OCR00789 - Chrono Trigger "Temporal Distortion"

orkybash

Imagine this. The game : Chrono Break. Time : Opening cutscene.

This song starts playing and the first thing you see on the screen is the pendulum swing once, fade out to the Sony logo, the pendulum again, fade to Squaresoft logo. Then various cutscene from CT and CC, up until you hear the synth begin, from there start with concept drawings for settings like Zeal and such, then the Chrono Break title screen, then, just like the original CT showing animations from the new game itself until the end of the song.

I agree, this song is very CT-ish. 12/10!

• 5 months later...

I think this is awesome... but I'm going to give more reason then that.

Some might think it doesn't stand out. That it's hard to get into. Well, for those who think it's hard to get into... I don't really know what to say to you, other than to listen down to the percussion. It really kind of all follows from there... it'll suck you in.

But as to it standing out: it isn't that it has some particularly asskicking solos or new arrangements or vocals... it's about the experience. You need to listen to the details... it has a completely different feel from the original. ...for some reason, I envision the original as scales or fur being rubbed the right way, and this is what you get when you rub it backwards. It's like an inversion, stylistically. The other one was heroic and epic; this is more cool and artistic, and stylistic. There's something technological about it... maybe it's the seamlessness, maybe it's the percussion, but it isn't just the synths, you can be sure of that.

It's so ambient... so smooooth. Awesome job, Star! Others may have their opinions, and this may be the type of song you have to listen carefully to to enjoy the subtleties, but it really is great.

To me, the best way to describe it may be in terms of color: constantly shifting, plasma green stars in the sky on a black background. Dark greys and Dark Blacks with hints of green and brown moving back and forth on the bottom. That main synth is DEFINITELY green... the percussion is what gives it the silvery grey. The strings provide the brown, and everything else melds together into the infinitely deep, cool, smooth black.

Just my thoughts.

To me, the best way to describe it may be in terms of color: constantly shifting, plasma green stars in the sky on a black background. Dark greys and Dark Blacks with hints of green and brown moving back and forth on the bottom. That main synth is DEFINITELY green... the percussion is what gives it the silvery grey. The strings provide the brown, and everything else melds together into the infinitely deep, cool, smooth black.

i found that quite insightful with a hint of hilarity

btw i love the mix...been on my playlist since i first heard of this site...never got around 2 postin a review :?

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I still am trying to figure out how I never ran across star's mixes until I listened to Pillar Of Salt for Xeno.

All I can say is I'm about halfway through Star's playlist and I'm constantly being wowed by the attention to detail, and the overal creamy smoothness of the music. Star, you definately have my vote for one of my top favorite remixers to listen to.

• 2 months later...

Ok fast forward to 2:28 - Right there was the moment I knew I loved this song. The piano, hitting the chord twice each time at the end of the theme - BRILLIANT, ABSOLUTELY FANTABULOUS!!!!!!!

I'm not even kidding, the fact that the last part of the theme was reiterated that one time - that one swift stroke of genius by the hand of Star Salzman - absolutely made this song. For me anyway. Oyeah and the rest was pretty cool too, I like the humming violins starting at 1:39, but they cannot compare to the piano part at 2:28.

Seriously y'all, listen up, learn this, big up yourselves. BOOYAKAHSHA.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

As Ziwtra posted before... great skills here, amazing arranging, expounding on the originals beauty... but really Star..your skills are going to waste on remixes... you really should be making music for games or movies or something, doesn't matter if youre 13 or 30, go get a damn music job and have fun with that shit, and POST EVERYTHING HERE!!!! this is a great song, i see it as a very elaborate remastering almost... amazing job star.. and as they say, keep it up yous!

• 3 months later...
Hey, this isn´t half-bad! Altough I feel that there is a bit TOO much going

on in some parts.

I can imagine how dude Salzman really wanted it to be perfect

but in Sweden we would call it "brötigt"...

Jag vet inte riktigt vad du menar med det här, själv låter det inte för överdrivet, det finns ju alltid några beats som låter hela tiden, men den här mixen är ju ändå toppenbra. Förresten, från vilken del från Sverige är du? Jag har ALDRIG hört ordet "brötigt". Jag tror du syftar på grötigt, det låter förnuftigare för mej.

For the rest of you guys who don´t speak swedish, I rally thought that this was a great mix. I am an orchestral fan myself, but it was a cool thing that Salzman here combined it with electronica to make somrehing new and groovy if I can say. It didn´t get wild, but that´s okay, we all love relaxing remixes too, aren´t we? Eh? Eh? :D

• 2 years later...

Man, I never posted on this song, but this was one of my old favorites from my early days here that somehow got lost in the shuffle. I probably haven't heard this since I played it on VGF many years ago. Great arrangement that holds up very well today with the trademark Star sounds and flavor. Definitely one to grab for the conservative arrangement that has its own voice.

• 1 year later...

Amazing. I can't freaking believe how much life was breathed into this theme; one that is quite tired due to overuse. It's electric, it's up and dancing. IT'S ALIVE!

Star does his usual big, bursting-at-the-seams delivery which I love above all else and keeps things pretty loud and furious. I mean, it's not like the concept of this piece hasn't been attempted before, but it's the little things that push this up into the stratosphere. The drums, the restrained orchestral backing, the unrelenting momentum. There is so much freshness brought to the table, and I'm such a fan of it.

This may just be the definitive version of this theme. Very impressive.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00789 - Chrono Trigger "Temporal Distortion"