OCR00792 - Donkey Kong Country "Stray Donkey Strut"

orkybash

Well my friends...DJ Pretzel has kicked our asses yet again with another fucking brilliant mix. This just rocks. The instruments are perfect, and the mixage is tight. Easily one of Pretzel's best. Easily one the sites best.

Why are you reading my review? You saw who made this mix. You should be downloading it now. :D

I wouldn't say that this is one of the site's best, but it's a damn good remix. I'm not sure about the idea to combine those funky keyboards with big band, but it seems to work decently enough. The big thing I like are all those solos that really sounded like they were improvised. They just sounds perfectly...err...human, as weird as it sounds. The arrangement is really an awesome job on DJP's part, and it's one of his best overall...definitely one to check out.

Man, i swear to god, DJP must be deaf if he doesn't like this remix ;)

It has a nice feel unique feel to it, but yet, at the exact same time, it clearly sounds like a DJP creation. Not the best remix on the side, but regardless, it's still pretty damn good.

Great job DJP. Now if we could get OCR in .ape it would make my day... :)

This is a good remix, it's not one of my favorites, nor is it what I'd consider one of djp's best. Appropraite soundfonts/patches/voices...etc etc... 10/10 appropriate rhythm 10/10 overall affect, I felt it just became tedious/monotonous after a while, it lost my attention after around 2 minutes, it's a good piece, sounds like something we'd play in my jazz band, but it just sounded to... it just didn't seem dynamic in the way it progressed. 8/10

overall would be around a 9.33/10

Good piece, recommended download if you like jazzy/funk pieces, if you like the song from the vg, or if you just like djp :D (my reason :P)

~dj carbunk1e

I just.. can't.. stop listening to this one!!

Aye yai yai!! I love the variety of instruments, all well arranged as to where none of them are out of place and alows the music to take over. He didn't even have to take very much out of the original track, either, as brilliant solos do most of the dirty work when the main theme tries to bore us. Hook line and sinker, I'm drawn into this amazing peice of work.

DJP, you have to stop being so hard on yourself. You know you're great. You don't have to break your arm patting yourself on the back, but at least get someone else to review your work. You're depressing, that is until we download and evaluate for ourselves. We love your work! It reminds me of the girls at my school. They have to be SOOOO perfect, or they cry all day and become anorexic (which is their ultimate undoing) when in fact if they want attention from people, all they have to do is show up at school with their natural healthy frame. :) :)

10/10/10

This is excellent. To be honest it is not exactly my cup of tea musically, but you simply have to admire the construction and execution of the piece. The sounds are also extremely good and well used. I can dig this, it just won't be something I listen to over and over everyday. But when I do listen, I will admire the professional sound and style of the song.

When I fisrt heard the "wah" I was immediately reminded of DJP's older days. That's cool. DJP is very versatile, but he's not above using a style, sound or technique more than once.

Yeah.. it IS very cool. Pretzel is definitely one of the best remixers here. I have to agree with Joe above, though. I think you can hear it's DJP's work from the first note. His latest works has been sorta similar (and I love them all). The electric piano is DJP's trademark. But also, take a listen to the drums, and compare them with the drums of Super Mario World SwankyVegas. Heheh, pretty similar, no? Even the basslines are very alike :)

Don't take this for criticism. Like I said, DJP is one of my favourites here. Love Hurts, Pachelbels Ganon, SwankyVegas, and my all time favourite on this site: Actraiser FillMoreFunk, are all EXTREMELY good.

But also, take a listen to the drums, and compare them with the drums of Super Mario World SwankyVegas. Heheh, pretty similar, no? Even the basslines are very alike :)

Yes and no. It's the same drum kit, different bass patches, both acoustic uprights. If the notes themselves sound similar, consider that they're not too far from the originals. The term "reusing" implies that it's not common to use the same sound twice in two different songs - it is. I don't particularly consider that it's an issue of being "above" this reuse - it's a matter of common sense. If you've got a jazz drum kit that sounds like a good jazz drum kit, and you do two jazz pieces, why would you arbitrarily force yourself to switch to a different kit? With purely electronic timbres I can see the need to switch more as they have no real-world counterparts and are often so ubiquitous it's scary (see the FL bass drum + snare combo for reference) but for acoustic emulations, if it's the closest you've got, use it. I think the overall feel of the piece is markedly different - no synthetic textures in Swanky, and no brass or big-band feel (in general, less "swing"). But I didn't reply to defend the song, just the practice of reusing good sounds, esp. acoustic emulations :)

update: hope that didn't sound bitchy, just trying to make a point - IMO, it's always best to do what's right for that specific track.

I really like how this song more or less sticks to the old school Donkey Kong theme while at the same time kicking it up with the jazzy percussion. They're coupled really well, giving the entire remix a shady, but upbeat and entirely interesting atmosphere.

Good lord. This is the kind of remix that makes me love this site.

Everything about it, the mix of instruments, the variation of the orginal theme, the dynamics, and the ideas put forth in the solos are all done in grand fasion. I love the jazz flute in the begining, as well as DJP's opening variation on the main theme at 00:56. The way this is written I could acctually see a big band playing this.

My only negative comment is in the first solo from 2:08 to about 2:17. I can hear the use of a jazz scale in this short little clip, and the way it is used just sounds too simple for my tastes, as if DPJ didn't really know how to go about a jazz solo except for what was contained in the jazz scale, and that maybe he had hit a few wrong notes. This is of course totally false, as the rest of the solo, and the piano solo that follows are top quality. It's only a 9 second blemish in the whole mix, but when something is this good, one must dig deep to find faults.

Again, great mix, and one of my favs from the site.

My only negative comment is in the first solo from 2:08 to about 2:17. I can hear the use of a jazz scale in this short little clip, and the way it is used just sounds too simple for my tastes, as if DPJ didn't really know how to go about a jazz solo except for what was contained in the jazz scale, and that maybe he had hit a few wrong notes. This is of course totally false, as the rest of the solo, and the piano solo that follows are top quality. It's only a 9 second blemish in the whole mix, but when something is this good, one must dig deep to find faults.

Heheh.. I love that solo. I'm not too familiar with jazz scales, though (I wish I was). I think it adds a certain "jungley" touch to the song. Like something heard in King Louie's palace. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00792 - Donkey Kong Country "Stray Donkey Strut"