OCR00792 - Donkey Kong Country "Stray Donkey Strut"

orkybash

This is an excellent remix from start to finish, beginning with the pumping bass beat that is reminiscent of an actual cello/bassist playing, and the trippy, lead semi-spacy pianoy sound, whatever it is...works perfectly. The whole ensemble just comes together like clockwork. Truly a perfect piece...and I LOVE that badass guitar solo!!! Oh yeah, gotta dig that jazzy bebop beat. 8)

• 2 months later...

Good stuff, Pretz. I'm a little dissappointed because I really wanted to do a remix on the Jungle Japes theme. Oh well, heck with it. It's a great song. Since it's late in my area of time, I'll just say one thing. If you like old Fats Waller tunes from 1930s that's super old but with lots and lots of instrument variation, download this!

• 2 weeks later...

I liked it when I first heard it, but its true power didn't get unleashed until I started to make steps in DWI for it. At some point I just kept on playing it...over and over again. Everything's good sounding up until 1:13 when it turns into TOTALLY AWESOME and then becomes one of my favorites from djp at 1:49 and keeps this way until 2:44 when the brass swells and I'm exploding eight times over.

The part at 1:49 I think is a variation of the original melody but I don't really remember the original fully. Variated or not, I have caught myself whistling that part randomly in the day with extreme enjoyment.

As I said earlier, making the steps made me like the song. It must have been the movement of my fingers on the arrow keys that made me think I was emulating djp jamming on the keyboard. It's a really good song to move to, but not necessarily with your whole body. I suggest tapping YOUR fingers to the rhythm and each time the attack of the notes occur!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The sheer mix of instruments here is commendable, but this piece is alltogether swingin! The DKC1 Jungle Theme is an epic theme indeed... it goes on and on, and just when you think you've heard it before, it seems to evolve... This piece would have to be about four more minutes longer to really get that, but nonetheless, it's a swining time in the jungle for all!

8/10

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Mr. Lloyd, you have a style in remixing that has yet to be matched or even emulated for that matter. A style which has sorta encouraged me to save up for a MOTIF7ES for myself. :D

I personally have never played a single Donkey Kong Country game, but after listening to 'Stray Donkey Strut', it doesn’t really matter if I did or not... because this remix is so frickin’ cool. All the instruments go together really well. I especially enjoy the use of piano under the brass swells, giving it, as you said, that “old time pomp feel”. That’s the way to use a low piano, in my opinion. Very Elfman-like, and very jazzy. It makes me smile when I listen to it. Definitely one that I’ll keep in my collection, right alongside “ Diddy Evolution.”and such.

Very nice work going on here. Thumbs up! oh... god no! I just made an Ebert & Roeper reference. I have to bang my head really hard on my desk now.

"thud" :oops:

• 7 months later...

Great remix!

I love the first minute and a half or so, I love when djp uses his "wah wah" sounding instruments, his sorta bubbly-ish instrument. I love it and I love his jazzy sorta ways, the kinda music you listen to when playing pool. I don't know what it's called but do you know what I mean? Yeah and I love how he changes the melody around to these jumpy, jazzish, improvised tunes!

The flute goes along so well in this song!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Agent 000 Donkey, we meet again... :nicework:

That´s my opinion where this funky tune would fit perfectly, mmyess.

Great remix pretzeldude, some nice funky brasses and a cool spy synth, along with a sub-tropical feel, I like it. It was time for the mönkey to leave his jungle anyway.

And what more do we have, ah, a lovely piano at the end with the whole package to finish it off smooth, agent donkey style.

Until we meet again...

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Maybe it's just me, but the beginning build is pretty sweet. It just sounds like something big is coming, and it does. This is funkier than Funky Kong....and that pretty funky. The piano was a pretty nice little breakdown before the grand whooping section. Loud and proud, this ReMix is.

• 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00792 - Donkey Kong Country "Stray Donkey Strut"