I-35W bridge in Minneapolis collapsed.

Flik

This hits me hard as I'm in Minneapolis all the time, and I've been calling friends for a while making sure they were ok. Around 6:00pm today the I-35W bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River. Many cars plunged into the river, and a lot of people are injured and dead. That bridge is only 40 years old, and the god damn thing failed. My thoughts go out to everyone involved in this shit.

I'm a St. Paul guy, not Minneapolis, but this is still damn close to home. I was at work at the time, and a coworker's wife drives over that bridge every day at 6pm. Thank God she had to stay late to finish a project. No one I know was in the area at the time, but it still leaves me feeling on edge. And the DOT here doesn't exactly have the best track record with bridge work...

I was driving home down I-35 in Austin and came to a dead stop in an enormous traffic jam, so I cut over to the nearest exit and took another path home. When the first thing I saw here is "I-35 bridge collapsed," I certainly did a double take.

But yeah, that sucks.