OCR00786 - Mega Man 2 "Teardrinker"

orkybash

Uhh...I'm really not sure about the strings here. It almost reminds me of muzak that was layed over the original NSF of the Bubble Man music, and the strings seem to be paying vague attention to what's going on in the melody. I like the idea here, but the background seems to really drown out the melody and kind of add a cheesier effect to the whole thing. It's still very interesting and well done, just not my cup of tea...

I love this piece. It makes me wish Bubbleman got his own game- a heartwrenching RPG where he broods and meets Bubblegirl but she dies, so he broods more and kills some demons.

But I digress.

The chromaticism, that DJP mentions in his quip, is well placed towards the end, allowing for a nice buildup. Once you've become acclaimated to the new chord structure of this old, familiar tune, the chromatacism surprises you yet again.

Instrumentation is excellent. A beautiful blend of NSF sounding synths and chilling, bright piano along with warm, slow strings give the mix a full sound without being overpowering.

The deep, haunting drums maintain their power because of the restraint which this piece excersises.

Viscerally/ intelectually it's great all around. I love this unique and engaging ReMix.

I don't compose music, but I like to say I listen to it a lot.

I loved this remix. I think it is the best Bubble Man remix so far.

I don't understand anything about underlying drumb beats or anything of that sort, but I really enjoy the mixture here.

I don't see how the foreground and backgound don't match. Sure, they aren't the exact same notes, but when one is loud the other is loud, when one is slow, the other is slow. That's all I notice.

That's what I like.

Good work, wingless!!

This kind of reminds me a little bit of some minimalist stuff I've heard...like Steve Reich or something...only a little less repetitious.

I have to say though, that I really really like this mix. It asks a lot of you as a listener, being that there's so much going on, and you really have to pay attention to what it is that's going on to enjoy it.

It's almost like there's two songs, occuring simultaneously...

Great stuff, great stuff.

Took me about 30 seconds to realize how this worked, and about 45 more seconds to figure out how well it did. First, I have to say this one's not for everyone...if you don't like an FM synth, no matter how well it fits (I know many who don't), you'll absolutely hate this, and the was the tracks fit...I can't begin to describe. Listening to some of the tracks individually, as I'm sometimes wont to do (decomposing in my mind), I wondered how it all fit together seamlessly...and looking at it as a whole, I just thought 'whoa'. An exceptional job by The Wingless on this one; in my opinion, hands down the most intricate Bubbleman remix here.

This has to be one of the most re-listenable mixes on the site. The first time through the song may not impress you much, but if you give it another try, you will find it very deep, and it just gets better every time you listen to it. Excellent musical work by The Wingless, it takes a true musician to put up counter melodies and seemingly clashing notes and make them work correctly into a very rewarding piece every time you listen to it.

i liked it. my only gripe is that it feels too top-heavy with treble. i'm a bassaholic, so it's not something i can groove to per se...

but i really liked the dream-like ambience that this instills in me. it's something i could just sit back and chill to. i just wish there was some bass to balance it out.

I dont know what to think of this remix. It borderlines arhymic and sheer genius.

It doesn't seem to go anywhere which sorta bothers me. Sorta related to how I'm not a big trance person. Definately good mood music, but then again I dont know what mood it puts me in. . .

So unique I admire it. But yet I'm disturbed that it could be the product of less effort . . .

OR could it like be the creation of a new genre of music in itself?

I dont know. . . but its worth time to at the least analyze it.

What are you people talking about, this song sounds so epic in the begining, with good build up that seems to generate a few times. The cameo mega man sounds and everything appear. It's not too fast but not too slow, it does sound like two songs, and seems a bit disorganized. I dont like the 3min + of it just seems to get way off track. I do enjoy the begining and can listen to it over and over again.

• 4 weeks later...

This is one of the best Mega Man remixes I've ever heard. I love the pseudo-chiptune effect that plays the original parts of the song. He turns stage music from one of the most annoying stages in a Mega Man game (ugh I hate water stages with spikes all over the place) and turns it into an emotional listening experience. The strings at the beginning weren't exactly in my favor at first, but once the song started moving along, I realized exactly how much depth they provided. The timpani was a nice touch, also. You have to remember that this was a pretty complex song to start out with, so of course you add some guitar chords in the background, and throw in some liquidy sounding piano runs, and you've got yourself quite a bit of stuff going on. But if you concentrate on the melody, it's flawless. Minimal drums was the best route the wingless could have taken here. He captured the spirit of the original, gave it an essence of a watery feel, and just overall, blew any other Bubble Man mix out of the water (no pun intended). Never have I heard such a complex remix.

I liked this song so much I had to register on here so that I could tell anyone who has not downloaded this song to do so. This is my new favorite remix on the site (I would say it used to be Final Fantasy Prelude - Refractive Mix). This song is fantastic! Just get it and listen if you haven't yet.

• 5 months later...

i think the comparison was of the use of unusual harmonies, or harmonies that werent the traditional interpretation of the original. people are complaining about liberal interpretations in ZM, and they complained about it here. i happen to think that the people who are apprehensive about these different interpretations are listening conservatively. they know what they want to hear, and they wont hear anything else.

on to the mix: i'm not one to give out compliments easily or without warrant. this mix is incredible. its a sonic achievement. the harmony isnt what you usually get in a bubbleman mix, but it is better. This mix has fucking texture. the harmony works, and it conveys emotion better than most anything on the site. i especially like the interlude at around 2:05. the strings are wrenching. There is such a fantastic use of dynamics and layering. its organized chaos. we should be lucky if more remixers knew the value of dynamics as well as The Wingless.

• 3 weeks later...

Without applying rules to what a song should be, this one is definately emotive, fresh and has got a groove all of its own. Mr-turned-21, you've excelled again - I will continue to ignore bandwidth constraints in d/l'ing work from you for I am assured of its enjoyability. I really like your style. Please keep innovating on it.

DJP, you are and always will be the man, but what is chromatism or whatever...? This mix is good value.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey...you know that feeling when you first went to see your favorite movie and you walked out on awe. Or that time when you bought a CD, you listened to it and you were blown away. I got the same feeling listening to this track.... I have to agree with the others. YOu have to be insane not to download this amazing track.

10/10

• 3 weeks later...

This is, musically, the best remix on the site...and I have listened to them all. In fact, this might be the absolute best mix on the site but I know someone is going to blast me about subtle sound quality issues. For people who find themselves getting bored by the musical simplicity of many VG remixes, this mix was custom designed to your neural pathways. I'm a tough customer to be captivated by a mix - my idea of easy listening is John Coltrane in his early days. This arrangement is soooooooooooo ENTERTAINING. Seriously, I felt myself connecting with the artist...something that I rarely do with VG remixers. The Wingless is a guy who seems to be about the music first. This is a moving mix that manages to avoid sentimentality...perhaps I should write my posts more like The Wingless writes his tunes.

• 2 months later...

I haven't listened to this song for like 4 days, and 4 days ago it had a 92.5% rating in my head. But, then I decided to give it the honor of being the first mix to receive a 95% from me. Honestly, if I find anything better, I'm going to have to toughen up my rating system.....maybe even have to find an exact formula for what I shouls rate things. :)

Let me put that in big, bold letters for you.

THIS SONG IS THE BEST DAMN SONG I'VE EVER LISTENED TO!!!!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00786 - Mega Man 2 "Teardrinker"