Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Kiyosuki

5 hours, 18 minutes, and 54 seconds until Metal Gear Solid 4 is in my hands!

AND A QUESTION to anthonynemer...

Konami said the game would run at 60 FPS. Metal Gear Online's beta did not run at 60 FPS unless you were looking straight down at the character or at the sky. Does MGS4 run at 60FPS like they said it would or no? Not a big deal either way... 60 FPS makes it look more like a next-gen game. 30 FPS makes it look more similar to a movie. ha.

Yep, the game runs at 60 fps, but also Im playing it at 720p (my TV being HD ready, and not full HD). There are some Frame drops from time to time, cause of the HUGE amount of polygons and details on screen ^^ but i doesn't bother at all. Well, at least not me. :P

Already 12 hours into the game, and to reply to Thin Crust, true there have been a lot of spoilers because of the trailers, but I will add that with the amount of events and things that happen in the game, there's soooooooo much to discover!

Believe me, we've seen so much and yet we've seen nothing. So many surprises ^^

Just for info, I fought 2 bosses till now.... and I had a blast! Amazing fights!!

The game is just fucking amazing ^^

I'm gonna get up at 630 in the morning and try to pick up one of the MGS4 80gb PS3's at walmart and get that $100 gift card.

I don't really want a PS3 RIGHT NOW, but I want one sometime and this is a good deal.

I was pissed off when the guy behind the counter tonight told me that they couldn't sell me one until 7am (unlike what a guy earlier that day had told me). That is, until I heard about the $100 gift card deal. That's groceries to last me a while.

I was pissed off when the guy behind the counter tonight told me that they couldn't sell me one until 7am (unlike what a guy earlier that day had told me). That is, until I heard about the $100 gift card deal. That's groceries to last me a while.

Okay I've got it now. And am sucking it up... Metal Gear games are like my kryptonite, but I have fun anyway.

I'm gonna get up at 630 in the morning and try to pick up one of the MGS4 80gb PS3's at walmart and get that $100 gift card.

I don't really want a PS3 RIGHT NOW, but I want one sometime and this is a good deal.

Yeah, to be honest I wouldn't be getting a PS3 till quite a bit later if it weren't for MGS4. As cool as the MGS4 PS3 would have been, I decided to just go with a regular 80gb since I already preordered the limited edition game.

Anyway, picking up the game after work, and in a week when the system arrives I'll be playing MGS4! Very excited.

So i picked mine up from Gamestop this morning, the guy was like "bundle right?" and i was like "nope just S.E." He didn't understand why i would wait for them to open for just a game apparently. I could have nabbed one of the 2 80 gig bundles.

Slight SPOILERS from mgs2 and 3.

I don't understand something about Snakes character. Maybe it's just the fact that it's a game series and it was bent to fit game play but in MGS2 Snake says something like "I never use a blade" to Raiden when he tosses him the sword. So why the hell does snake always use a knife now? Why does he suddenly know CQC? i suppose it's natural from a game perspective. why take a step backward in game play? Just because Big boss knew CQC doesn't mean shit, because Snake never really got to know Big boss. I suppose he did fight him, in MG1 or 2, whichever.

THERE BE SPOILERS AHEAD. ARRR!

So i finished the first Act or whatever. All the shit from the trailers is right at the beginning, no suprises during the first act, at least to me. old Snake is OLD.

Ok, I've finally decided to buy a ps3. I'll wait until my paychecks add up to it, but there are a few questions. I know that there are more than one type of ps3. I know that one has an 80 gig and the other has um... a lot less. But I would only use it for watching blu-ray and for gaming. So no worries about saving media on it. I don't know what else there is different though. I could look it up, but I'm sure that I would find inconsistant info on it. Technically, for me, I wouldn't use the hard drive for anything other than saving games right? Or is there some other necessary space eater that I don't know about? Sorry about the dumb questions, but I don't know much of anything about the ps3. I do know that the OS is similar to the psp though. And I did own one of those for a month before it got stolen. Next question... I've been patient. I have the money to buy it, but I've been waiting for the right time. There aren't going to be any iminent price drops right? And last question... if I get the cheap $400 dollar one, do they have a first edition glitch like the 50,000 series ps2 and its disk read error? I know I'm cheap, and with the exception of my car and school, this would be the biggest bill I've ever paid up.

Some PS3 games take up a significant amount of space for the install - if you don't want to have to bother to uninstall/reinstall games, I say buy an 80 GB PS3. OR you can buy a smaller sized one (40 GB one), and buy the appropriate hard drive (does it use 3.5" bay ones? I forget, but consult your instruction manual for specs), and follow the instructions for installing a larger one. Doing this does not void your warranty.

Some PS3 games take up a significant amount of space for the install - if you don't want to have to bother to uninstall/reinstall games, I say buy an 80 GB PS3. OR you can buy a smaller sized one (40 GB one), and buy the appropriate hard drive (does it use 3.5" bay ones? I forget, but consult your instruction manual for specs), and follow the instructions for installing a larger one. Doing this does not void your warranty.

Wait a sec, I'm still living in the ps2 era. You actually need to install games in order to play them? You can't just run them off the disk?

