studio 5, which also ran slowly, but the least slowly out of all the other DAWs that I test drove. I'm also not too crazy about FL's interface, and while it does get frustrating, I'll just have to deal with it until I can afford to buy a Mac.

So there you have it, I basically picked FL and Cool Edit Pro because they're easy on RAM. FL isn't bad, but I don't think I ever use any of FL's default presets anymore, I just record my own parts, or download a soundfont or VST.