Ghost In the Shell. Where do I start?

Nautilus

First film, second film, Stand Alone Complex, SAC 2nd gig.

That's about it as fas as I'm aware for Ghost in the Shell...

Dunno what to recommend to you at the moment however.

Then the SAC Movie: Solid State Society. (IIRC)

AFAIK, that's the complete set except for the vid games which I wouldn't recommend.

I started with the first series and haven't regretted it. In terms of recommendations, both of the series are good. I think I liked the first one more, though I may be biased because of the crazy long wait time between the last few subbed eps of 2nd GIG.

Innocence wasn't that great, and while I haven't seen the first film, it doesn't seem too appealing. I'll watch SSS eventually.

Well, the first two movies are done by different people than the TV shows and the third movie, and are almost completely different from one another. You can watch the movies and the TV series completely independent of each other.

I would recommend watching everything. And then reading the manga and finding out how Motoko was really supposed to act :P

also, lesbians

I'd say watch the original movie first (not necessary, but it is a classic and was there first). The watch the SAC, 2nd Gig and Solid State Society. Personally, the GitS tv series is one of my favorites. And if you feel like it you can watch the Innocence movie, but it really is just a big disappointment.

Well, the first two movies are done by different people than the TV shows and the third movie, and are almost completely different from one another. You can watch the movies and the TV series completely independent of each other.

I would recommend watching everything. And then reading the manga and finding out how Motoko was really supposed to act :P

also, lesbians

Yeah, what he said. You can start with either the first movie or SAC, just try not to get the two storylines crossed :3

The first two movies are completely separate from the SAC line. They follow the manga (which is a good read, btw) and are the canon storyline of GitS. SAC is a spin-off of sorts with its two television series along with it's equally awesome movie. They share names for things while being completely different so make sure you know what you're watching and pay attention. It's great stuff, but it's easy to get confused with two different puppet masters, different Motoko/Batou situation, etc etc.

I actually don't like the SAC series. I prefer the movies more because they follow the story of the manga a little more than SAC. However, I really liked Solid State Society even if it was very confusing at times compared to the first 2 movies.

Edit: I quess what I am trying to say is watch the movies first then, if you like them alot, check out the SAC series.

I guess this seems like a good time to ask. SAC2 doesnt air here, and I havent bought the dvds yet. Is SSS closely related enough to the series that I should watch the episodes first, or does it work fine as a stand alone movie? [that pun is not intentional, I just can't think of a better way to say it.]