hard drive file transfer

So I got my new hard drive, but I would like a way to transfer all the data (files, folders, registry, windows config if possible) onto the new drive. Is it possible to do? Do I need a special program? If I DO have to install windows on the new drive, can I still copy the config files?

This is the hard drive that windows got corrupted on, by the way. I tried doing a system repair on it, but several files were un-replaceable. However, I have full access to all data on the drive other than those files, it seems.

Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools does that, I think, because I seem to recall using that to ghost my Media drive to a new drive before swapping the jumpers and doing a reformat. That occurred when my 20GB crashed several years ago and I had no way to boot into Windows to do this normally, and the new drive was twice the capacity of my Media drive.

1) Install Windows on new drive

2) look at your old hard drive for files that you ACTUALLY NEED. (Basically everything in My Documents)

3) Try to reinstall programs you need too. (You can just copy over some programs, but most others have files in multiple locations (ie. Registry, System folders, ect,), so try to reinstall rather than copy.

4) Copy settings from old HDD. (You can copy over the settings and config for programs into the same directory on the new HDD.)

Post back or PM my if you need anymore help!

3) Try to reinstall programs you need too. (You can just copy over some programs, but most others have files in multiple locations (ie. Registry, System folders, ect,), so try to reinstall rather than copy.

This is the part that most people don't want to deal with. It's a big hassle, and sometimes you don't even have the original discs or install files anymore. There's gotta be a way to transfer file associations, registry associations, etc. without totally messing stuff up.

Taken from: G4

--------------------------------------------------

Intermediate

A relocator program merges data from your old hard drive onto the new hard drive. It leaves the new operating system intact but moves your network settings, programs, and other data. Even though I said not to move programs over to the new drive, a relocator will move all the necessary registry keys for you. If you find that the programs don't operate as intended after transferring them over, just install a fresh copy on the new drive. We recommend Alohabob's PC Relocator.

Alohabob PC Relocator ($29.95) helps you transfer all your data and programs without overwriting your operating system. Just connect the PCs with the provided cable and launch Alohabob's software to transfer the data. If your PCs are already on a network, you won't need to connect anything.

If you have Windows XP configured on a new computer or hard drive, then you don't need to buy anything. XP comes with the Files and Settings Transfer program, which migrates data from your old PC or hard drive. However, you won't be able to move programs with this program.

--------------------------------

As you can see, there are applications that can do what I understand you are trying to do, assuming you can't reinstall the programs, but it costs money... :`(

I hope this helps, as Dhsu is right about it being a hassle, however it is the easiest solution.

BTW, I like your mixes Dhsu : )

The people above me are correct- Norton Ghost can copy entire hard drives and settings (If they're intact, of course.). However, if your copy of Windows got corrupted, you'll probably need to take the long route described above.

There's no way you can copy (most) installed programs between drives. Doing so would require isolating the registry values that are linked to the installed programs, most of which exist in hexadecimal format, and are pretty much impossible to find. If you DID know where those keys were, (and you'd want to be DAMNED sure they were the right ones...) in theory, all you'd have to do is export those keys, transfer them, and import them into the new drive's registry.

Now, if you have a program like, say, Winamp version 2.95, which only utilizes the registry for file type association, (So that any .mp3 files open in Winamp) those copy without any problem whatsoever. But if you're talking a game, like Counter Strike... Reinstall it.

Uh, yeah. Stick with reinstalling things. Much less headache that way. Trust me, you don't want to dig through the CLSID key. >_>

Well, when I went through to try to repair with the XP CD, I think I found most of the corrupted files. I'm thinking if I can copy the entire hard drive( Corrupted one - A) over (to HD B), then replace the corrupted files(from A) with good ones(from B), I should be fine. Theoretically.

Or, I could copy everything but the windows folder (from A) over(to B), then install a fresh copy of windows(on B), and then take the config files(from A) and use those(on B), I could use B as my new drives and reformat A for possible salvage.