EDIT; Or is that just for online play?

Wait a sec, I'm still living in the ps2 era. You actually need to install games in order to play them? You can't just run them off the disk?

EDIT; Or is that just for online play?

Just improves load times, because reading massive, uncompressed textures and stuff off of a Bluray disc can really mean huge loading times. The benefit of this, of course, is that the Bluray format can hold textures that are, like, stunningly crisp compared to other consoles.

Oh man, oh man, oh man!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I have the money at this moment to buy the MGS4 80gig PS3 but I dont because I'm broke. Bahhhh..... *cries* ....... *stops* Meeh.... Somehow I'll get the money and buy it. Just going have to find a job and work hard for it is all I can do for now. >__>;;;;

I figured that since the ps3 is so powerful, it could run unimaginable data directly off the disk... or if it did, would the disk just burst into flame?

So again, is there a difference between the 40gig and the 80gig besides the memory? Like i said, I'm cheap and want to avoid spending as much as possible which means cutting out all features that I don't need. Any advice for a n00b?

I figured that since the ps3 is so powerful, it could run unimaginable data directly off the disk... or if it did, would the disk just burst into flame?

So again, is there a difference between the 40gig and the 80gig besides the memory? Like i said, I'm cheap and want to avoid spending as much as possible which means cutting out all features that I don't need. Any advice for a n00b?

That's the exact question I asked before buying my PS3 a few days ago.

They said "No No No, there's no difference at all except for the memory capacity"

Well, I bought the 40gig. Turns out that there is a difference besides that. On the 40 gig, there are no memory stick slots and there are only 2 USB rather than 4.

So yeah, I got pretty pissed off.

My advice to you dude? Get a COMPLETE PS3, get a 60 or 80.

I wouldn't worry about ps1/ps2 games. That's what my ps2 is for. One more time, is it only certain games that need to be installed on the ps3 to play, or is it all, or is it only for online play, or something like that? Is there a problem with the early models? Like the ps2 had disk read errors all the time in it's early days. Like I said, if I don't need to install the games, I think it would be ok to get the less memory less expensive version.

The 80 GB one axes backward compatibility too I think. You need to get the old 20 GB or 60 GB PS3s if you want that feature.

80gb has software emulation, so it can play at least some PS2 games (probably no trouble with any of the major releases). Still kinda pissed the seller for the 80gb I won on eBay copped out, so I ended up just going and buying a 40gb to avoid further hassle. Still have PS2 hooked up, so I guess it doesn't matter so much if the PS3 is backwards compatible at this point, but I'm just hoping they'll bring out an update to add the software emulation on the 40gb down the line (wishful thinking). Not having mem stick slots and just having 2 USB ports I couldn't care less about, personally.

Thin Crust - Sorry man, I don't have the answer for your question. I wouldn't imagine all games require install, but again just guessing.

I wouldn't worry about ps1/ps2 games. That's what my ps2 is for. One more time, is it only certain games that need to be installed on the ps3 to play, or is it all, or is it only for online play, or something like that? Is there a problem with the early models? Like the ps2 had disk read errors all the time in it's early days. Like I said, if I don't need to install the games, I think it would be ok to get the less memory less expensive version.

Not all games require installation (that i know of). Devil May Cry 4 has about a 25 minute install on ps3. The MGS4 installs 3 times (i think) but probably not more than 20 minutes total. Folklore has an optional install. GTA4 on ps3 has an install (not sure how long). It just helps developers keep load times down I imagine.

Keep in mind that Ps3 hard drives are easily replaceable with larger drives. You just need to buy a standard SATA300 ( i think) laptop HD, own a portable external HDD to copy the ps3 OS and stuff onto, then put in the new drive and copy the stuff back. I haven't done this personally but my friend is going to do it, and I'll probably get a bigger drive after I'm more familiar with the process.

so I was playing through MGS4 again... I guess those installs between chapters are temporary (?), because it continues to do the installs between chapters and when you change from one chapter to another. Which is weird. I mean, it's only 3 minutes, but still.

eh?

I mean at this point MGS4 could bite out my spleen and I'd still be happy because it's frickin' Metal Gear, but ... why wouldn't they just make those installs permanent and then you don't need them again?

so I was playing through MGS4 again... I guess those installs between chapters are temporary (?), because it continues to do the installs between chapters and when you change from one chapter to another. Which is weird. I mean, it's only 3 minutes, but still.

eh?

I mean at this point MGS4 could bite out my spleen and I'd still be happy because it's frickin' Metal Gear, but ... why wouldn't they just make those installs permanent and then you don't need them again?

It does seem a little odd. maybe with the rise of the 40GB PS3, they feared it'd eat too much HD space. The game is freaking huge.

So what'd you think of that last twist at the end?

Okay wait people have beaten this already?

Heh, I've been home visiting with family for Father's Day... no time to rush through it. I just got to South America.

Speaking of which I'm really digging these location names. The Middle East, South America... like those are specific places. :) And I love how everyone speaks perfect English. Makes me wish I lived in the Metal Gear universe... I'd rock out at geography.