Warcraft Live Action Movie Details

Atomicfog

That's a good thing. WoW generally makes a mockery of the Warcraft lore. Warcraft III does, too, but that's another story.

I'm one of the few who abandoned Warcraft due to continuity-bending. I also can't stand instancing.

I never played WOW, but there is hardly any continuity bending I've ever encountered throughout the rest of the awesome series.

If you've seen some of the prosthetics they've used in Pan's Labrynth, I wouldn't be surprised at all by what they *might* be able to pull. Then again, that was an incredible movie to compare to..

Oh yeah I've seen those, but they were also very very HOT and uncomfortable and *heavy*. They used similar stuff with the giant guys in Fragle Rock too.

It would be kind of cool if they did something like that and completely ignored CGI.

Oh yeah I've seen those, but they were also very very HOT and uncomfortable and *heavy*. They used similar stuff with the giant guys in Fragle Rock too.

It would be kind of cool if they did something like that and completely ignored CGI.

There is a large group of people that prefer costumes and puppets over CGI.

Allow me to quote myself, cause you seem to think I don't like the idea of using puppety type things?
No, I was just saying. There's a huge group of people that say CGI is a fad, puppets ftw, etc.

I like both, but puppets and miniatures do have a nice tangible quality to them. CGI is getting pretty damn good though, so it will soon be a pointless argument.

uhhh :?:

Quick google search reveals this:

Span of Years

-10,000 (Novel) War of the Ancients Trilogy:

- War of the Ancients Trilogy: The Well of Eternity (Richard A. Knaak)

- War of the Ancients Trilogy: The Demon Soul (Richard A. Knaak)

- War of the Ancients Trilogy: The Sundering (Richard A. Knaak)

-1 (Novel) Rise of the Horde (Christie Golden)

0 (PC Game) Warcraft: Orcs & Humans

- (Novel) The Last Guardian (Jeff Grubb)

6 (PC Game) Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness

8 (PC Game) Warcraft 2X: Beyond the Dark Portal

10 - (Novel) Day of the Dragon (Richard A. Knaak)

18 - (Novel) Lord of the Clans (Christie Golden)

19 - (Novel) Of Blood and Honor (Chris Metzen)

20 (PC Game) Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos

21 (PC Game) Warcraft 3X: The Frozen Throne

23 (Manga) The Sunwell Trilogy

- The Sunwell Trilogy: Dragon Hunt (Richard A. Knaak & Jae-Hwan Kim)

- The Sunwell Trilogy: Shadows of Ice (Richard A. Knaak & Jae-Hwan Kim)

- The Sunwell Trilogy: Ghostlands (Richard A. Knaak & Jae-Hwan Kim)

24 (Novel) Cycle of Hatred (Keith R. A. DeCandido)

25 (PC Game) World of Warcraft Begins

26 (PC Game) World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade

With that in mind, Metzer says the film will take place a year before the events in World of Warcraft began.

That would mean the movie takes place only 3 years after Warcraft 3, so the plot would likely use Warcraft 3's events as a backstory.

There’s no call yet on whether the Undead will be making an appearance. They’re still trying to determine if the film will be set before or after the Scourge align themselves with the Horde forces.
Hmm, not that I was ever looking forward to this, but I'm dissapointed that the story is about the events around Warcraft 3 (possibly minus the undead, which was probably the most interesting part), rather than the great backstories of Warcraft 1 and 2.

Look, your "uhhh" post made me waste 10 minutes making this boring post. For shame!

Yes, I investigated the timeline myself when I saw your comment and went "uhhh" to myself. Warcraft 3 may be "backstory" but the story of this movie is three years afterward, and only one year before World of Warcraft, so the events will most definitely be more connected to WoW, not based "around Warcraft 3." However, given that there's still a whole year of separation, the story is probably going to be stuff we haven't really seen yet.

Also I like how the article refers to the Scourge aligning with the Horde, when the Scourge has done no such thing--only a small band of Undead that have broken free from the Lich King's control to follow Sylvanas as the Forsaken. Either way, I don't really see how they could get away with cutting the Undead from the film entirely, as they're sort of central to the main plot of both WC3 and WoW and to cut them would be to make the ridiculous assertion that they just kind of lay low and disappear in the intervening years.

• 14 years later...
On 8/6/2007 at 10:56 PM, I-n-j-i-n said:

I actually want to play WoW, but I know I'll lose myself in it very quickly. I even get addicted to 3D pinball in Windows...

Also, the movie sounds intriguing. I don't think it'll be good via default, but if it actually turns out good, then it'd be a pleasant surprise. I hope for a Pirates of the Caribbean style surprise. Though hopefully the possible Warcraft movie sequels won't be as nearly as bad as the PotC sequels.

Thank god I never played WOW aside from the beta.  The Warcraft movie was pretty solid though they could do better.  You guys from 2007 would probably appreciate what they made though lul

Since we're already here, I can just regurgitate some of the things I've been musing on lately:

Microsoft would be foolish to not try and flesh out a Warcraft TV series. Especially with how good the Halo series is right now (I should probably make a thread about that, by itself). The series could work similarly to how the Mandalorian and the Witcher work, by having a season-by-season schedule, but introducing characters and shifting focus for each season.

Season 1, Warcraft: Arthas - Season 1 follows Arthas, leading up to, and during the human campaign of Warcraft 3. It can be done with minimal CG since it has an almost exclusively human cast, and it could introduce Jaina, Kael'thas, Khadgar, Uther, and Kel'thuzad. We can see Arthas's early years, and then early on see Khadgar coming to warn against the plague. We'd follow this right up until Arthas takes up Frostmorne.

Season 2, Thrall - This picks up with basically the Horde campaign in Warcraft 3. Thrall gets a vision from Medivh, and brings the orcs to Kalimdor, introduces Rexar, Vol'jin, Cairne, and Chen stormstout, but also revisiting Jaina and introducing the Nightelves.

Season 3, Illidan - This could retell the night elf storyline, starting with some Grom Hellscream shit, but then be primarily from Illidans perspective. It could arguably be from Tyrande or Malfurion perspective, but since Illidan is a bigtime fan-favorite and is largely present in the Frozen Throne storyline, it seems like it would be a safer bet.

The undead campaign could be a season in itself, but since it sets up the grande finale plot, it could also be shifted to a full movie, Avengers style, where Thrall, Jaina, Malfurion and Tyrande, all show up together to fight Archimonde while Illidan and Arthas fuck off to Northrend.

It just makes too much sense.

Edited by Ramaniscence

• 6 months later...