CMC - Conceptual Music Competition 11: Coronation

Abadoss

CMC: Conceptual Music Competition

abadoss-CMC.jpg

This competition is based on the rules of the classic TOMC (Thematic Original Music Competition).

The CMC (Conceptual Music Competition) is designed so that each participant enters a piece of music based on a set theme. The participants take the theme and interpret it as they will to come up with something that fits. Any style can work, as long as it portrays a sense of what the theme is.

Feel free to be imaginative!

Each successive theme will be chosen by the winner of the previous competition. For example, say the theme of the last competition, CMC 15, was "Falling Timbers" and the winner, Fiona, submitted a piece that knocked the socks off of everyone, so she won. Fiona then gets to decide the theme for CMC 16.

This competition is open to registered members of the forums of

OverClocked ReMix, VGMix, Ormgas, VGMusic, SheezyArt, Gaming World, and Young Composers.

CMC8-forums.jpg

CMC 11: Coronation

"Outside, the masses gather to witness history. Shouts and cheers abound, as the people crowd in to see. Through the curtain stands one who has conquered the indefatigable, battled the invincible, and defeated the indestructable. It is now time for that one to ascend to the throne and lead the people into glory."

Results!:

There are 9 entries for this round...

Rich Douglas - "The Pain of Duty"

• "It has been 100 years since the world destroyed itself... after all the wars, bickering, and selfishness, man finally caved in on himself nuking everything and everyone sending the world back into the stone age. The NAO (New American Order made up of Mexico, North America, and Canada) fired the first warheads on september 18th 2024. Three hours later, at exactly 6:37 pm Iraq and Korea fired back, soon followed by Russia and The European Coalition... the "battle" lasted 1 hour and 3 minutes before everything was destroyed.
    One man was brave enough to emerge from the vaults some 30 years ago, this man was only known as "The Traveler". Over the course of 3 decades he fought the foul mutants man has become, saved the lives of many innocents trapped in what was now hell on earth, a nuclear disaster. The world is now ready to be rebooted, "The Traveler" waits to greet the many people he has freed. Now older, wounded from many battles and the hardships of the new way of life, he struggles to stand and walk down the steps of the former white house... he must overcome the pain to fulfill his duty... he is now the leader of the new world."

Chickenwarlord - "The Crown"

• "A jaunty walk through a cheering crowd, the up and coming Monarch wields an uncertain off kilter demeanor. His face constantly shifts, as if looking for a new emotion to describe his feelings. Things become more solid as the object of ceremony draws nearer to his head."

Argitoth - "Birth of a Sun"
  • "0:00 - 0:50
    The camera pans revealing once-great and prosperous cities now laying in destruction. Rain starts to pour, the sky becomes dark.
    0:50 - 2:00
    Scenes start to appear revealing the weapons of mass destruction, revealing planets exploding, revealing great warriors cut to pieces without a chance. Large ships are revealed flying across the camera as they fire huge beams of energy.
    2:00 - 2:48 (light percussion comes in)
    Now the camera reveals the comeback of the mechanical men. The cyborg wars are finally over.
    2:48 - 3:40 (trumpets come in)
    Now the camera reveals the ceremony welcoming back our hero. Thousands of mechanical men line up on either side of the road. Our hero walks slowly to the stage.
    3:40 - 4:25 (acoustic percussion comes in)
    As our hero takes the stage, the mechanical men roar with pride. Our hero looks around to the thousands of cyborgs. The camera pans revealing thousands.
    4:25 - 6:32 (music becomes soft again)
    Now the camera reveals the great rebuilding... The end.
    Right before the song ends:
    The camera zooms in on a cyborg left in pecies. An evil entity regains conciousness... (to be continued)"

Hemophiliac - "Sonata in F: Coronation"

• "In a coronation of a king, I found myself trying to put myself into the king's shoes, and think what he would be feeling or thinking at the moment of coronation. I'm sure there's probably a bit of reflection of the horrible things that were done in order for victory to be achieved and for him to be in his place today...however, that all gets pushed aside and he lets the glory of the day take him and he forgets it for the moment but keeps it in the back of his mind; for it will never leave him."

Luke Mathers - "Coronation"
  • "It is the day of coronation in an eastern European country. Crowds line up to witness the procession into the terrific palace. The crown-prince, just a young boy, timidly tip-toes his way up to the majestic palace. His attention is briefly detained by a band of gypsies, but continues on. As he reaches the top, he glances back at the cheering crowd and faints. He then 'wakes up' in a ball room, the site of the coronation ball, and sees the gypsies he saw earlier dancing. Later, he is trampled upon by the much larger noblemen, but then seeks solace in a female counterpart. The boy spirals in and out of conciousness, and truly wakes up, coming to the realization that everything was a dream."

