The Simpsons Movie

The Pezman

Here's my thoughts. SPOILERS here but I've kept it as minimal as possible.

Now I'm a huge fan of the Simpsons, a really big fan. I do the whole whack, talk about subtext over the years, meaning, hidden character qualities, you name it. I remember episode names too, I'm such a dork. lol But anyways, although I have my fair share of gripes over some of the directions the show has taken over some of the years, with writers coming and going, I still watch it now. Call it habit, but I can still casually watch it even though sometimes I wish some things were different. But this really is a big part of our generation, its not just a comedy cartoon really, its (or was really) a full blown caricature of the human condition with all its humorous oddities, and even some complexities in there.

Of course like a lot of people, I wish that some of the writers would look at how multi layered this show was at its best, to see what made it really good, but I don't like to linger on whining. Maybe I'm just easygoing. But one thing I can say about this movie is that it did have some of that substance in the humor, satire, writing, and even sincere drama (something the show's had a huge problem with lately.) It also did have a lot of the overobnoxious, nonsensical physical comedy that irritates old time fans, you could really see how different the writers' comedy writing styles were since many who haven't worked on the show in a long time worked on this movie.

So its kind of a movie with multiple personality disorder as far as comedy goes. Surprisingly, my theater laughed at very few of the over-the-top gags like the wrecking ball, but the more subtle things and downright sly dialogue that was very old style got quite a few roars. Thats really where the comedy is at, we can only hope they learn from it. This last season was a little better than the other ones these past few years so you never know.

But the obnoxious stuff mostly came from Homer of course, and you know in a way...the movie kind of critisizes how over the top he is. Almost like it "de-jerkass-ifies" him so he's sorta better in the last part. To me, the movie was all about how this obnoxious man's actions affected -everyone- else. Thats where the real heart of the story was. Homer was just the catalyst to last the film.

So really, its a big mishmash of lots of things but there was some greatness in there, some "now THIS is the Simpsons" that really made it worth it. And it was just beautiful to look at. I love the supporting cast and it was kinda bittersweet you saw so little of them, but its understandable too. They all had a great moment in there, Wiggum's my favorite character so I'm just glad he got that scene with the bomb-robot. My friends and I had fun seeing it. Those who are dead set on hating the Simpsons are probably not going to accept it, but its got more substance to it than the show itself has had in quite a while. So it had some things strict traditionalists will scoff at, but it also had some surprisingly great moments.

Oh and Bart's... thing. You know maybe its a satire. Think about it, so many are making a huge deal over a little squiggly line that probably took the animator who drew him there half a second to draw. Whether its casual people who can't believe it, or stingy oldtime fans whining about it. Maybe thats why they did it, to poke at us. I mean, is it really honestly ^that^ big of a deal? Looking at it like that, its the kind of nudity the show has used before.

I have to admit that maybe we could have done without Alaska. Considering how much was going on they paced it surprisingly well I thought, but I can't help but wonder if it would have been better if they kept it all in Springfield. Similar plot, similar outcome, just minus Alaska.

Also, I guess Spider-Pig bit the dust, It was kind of odd how it just dissapeared considering how much the damn pig was hyped.

The not so happy part of the ending.

spiderpigoj8.jpg

I really enjoyed the movie but at the same time I wasn't expecting much from it. I wasn't sure if the translation from tv show to film was going to work out. However, after I watched the movie, I thought it actually did a good job. It had that same Simpsons feel but only on a bigger screen and with a longer story.

http://www.animeremix.org/competitions/Simpsons_Tribute/download.php?song=xaleph_simpsons.mp3

I was thinking of remixing it to sound something like this.

I'm hoping to actually see this movie this Saturday. Not sure if I'll bring my son though. I love that Green Day mix btw - thought it was pulled off pretty well (though I wish they made something a little more creative).

It was kind of odd how it just dissapeared considering how much the damn pig was hyped.

I stayed for the credits, hoping that the pig would show up there. I figured they kept him out of the 2nd half only to play a "gotcha" moment on the audience in the credits as many movies are wont to do. But nope. He was gone. And I was a little upset/annoyed.

I stayed for the credits, hoping that the pig would show up there. I figured they kept him out of the 2nd half only to play a "gotcha" moment on the audience in the credits as many movies are wont to do. But nope. He was gone. And I was a little upset/annoyed.

There was a scene with Spiderpig in the original cut but it was vut from the film. Spiderpig will return in the first episode of the new season.

There was a scene with Spiderpig in the original cut but it was vut from the film. Spiderpig will return in the first episode of the new season.

Yeah. Apparently there was a crapload of scenes cut from this, either not finished or actually finished but cut at the last minute. Some of those scenes include:

-Scene with angry mob going to the DMV, its that scene you see Patty and Selma credited for in the credits, although its not there. There was even a clip of it at IGN.

-Marge originally went to Reverend Lovejoy to talk about Grampa going crazy, but it was replaced with the Comic Book Guy scene because they felt it lasted too long. This was also somewhat animated.

-The scene where the entire town runs the Simpsons out of town was massively redone from the original animatics released.

-When the Simpsons are on the run from EPA there was originally a chase scene with them in a truck, throwing Egyptian antiques at pursuing EPA in a tunnel.

-Springfield's breakdown was expanded a little more.

-The scene when Wiggum, Apu, and Hibbert run out of Burns' house is expanded.

-There's a scene right before the town blacks out where Krusty tries to comfort the scared kids in his audience. The director, David Silverman loved this scene.

-When Homer is on his way back to town to save everyone he hitches a ride on a truck delivering sausages. Brooks himself said it was the most regretable cut because its his favorite scene.

-You were supposed to see one more scene with the pig in the very end, to close that up.

-Kang was supposed to make a cameo appearance in the credits.

-The "Springfield Anthem" during the credits was supposed to have an animated scene.

-This one is just speculation, but at Comic-Con Matt said that he was glad Ralph could "open the movie and close the movie" since he's his favorite character. He sings the 20th Century Fox theme which is opening, but he does nothing in the end so some speculate maybe it was a cut he forgot about. He did mention in an earlier interview that Ralph had a somewhat big scene in the movie he really liked but there were no guarantees that it'd make the cut.

Also Sideshow Bob was slated to make a speaking cameo of some kind but that seems to have not happened. Also Minnie Driver and Erin Brockovich. Don't mind that so much though since the guest star count was just right really, I don't like it when they get too overboard.

I'm definitely getting the DVD just for a lot of this stuff alone. It'd be awesome if some of the more finished scenes were completed and included in the film. I especially like that Krusty scene, seeing some more of what happened in town in the meantime, and the anthem during the credits. The Krusty one in particular looks like it could have added some more weight to whats going on.