OCR00785 - Xenogears "Taming of the Skies"

orkybash

Xenogears 'Taming of the Skies'

Well, i'm finally getting around to getting the reviews started for these latest songs. This definitely does justice to the original from Xenogears (God, i swear that game has the best flight music!) I've been hearing grumbling about the quality of recent remixes, but folks, if the rule is becoming that the overall quality is less-than-good, then this is clearly an exception. Highly recommended.

• 6 months later...

I haven't heard the song in a long time~ but I do remember liking it a lot lot lot. ^^;

It's just makes you feel like you're soaring free... oO; which~ I guess is the whole point of the song. ^^;

But yeah, I like it mucho- it reminds me of David Holsinger's "To Tame the Perilous Skies". Both are awesome compositions~ ^^;

Kuu~uudos!

• 3 years later...

Yeah, this being from Xenogears, I'm rather suprised at the lack of reviews. Brief, but solid stuff for its time from Evan. Doesn't sound very realistic, but at the same time the samples were used well. Ending felt too sudden.

The arrangement of course has a good amount of personalization and creativity, but I was disappointed that it didn't play off of the source melody more, as "Wings" is actually pretty good. A shame Evan's no longer a regular in the community.

• 1 year later...

One of my favorite original source songs from a fantastic soundtrack, this mix is pretty well done, with a good deal of interpretation. The percussion is probably my favorite part of this one, with some nice rolls an some beautiful chimes. The ending is a point of contention, as it just seems to run out of gas..not a good thing to do when you are a flight theme. You'd want a nice safe landing i'd think.

Still good enough to have had a home on my playlist for several years now. :-)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not much I can say about this song; great production, smooth sound, interesting, and different from the source. The source did not stand out to me as anything special in comparison with the rest of the soundtrack and this remix echoes that feeling. Good remix, but it makes little impression because of the less than impressionable source.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This mix has the same mood as the Hidden Palace zone from Sonic and Knuckles. That plus the driving percussion equals pretty cool overall general feel to this mix. Short yet grand, this definitely feels like the theme for the beginning of some great quest. At the least, it's really worth a listen.

• 4 months later...

It's amiable listening today, but I can very much imagine that this would have been a much bigger deal when it first hit way back when. The samples are actually still pleasant to listen to, but they have dropped out of the 'realism' category long ago. The arrangement, whilst being reasonably flexible and delivers some nice touches, doesn't really say enough about the source that I haven't heard before.

It's a great source, and indeed, I think this mix does it justice. However, with what's here and at the length that it is, I just can't get enthusiastic about it. Yeah, it's more than a midi cover with a drumline (and a great drumline, I might add), but this still feels like it wasn't fleshed out to meet its full purpose.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00785 - Xenogears "Taming of the Skies"