Why was Chris Kline/Vertexguy rejected?

dragonwriter

I dunno. Maybe it has to do with the panel being full of disillusioned elitists who are a bit too concerned with nitpicking the technical aspects of submissions and using their big, bad musical brains to confound the common interest listener.

/judgehate

(P.S.: I love you guys soooooo much <<<<<<<<33333333)

Also, this image on his site is pretty ghey

chris_guitar_ani02.gif

Hmm.. some of these arrangements are pretty good, others are mainly covers. His guitar skills are amazing overall, though his overall production could use a little tweaking (the MIDI parts sound really lo-fi, and the mastering seems to lack any high end, though that could be the MP3 encoding). When I searched the Judges Decisions forum, I didn't see any reference to a Vertexguy or Chris Kline, so are we sure this guy actually submitted? If he just tweaked his production a bit and expanded his arrangements he'd have an excellent chance at making it on.

I dunno. Maybe it has to do with the panel being full of disillusioned elitists who are a bit too concerned with nitpicking the technical aspects of submissions and using their big, bad musical brains to confound the common interest listener.

This isn't a site for "common interest listeners." Haven't you figured that out yet? :lol:

The other Js wouldn't know about Chris because his submission was never paneled. For the record, Chris was a pretty cool guy when I talked to him via the Shizz forums. He submitted his mix back on June 16th, 2006. This was back before I was given responsibility for following up with form rejections, so it took until January to reply back to a slew of people within a week, including this sub. Nowadays, people receive form letters usually within hours, and usually 48 hours tops.

I found http://www.vertexguy.com recently, and his music is something I tend to hear on OCR. I asked him if he heard of this place, and he told me he submitted in the past and was rejected.

Why?

That's because he submitted this.

Textures aren't fleshed out, partly due to the percussion not filling out the space in the back and the perc writing being too simple. Arrangement-wise, mostly a cover but with some excellent soloing though over the chords of the original later on.

And yes, 51kbps.

I agreed with Cain that the FF2 (FF4?) Prelude was enjoyable but too much of a cover for the standards. David was too optomistic saying that it might have a shot when this plays it so straight. That just gives off the wrong idea. There's not enough original or interpretive material in here. The same principles apply for some of the other good covers available on Chris's site, like "Double Dragon Theme" and "Double Dragon M1 Jam", which are just short.

Before someone goes into how we hate people simply doing covers. We don't hate conservative covers at OCR, but we don't accept 'em. We're specifically going for something different.

If Chris wanted to get something on OCR, he should add more original and interpretive ideas and integrate them into the source material. Some people think the notion of doing that is stupid, but we've got rock arrangers doing this everyday, and no one's telling goat or housethegrate or ilp0 that they're asswipes for doing interpretive arrangements that aren't 1-for-1 covers.

And recruit Shawn Phase to perform the drums! The guy's amazing.

I agreed with Cain that the FF2 (FF4?) Prelude was enjoyable but too much of a cover for the standards. David was too optomistic saying that it might have a shot when this plays it so straight. That just gives off the wrong idea. There's not enough original or interpretive material in here.

I knew it wasn't very likely to pass, but it was the one I thought had the best chance, being the only one besides the Duke Nukem Jam that was over 2 minutes (of the ones that I downloaded anyway). There's also some stuff that pushes it beyond cover territory in my opinion, such as the original backing bass and drums, as well as the harmony guitar parts later on. The style itself is also pretty original...the Prelude hasn't really been done like this before to my knowledge. I dunno, I might be mistaken...there might be a dozen arrangements that sound exactly like vertexguy's, but I haven't heard them.

Yeah, the mix could stand to be 1-2 minutes longer with some expansion, but I just wanted to point out the positives.

Don't listen to Zircon or Liontamer. They are just panel n00bs.

This probably has more to do with it.

:P