Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Kiyosuki

• 4 weeks later...

I was really excited to hear that MGS4 was happenning, especially after Kojima declared that he would not be doing any more MGS games a while back. However, after watching all the trailers, I have to say, it is starting to look like over the top self-parody. At first, I was ok with Raiden flipping around, I was also ok with the mechs. But what is up with the Beauty and the Beast squad for chrissakes? The concept and presentation are preposterous!

I was really excited to hear that MGS4 was happenning, especially after Kojima declared that he would not be doing any more MGS games a while back. However, after watching all the trailers, I have to say, it is starting to look like over the top self-parody. At first, I was ok with Raiden flipping around, I was also ok with the mechs. But what is up with the Beauty and the Beast squad for chrissakes? The concept and presentation are preposterous!

It doesn't seem much more so than 2 or 3 to me. This is just a hunch, but I have a feeling the really weird things like the Beauty and the Beast squad are meant to really show how "alien" the world is becoming in the future compared to what Snake, and in a way we ourselves are used to.

I was surprised to see Ocelot/Liquid still piloting Ray. It really looks like he's going all out to make it known that this is the last "Solid" game.

One thing though, it kind of looks like they showed Raiden's death scene already. Its interpretable since its only a few seconds but that looks like a death scene to me. I don't know about anyone else.

I wonder if the Russian Philosopher's will play a part in all this. I mean we know of the American Philosopher's (The Patriots / The Wiseman's Committee / La-li-lu-le-lo) involvement and potentially the Chinese Philosopher's involvement seeing that "EVA" or now codename Big Mama is on the scenes... but we haven't seen much of the Russian Philosopher's hand in anything unless I'm mistaken...

Also the part where it looks like Rex and Ray going head to head seems like a completely different location. It looks like a really cold place... will we potentially go back to Shadow Moses? Also based on how beat up Rex looks like... could this possibly be the one we blew up in the first Metal Gear Solid?

rexray_1.jpg

rexray_2.jpg

rexray_3.jpg

rexray_4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I played this at E for All. The way they setup the booth was awesome, it was a longer wait than usual but thanks to the convention's lower profile since its starting out (I liked it, it was chill.) that wasn't too big a deal.

They had you go into a training room first, then you got to play the actual game with stereo headphones, which was a great thing because the soundeffects in this game are unbelievably immersive.

I'm a huge MGS fan and I've been following it through almost every major game but even I have to admit that MGS started to feel like it sort of found its "routine". The MGS feel. Like you get caught, you essentially know the steps and the process of what to do. Character controls similarly, you got the Codec/Radio, the side switch selections, you can crawl. MGS3 mixed it up a little more, but in this one I think they've done a superb job so far of mixing that up even more so it doesn't feel too much like previous MGS's.

The elements of familiarity are there, but the feeling of immersiveness is so intense that it just feels so much more organic and natural. Thats the big thing that caught my eye is how much it puts you in the situation. There is no singular process, you can play this game in many different ways because of Kojima's theme of trying to be stealthy in an environment that just doesn't allow it too much. You have to be very quick on your feet in this game and you can choose to go out like an action hero with a gun, a stealthy assassin, or just a sneaker in general. Or do it the old fashioned way with a box or metal barrel. Its really overwhelming at first, and when you get noticed its really intense. Its the first time since MGS that I felt genuine panic whenever I was spotted.

Snake's controls have been reworked. The attack button is now R1, and you either ready yourself or aim by holding L1. Its hard to get used to because I'm used to firing being a regular button but after a while you really get used to it. You can toggle auto aim by pressing Triangle. Crawling is a bit different. You can tap the button and crouch, and you can move around while crouched like this for extra stealth and flexibility. If you hold the button you'll go into a full blown crawl. You can play dead which is really useful, and fire on your back which has various uses too.

Corner shooting is WAAAY different. You can press a button when prompted to at a wall and sneak around it by facing it instead of having your back to it this time. It makes for more precise corner shooting.

Rations work like before again, no more hunting for food. But the Stess meter is interesting. If you get it all the way up you go into combat high which makes your performance waaay better, but after a while you'll get withdrawl and the stress level will go back to nothing until it fills up again. You get more sluggish when this happens, but like shown you can get it up again to decent levels with a girly mag or by doing certain things. Its taken from actual combat data on battlefield stress Kojima studied supposedly.

There is no Soliton Radar and I say fuck it. After MGS3 I can't go back to such a mechanical way of playing. Instead you have this threat circle around Snake and little bumps will form in it in the direction of danger, and the size of the bump will depend on the severity of the threat. Its supposed to be like Snake's instinct.

The new Codec looks really cool. You don't see Snake anymore but you can hear him. Its best described as a text box like before, a sound snychronizer screen to the left and one big screen where whoever you're talking to is shown. Its not just a face displayed anymore, its a full blown screen like you're talking to someone right where they are. Like you see Otacon sitting in a chair in Philantrophy's mobile base of operations.

The game over screen is really cool I have to note. TV static flips in and out and Snake's entire life flashes before his eyes in a rush of images because it blacks out (of course you got the Snake? SNAAAAAAKE?! in the meantime.) I'm guessing because of Nanomachines and how digitized even human beings have become in MGS4's time its supposed to represent a mix of that and Snake's memories.

All I can say is that its something to definitely look forward to. Killer ap doesn't do it justice.

• 5 months later...

I would love to get one, but I need more info. 60 bucks for a bluetooth headset is a little much for me. I already have a headset but... damn is that thing cool. I might have to get one. >_< I'll definitely think about it.

OH HEY! SIDE NOTE!

Is anyone taking part in the Beta next week? The beta pregame download starts this thursday. We should all meet up online if that's possible.