Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Kiyosuki

Didn't you hear the sony E3 press conference? They said that MGS4 isn't only exclusive for the ps3. It's also only possible on the ps3 and only in part because of bluray. Plus you would need 12 disks.

mgs4xbox360oj1.png

I'm pretty sure since they had so much space, they didn't work terribly hard on making efficient use of it. They probably used super-high quality lossless audio for a lot of the voice and cinema tracks that they could squeeze way down and sound very close to as good. Video could probably squashed a lot too. I bet they could get it within 4 DVD's if not 2.

oh, and swapping discs 4 times is way better than waiting on 4 10 minute installs.

I'm pretty sure since they had so much space, they didn't work terribly hard on making efficient use of it. They probably used super-high quality lossless audio for a lot of the voice and cinema tracks that they could squeeze way down and sound very close to as good. Video could probably squashed a lot too. I bet they could get it within 4 DVD's if not 2.

oh, and swapping discs 4 times is way better than waiting on 4 10 minute installs.

Wishful thinking.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, I've been thinking. First off, this post has a lot of spoilers in it. Just letting you know.

Just how much of this game was planned before it was put into production? Do you remember the first MGS4 commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlHQfE7-N0s

Ok... Maybe the second trailer.

If you ask me, I think the graphics are better in this trailer than the game.

Let's analyze this. In this trailer, snake already has the eyepatch before he even meets the MkII.

He took out a pmc soldier and then took his gun. The gun didn't even have an ID lock on it! And that's a huge part of the game!

The Solid Eye has a button rather than a switch. (7:49)

This obviously takes place in Act I... Even though there are several things different. But we see snake with the syringe when in the game snake doesn't get it until act II when he meets Naomi. Plus, the symptoms for snake don't even start till the end of Act I which hasn't happened yet.

So what's your take on it guys? Why wasn't there anything planned before production started?

um it was a trailer?

Just because there are inconsistencies between the trailer and the final product doesn't mean that there was no planning

the purpose of a trailer is to get you to want to get the game (I think I just confused myself) not to reveal everything about the game to you.

My load times were like this:

First install: 8 minutes

Act 1 install: 3 minutes

Act 2 install: 4 minutes

Act 3 install: 3 minutes

Act 4 install: 3 minutes

Act 5 install: 2 minutes

The load times depend on how much content that had to be loaded. And you can tie that directly to the length of each act.

Still, the game was awesome, and no, they'll never port it to 360. I'm kinda getting put off by these people who are all hoping for MGS4 on 360. Sorry guys, but the 360 doesn't have the PS3's power.

Oh, and before anyone gets all fanboy on me and turns me into barbequed forum poster, I have PS3, 360 and Wii. I enjoy playing all three systems, and despite any flaws they may or may not have, I will continue to enjoy them, and am tired of the constant fanboyism.

Anyway, that's all.

I can't remember where it was said but I distinctively remember Kojima mentioning in an interview that the game changed a lot from it's early development to the finished product. Maybe the one Gametrailers made...I can't remember.

I loved this game, though I thought act 3 should have been a bit longer and the climax was a bit anti-climatic. Otherwise though it was great, especially for anyone who followed it since the very first game. It kind of has a fittingly sad ending, but it's a good feeling to have been with something until it's end. I hope this is the end of the Solid series at least.

I can't say what's up with the new trailer.

Did anyone here play MGO at all? Or do any of you still?

I can't remember where it was said but I distinctively remember Kojima mentioning in an interview that the game changed a lot from it's early development to the finished product. Maybe the one Gametrailers made...I can't remember.

I loved this game, though I thought act 3 should have been a bit longer and the climax was a bit anti-climatic. Otherwise though it was great, especially for anyone who followed it since the very first game. It kind of has a fittingly sad ending, but it's a good feeling to have been with something until it's end. I hope this is the end of the Solid series at least.

I can't say what's up with the new trailer.

Did anyone here play MGO at all? Or do any of you still?

Why did you think it was anticlimatic? Remember to put spoiler tags in your response if you care to answer.

Why did you think it was anticlimatic? Remember to put spoiler tags in your response if you care to answer.

It's not really necessary but if you insist.

I don't think there's a spoiler tag on this board so it's colored white. ->It wasn't anything with the story, it's just that the last act gameplay wise felt pretty low key. Once you fight your way into the ship, and fight Mantis...the game is basically over. Yeah you run up that ramp, and have that fist fight with Ocelot but that's really more of an interactive cut-scene than anything.

I'm not the kind of guy that needs over the top everything, but this was the final part of a massive epic and gameplay wise it felt pretty low key. Especially after the end of act 4.<-

It's not really necessary but if you insist.

I don't think there's a spoiler tag on this board so it's colored white. ->It wasn't anything with the story, it's just that the last act gameplay wise felt pretty low key. Once you fight your way into the ship, and fight Mantis...the game is basically over. Yeah you run up that ramp, and have that fist fight with Ocelot but that's really more of an interactive cut-scene than anything.

I'm not the kind of guy that needs over the top everything, but this was the final part of a massive epic and gameplay wise it felt pretty low key. Especially after the end of act 4.<-

I don't know, as impossible as it seems, I think that the end fight of act 5 was even more epic than the end fight of act 4. And yea, 5 did seem short. But it gave me a chance to hold up and pat down a FROG. That was really funny when you tried to knock her out by crunching something that isn't there.