Warcraft Live Action Movie Details

Atomicfog

Screw the Alliance. :P

From a literary perspective, the Horde would be so much more interesting to tell a story from. The WarCraft lore puts the Horde in a complex, ever-changing situation and struggle; something that's ultimately very humanizing. If there's one thing viewers can relate with, it's watching characters deal with a struggle on a massive scale.

And going by the WarCraft lore, the humans really aren't all that interesting unless you figure in all the stuff about the Stonemasons and Edwin VanCleef, and the occasional story about Uther's Paladins of the Silver Hand. The rest of it's rather dull, in my opinion. And the rest of the Alliance don't really have compelling stories to tell either, as far as I'm concerned, save for the Dwarves regarding the tales of their creation and perhaps the Draenei (which I doubt the latter will be in the movie at all).

I'm going to reserve further judgment until the movie gets more details, but I was sincerely hoping that Blizzard would either make the movie Horde centric or at least have both sides share the spotlight for a roughly equal amount of time.

Well remember folks, if it doesn't have a large enough amount of humans and plenty of Dawson's Creekesque moments littered throughout the movie, with uninspired and hectic action sequences where the REAL leads do nothing but product placement, then it's worthless as far as financial gain goes according to Hollywood.

Hey, hopefully it won't be as bad as Transformers.

Also:

I'm still wondering how they'll even get some of the races to work without cg, I guess there will be some uncomfortable costumes for some people. I kind of want to see trolls, but I have a feeling they won't be there much.

I'll put some faith into them though and see if I get disapointed.

Muppets.

I'm still wondering how they'll even get some of the races to work without cg, I guess there will be some uncomfortable costumes for some people. I kind of want to see trolls, but I have a feeling they won't be there much.

Wait, I missed the part where "live-action" meant "no CGI whatsoever"

With Marlon Wayans and Cameron Diaz!

I hope you realize that they aren't shooting for big-name actors for this movie, they even said so in that article. In fact, I would wager they might aim for new talent. It would be very cool, in fact, if they reached out into the WoW community to fish for some fresh voice actor talent.

Still, a WoW movie? It doesn't surprise me that they're attempting to do this. What will be VERY surprising is its reception at its release. We'll see what happens I suppose.

I hope you realize that they aren't shooting for big-name actors for this movie, they even said so in that article. In fact, I would wager they might aim for new talent. It would be very cool, in fact, if they reached out into the WoW community to fish for some fresh voice actor talent.

Still, a WoW movie? It doesn't surprise me that they're attempting to do this. What will be VERY surprising is its reception at its release. We'll see what happens I suppose.

That might be cool if they were, you know, looking for voice actors in the first place.

If you've seen some of the prosthetics they've used in Pan's Labrynth, I wouldn't be surprised at all by what they *might* be able to pull. Then again, that was an incredible movie to compare to..

Hmm, not that I was ever looking forward to this, but I'm dissapointed that the story is about the events around Warcraft 3 (possibly minus the undead, which was probably the most interesting part), rather than the great backstories of Warcraft 1 and 2. The whole Warcraft universe seemed so dark and interesting until a bunch of purple elves and talking bulls showed up :cry:

I sincerely hope the movie will focus heavily on the Orcs and demons, and their past and present struggles against each other. The story of, for instance, the dark portal, or how the Lich King came to be, have a huge amount of potential to give the movie a dark/serious tone. If they choose to bring in all the Night Elf lore, and all the Human lore, and the High Elf lore, then the movie will just be a twisted mess of confusion. I'd much rather watch a "Curse of the Black Pearl"-eque backstab-fest between all the big orc and demon players - though it'd be played out more through war/battles than anything else. Hmm, since the Alliance is in the spotlight, they'd be wise to focus somewhat on that guy who opened the dark portal in the first place.

Though I'll admit, the whole story of Illidan vs Arthas vs those demon guys in WC3 would make good movie materal. But they said they probably won't include the undead, so that's pretty much out the window. They'd better include WC2 death knights though, or at least some form of frighteningly powerful magic wielded by the "bad guys". The orcs just aren't a compelling race without all the evil powers, or at least the rich history of said powers. Non-demonic orcs and Taurens would make pitiful antagonists.

Most likely what will be happening is Warcraft 1 and 2 will be summed up in 10 minutes at the start and then referred to several times afterwards, much like the defeat of Sauron in "Fellowship of the Ring". I'm more concerned about the movie's story than anything else - if it's an entertaining story, I don't really care what's in it. But if they just take the Night Elf and Human stories from WC3.... it won't be a good story.

Oh yes, this post is coming from one of those people who won't touch WoW with a 10 foot pole. I did play through WC3's campaign, but it seems all the events from WC1 up until the start of WC3 (i.e. including the backstory in the WC3 manual) was so much more interesting than the stuff that actually happened during WC3's campaign. What I'm REALLY hoping is that they don't expect the audience to know all about WoW's backstory, and that they don't leave out WC1 and 2 because they happened too long ago in the past.

Hmm, not that I was ever looking forward to this, but I'm dissapointed that the story is about the events around Warcraft 3 (possibly minus the undead, which was probably the most interesting part), rather than the great backstories of Warcraft 1 and 2.

uhhh :?:

Metzen said that the team originally thought about encapsulating the events of the first Warcraft game into the film, but eventually moved away from that idea. One reason is that he realized that most people are familiar with the world of Warcraft through, well, World of Warcraft.

With that in mind, Metzer says the film will take place a year before the events in World of Warcraft began. He said the story will use main plotpoints of those events, wrapped up into a two-hour film.

I actually want to play WoW, but I know I'll lose myself in it very quickly. I even get addicted to 3D pinball in Windows...

Also, the movie sounds intriguing. I don't think it'll be good via default, but if it actually turns out good, then it'd be a pleasant surprise. I hope for a Pirates of the Caribbean style surprise. Though hopefully the possible Warcraft movie sequels won't be as nearly as bad as the PotC sequels.