BravoSector - "Coronation" (Lyrics)

• "I just wanted to make something simple, so I didn't have any expectations or plans. I put it what I thought would work. The effect in the beginning was made with Guitar Pro 5, and all the acoustic guitar parts were done by me. It was mixed for a few hours in Audicity. The lyrics took two minutes to write and record. The hardest part was syncing up all the parts. I'm surprised it turned out so well."

James Householder IV - "Bb Coronation for Brass Choir"
  • "This piece was written to convey the strong emotions seen throughout the day of an important ceremony: the coronation of a new leader. It begins with a swelling fanfare anouncing his arrival, followed by a main theme depicting the happy peasants in particularly jaunty moods. The ringing speech of their new leader to be reflects on the dark times in the near past, the hardships caused by the previous ruler. He tells of what greatness he plans for as their new ruler. Finally, he is crowned. The crowd explodes with excitement again and stronger and soon is following behind the joyful processional. The cries and jeers die away in the distance, and we hear the faintest hint of the fanfare over the horizon as the new ruler sets off towards the setting sun to greet those in nearby establishments."

Abadoss - "The Reluctant King"

• "Following the wake of the king's death, the rightful heir to throne ascends to take his father's place. In the place of his father place, too ill to fight, he led his country to relative victory in a bloody and relentless war. Each battle is worn on his face. Weary, he reluctantly accepts the crown. His hope lies only in the possibility of rebuilding and restoring his people to glory and peace."

The Prophet of Mephisto - "Fanfare for the Ascension of the Warmaster"
  • "Fanfare for the Ascension of the Warmaster is NOT intended to be a happy fanfare. Hence the minor key. The point of this song was to not only herald the hero and his exploits in all his glory, but to also foreshadow the coming war with his mortal enemies the next country over. The fight will be a long and bloody one, and this ceremony will be the last time anyone has a chance to celebrate for a long time. That's why it varies between sounding happy and sounding driven. The general feel is that while everyone else is excited and celebrating, the Warmaster (our illustrious hero) is brooding about the coming war."

Voting Rules!:

• Voters will be allowed to pick a first place (3 points) and any number of honorary mentions (1 point). Only one set of votes from any one voter will be accepted and a person cannot vote for any one piece more than once. Corrections to votes, from the original voter only, will be accepted, but corrections will void the previous votes. Basically, a voter can vote and correct the vote, but only the final form of that vote will be counted. Send all votes to
Abadoss by PM. Please include any and all constructive critiques (not to be confused with bashing) about them with your votes as well, so that there's always a sense of growth in the artform. If you wish to remain anonymous, just state so in your PM. Thanks.

• The voting period will last from the moment the entries are posted in the thread to the Saturday of that week. The voting period for this round ends August 25, so be sure to spend some time really listening to the pieces.

• Any participant in the competition can vote, but not for their own pieces. However, in an effort to encourage voting among participants, any participant who votes will have 2 points added to their voting score.

Official Rules!:

1. Each piece must be originally composed for this competition. Arrangements and remixes will not be accepted. (Pieces composed by the participant prior to the competition will not be accepted.)
  2. Each piece must be 2:00 or longer and match the competition theme.
  3. Only one entry per person. Collaborations will be allowed, but each collaborator may not submit any other pieces. (This also means that a person cannot collaborate on two or more different pieces at the same time.)
  4. A link to the entry piece must be PMed to Abadoss prior to the deadline set for each competition. DO NOT POST THE LINK IN THE THREAD! However, feel free to post in the WIP:Other forum.
  5. Important: Each file must be labelled accordingly: Composer_Name_-_Composition_Title_CMC#.mp3
    (For example, if Barry Daniels submits a piece called "At the Pool of Lemonade" to CMC 20, then his filename would be: Barry_Daniels_-_At_the_Pool_of_Lemonade_CMC20.mp3)
  6. MP3 file format is required. Know that even OGG will need to be converted into MP3. (If someone is unable to do so themselves, Abadoss would be willing and able to do it for them.)
  7. Entries should be accompanied by a description and/or story to help listeners understand what the piece is about. (Not required, though.)
  8. All entries must be submitted by Saturday, August 18, 2007 at 11:59 PM - PST, GMT-8.

You can find the competition threads for each forum listed below:

Good luck and have fun! :D

Previous CMCs: http://www.warnerpacific.edu/personal/kkeyn/CMC.htm

shoot, I wanted to participate but I desparately need to focus on composing self-promotional material. I was hoping I could pull the next CMC off with electronic music genre. This theme obviously requires full orchestra and hand percussion which samples I need are coming this month! :(

My plan was to win and then change the theme in my self-promotional favor. DANGIT!

It's rather funny that when I saw the theme, I instantly thought of the coronation music from Transformers the Movie (the 1986 movie, not the new one). Made me want to do something like that. (At the time, I have to say Vince DiCola was a damned genius! Now, if only he was still doing work...)